Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

That's nice and all, but i wouldn't waste your breath on that one. Scott won't learn a thing from the loss to Collingwood, why should he, he hasn't learned from all the teams in the last eight weeks that beat us using those same tactics. I bet the WCE will learn something though, and that's what you need to do to stop the Cats. But Chris Scott, no he doesn't learn, doesn't change, just keeps hoping for the best. He's happy with mediocrity.

I will be gutted if you loose, however don’t underestimate the CATS. If the players re watch the game and look at Danger’s game they will realise the difference between winning and losing is what danger possess, a unrelentingly desire to win ,to never give up ,his attitude is perfection . What a role model he is. We have all seen clubs i.e WCE think they r better than everyone else. Adversity reveals true character and if the players ( stewart correct if my spelling is incorrect had , a good game also ) model there desire on dangers , anything is possible. All the players have to do, is play for the famous blue and white hoops the way danger does everytime he takes to the field and you have every chance to win. Also they should look at the footage of the late Polly Farmer play for another source of inspiration. The cats are just as good as anyone else and when they unlock their true potential , that is one reason they got to top spot.

I hate to raise this, but post match one of our most senior men Harry Taylor refused to stand in the line for Pendles carry off. He deferred by standing behind it and the rest of his team and then he refused to clap him. It was a horrid lack of sportsmanship and reeked of the attitude of his coach of the last 10 years. Just an observation...

This also coming from the bloke who ran around like a turkey after winning the QF 3 years earlier when Isaac Smith missed post siren. The wheel turn the full circle!! Time to join your coach in the pastoring paddocks, Harry.
Interesting. It could just be personal. Maybe went too far on a sledge. Who knows.

Both our teams played an honest, hard fought game of footy. We got the jump in the first quarter and held on by the skin of our teeth in our scoreless last quarter.
Of course I, along with many other Pies supporters, will be barracking for the Cats against the Weagles. Our two great Victorian clubs are the real deal, not some made up AFL franchise. Go get 'em, Cats!

Both our teams played an honest, hard fought game of footy. We got the jump in the first quarter and held on by the skin of our teeth in our scoreless last quarter.
Of course I, along with many other Pies supporters, will be barracking for the Cats against the Weagles. Our two great Victorian clubs are the real deal, not some made up AFL franchise. Go get 'em, Cats!
Spare me

Atkins went at 47% and had 13 of his 19 disposals as handballs, has to be one of the worst games of all time.
It’s tough for a young bloke, but he looked totally out of his depth from the beginning.

You can expect that young players will get better at handling pressure as they mature, but I am convinced that the best big game players (not necessary the best players) are good from the start. Look at Cam Rainer’s first final today. He took the game on, even while making mistakes.

I think it is fair to say, based on the QF, that Atkins will never be a good finals performer.
On that basis, I would look for a replacement, who may not be a better player, but that can perform on the big stage

Harsh, yes - but, the current approach is not yielding players with the mentality to win finals.

Yep missing at least 6 of best 22.

Langdon
Beams
Cox
De Goey
Greenwood

Even guys like quaynor, reid, dunn, Aish who might just play
I know 2 of those didn't play after half time on Friday night but what you are saying is even after all those injuries to the best 22 of the pies, we still couldn't beat them. *.

Out of curiosity what is our injury list like? Is it comparable?

Last edited:
I've got to admit to this as well. I thought we'd come 8th at the beginning of the season. Against my better judgement I got my hopes up and feel like a bloody idiot for doing so. The way we're playing now is about my initial expectation. I'm mostly upset about how ugly our game is now.
Don't worry, we all got our hopes up

Wouldn't be so sure on Ablett. He's been caught like that before, fumbled, dropped marks etc.

Selwood is almost toast though.

Hasn't been 35 in a final before though. Was sad to watch, but that was the first time I thought the game had gone past him. Finals intensity does that.

There's a collective panic mentality that seems to be transmitted to all of the players, old and new.
I totally agree and believe that this falls at the feet of the coaches.

The pies came out breathing fire, even the average ones and the youngsters. We came out totally meek and timid, with a few exceptions.

I know 2 of those didn't play after half time on Friday night but what you are saying is even after all those injuries to the best 22 of the pies, we still couldn't beat them. ****.

Out of curiosity what is our injury list like? Is it comparable?

They are the better team at the moment and have a stronger list and at the end of the day that was evident last season when they made a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s tough for a young bloke, but he looked totally out of his depth from the beginning.

You can expect that young players will get better at handling pressure as they mature, but I am convinced that the best big game players (not necessary the best players) are good from the start. Look at Cam Rainer’s first final today. He took the game on, even while making mistakes.

I think it is fair to say, based on the QF, that Atkins will never be a good finals performer.
On that basis, I would look for a replacement, who may not be a better player, but that can perform on the big stage

Harsh, yes - but, the current approach is not yielding players with the mentality to win finals.

I like atkins as a defensive forward he adds to the complete lack of speed when on ball has one pace turtle mode

Hasn't been 35 in a final before though. Was sad to watch, but that was the first time I thought the game had gone past him. Finals intensity does that.
I would wait for the next game before writing him off. he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.

What disappointed me most about the game was that we started the game playing as if we were protecting a lead that we didn't have. Stop start stationary ball movement, no attack or flair.

I would rather go down swinging than going down like a bunch of pussies (so to speak). It just seemed that hadn't learnt anything from previous finals losses.

I like atkins as a defensive forward he adds to the complete lack of speed when on ball has one pace turtle mode
I thought he did OK on more than one ocassion with his pressure. One instance in particular where he chased 3-4 separate ball carriers from half back to half fwd and was able to get a hand on Greenwood (?) enough to scrub his kick i50 for a turn over. If he was quicker he may not have had to chase that long, but he never looked like giving up. That was a damn sight more than I saw Danger, Kelly, Ablett et al offer.

I don't care about his age. How was he in the elimination final last year?

A full year younger.

People can pretend age doesn't matter. But it does. It catches everyone eventually, without exceptions.

His season has been very good verging on great. 33 goals as a small forward for Ablett now is an incredible return. But he clearly had lost a yard this season and was clever enough some of the time to not get caught out. But there was nowhere to hide Friday night.

Might be wrong, hope I'm wrong. But to ignore the physical reality with Ablett, Selwood (who if anything looks worse), and Taylor is just hopelessly naive.

I would wait for the next game before writing him off. he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.

What disappointed me most about the game was that we started the game playing as if we were protecting a lead that we didn't have. Stop start stationary ball movement, no attack or flair.

I would rather go down swinging than going down like a bunch of pussies (so to speak). It just seemed that hadn't learnt anything from previous finals losses.

I felt as though I knew within the first few minutes that we were done. A terrible feeling given our recent finals history and the fact our prep leading into this one was almost perfect.

How much did he say that the capacity would be then?

(It would have to be at least 45,000, or the club is wasting its time thinking we will ever get home finals).
About 40k I think. Even if it was over 50 I don't think it would matter re finals.
They even think Docklands is too small too small to play finals now.
Only way we get home finals is if thinking completely changes away from crowd numbers.

I hate to raise this, but post match one of our most senior men Harry Taylor refused to stand in the line for Pendles carry off. He deferred by standing behind it and the rest of his team and then he refused to clap him. It was a horrid lack of sportsmanship and reeked of the attitude of his coach of the last 10 years. Just an observation...

This also coming from the bloke who ran around like a turkey after winning the QF 3 years earlier when Isaac Smith missed post siren. The wheel turn the full circle!! Time to join your coach in the pastoring paddocks, Harry.

Nah, he was still in the line, probably dreaming. Could have shook his hand after the game, CBF turning on the replay to see.
Pendlebury didn't shake the umps hand at the toss, didn't hear much about that.
Collingwood choose their gear and are first onto the ground, didn't hear much outrage there, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back