Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many times our defenders went for the spoil, only for the ball to get out the back. Need to keep the ball out front.

Very tough lesson for the boys tonight. But I hope they look at that as a great reminder about what it will take to win finals. Fagan will get them up and they will bounce back hard next week. I still believe.

Too many times our defenders went for the spoil, only for the ball to get out the back. Need to keep the ball out front.
They've been good all year and spoiling to our advantage as well. Richmond played the body contact well, kept the guys off-balance to avoid that.

Disappointing but outclassed. The game was summed by Martin's throw to Riewoldt.

There will be a few players in the NEAFL team hoping to bust down the door for next week.

Here it is: Channel 7 thinks it's funny but I didn't.

Really think we can get over gws but will be hard work. Need to get back to basics. All forwards need to do boxing training this week and kick 200 times for goal each day.

Also fages a bit stubborn at times I think with not tagging some players. Surprised robbo wasnt tagging martin.

Lastly I keep an open mind but geez richm9nd and their supporters are hard to like. Will be happy to see anyone but them do well.

Really think we can get over gws but will be hard work. Need to get back to basics. All forwards need to do boxing training this week and kick 200 times for goal each day.

Also fages a bit stubborn at times I think with not tagging some players. Surprised robbo wasnt tagging martin.

Lastly I keep an open mind but geez richm9nd and their supporters are hard to like. Will be happy to see anyone but them do well.

Martin played predominantly forward

Such a great first quarter and then such a horrible capitulation. Four points for the quarter and once again, missing shots on goal at key moments.

Both Answerth and Bailey were found out again as being are too small against Richmond. Witherden was terrible, as was Gardiner and Adams.

We have players with plenty of senior experience like Mathieson, Walker, Lester, Keays and Bastinac and they must get a run.

With Robinson looking like he will be out injured, Bastinac should get a game on the wing. McStay, our FULL FORWARD has kicked a total of 3 goals in 8 games and we can’t afford to carry him any longer. His miss in the second quarter was unforgivable. He is not up to it.

NEXT WEEK.

Out: Robinson(inj), McStay, Answerth, Bailey, Adams.

In: Bastinac, Walker, Keays, Lester and Mathieson.

Even though it totally sucks to lose this match I was telling myself at times “considering no one in the universe had us finishing 2nd and playing two home finals to boot” I’m not actually that disappointed about this game which is a really odd feeling.
I’m always filthy when we lose but for some reason I’m not tonight. Go figure.
I think it’s the total unexpected feeling of being in this position in September so quickly!

Anyway enough of my musings....Richmond had a lot of the answers tonight as I expected considering the players they have and their recent 2 years worth of finals experience too.

Though if that first quarter had gone differently with our goal kicking then it might have been a very different end result I think. The only way is up after this! Especially with our younger players too.

Winning next week and making a prelim vs the Pies at the G would be unbelievable. Shades of 2003 there too.

Ok folks I was at a wedding in Rockhampton and could only get the scores How is it we dominated most of the stats yet got flogged ? Doesn't make sence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad luck ladies and gents, boot up next week and go again, because you can’t be that unlucky around goals two weeks in a row with your talent!!
You’re worthy of a Pre-lim!👍

GWS are no certainties to back up next week.They were exceptional today against the Dogs but we are probably a better match up. Having said that, our confidence won't be high after this drubbing. We definitely didn't handle the pressure which is understandable. If you had said before the game that Riewoldt and Lynch would be well held you would have predicted a Lions victory. Just shows what a complete side the Tigers are. Robbo will be a loss.

McInerney, Andrews, Adams, Charlie all completely terrible. Andrews worst game of the year, McInerney has to be dropped for next week. Rayner on the other hand played his best game for the season.
Andrews looked oddly uninterested tonight and as a vice captain had beyond poor body language from the vision on the tv which is not something I’ve ever seen from him before.

Such a great first quarter and then such a horrible capitulation. Four points for the quarter and once again, missing shots on goal at key moments.

Both Answerth and Bailey were found out again as being are too small against Richmond. Witherden was terrible, as was Gardiner and Adams.

We have players with plenty of senior experience like Mathieson, Walker, Lester, Keays and Bastinac and they must get a run.

With Robinson looking like he will be out injured, Bastinac should get a game on the wing. McStay, our FULL FORWARD has kicked a total of 3 goals in 8 games and we can’t afford to carry him any longer. His miss in the second quarter was unforgivable. He is not up to it.

NEXT WEEK.

Out: Robinson(inj), McStay, Answerth, Bailey, Adams.

In: Bastinac, Walker, Keays, Lester and Mathieson.
Bit harsh on Answerth and Bailey IMO. I’d be dropping Hipwood before Adams

Richmond have peaked early. We’ll beat them in the GF.
Agreed.

Disgraceful effort tonight.

We’re like a deer in the headlights when we play on the big stage.

Hate to think how much we’ll get pumped by Collingwood in the unlikely event we beat GWS.
I hope this was a joke post

Bad kicking, bad umpiring decisions when the game was on the line (and off the line, that Martin throw, smh) and a Tigers side that punished our every mistake.

Make no mistake, they thoroughly deserved this win. We were bad tonight though, not through Richmond’s doing like they did in R23 but by our own short comings.

I don’t believe Fages will be over reactionary with changes, if any at all. We should have the Giants covered and we’ve shown over the year we don’t have two bad kicking nights in a row.

Lastly, if we do beat the Giants, we get a GF type game as a reward. MCG prelim against the Pies. Win or lose, we gain so much experience from this campaign. Must win against GWS to gain it though.

Go Lions.
This was a much more level-headed post than on the main board. I'm impressed by your quick improvement!

For those disappointed. Listen to Richmond players genuinely pumping us up.
I turned to the cricket... what did they say!!?

---

Kicking and (i hate to say it) umpiring killed us. But you have to overcome adversity to win a flag. We didn't overcome the adversity tonight and kept kicking poorly. Regardless we went head to head with them everywhere else. If we bring our best intensity next week the Giants won't match us. Can't wait!

Whitho horrible tonight. Totally flacid.

Zorko lacked composure.
Neale very good.
Best game from Rayner this year. I sooooo hoped he kicked the second set shot. Shattered he missed it... but still a great improvement.

Robbo off as well. I'd like to see Keays replace him.
Got very little from Cameron.

Hodge played a great game.

Hipwood zero out of 10
Berry some good marks out of defence, but otherwise horrible.

Umpires a joke. Called anything for Richmond.... Nothing for us... only when the tigers pulled away did they ease up

Ok folks I was at a wedding in Rockhampton and could only get the scores How is it we dominated most of the stats yet got flogged ? Doesn't make sence

Awful, awful kicking for goal, wasteful entry into our forward 50, and no answer for a rampant Dusty.

Back