Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods, I am hoping this isn’t merged into the Chris Scott re-signs’ thread....

I have staunchly defended Scott over the past five years, on BF and amongst friends.

But when I heard the pre-game news that Stanley was out, he lost me. I don’t know if it was his decision solely or whether the ‘brains trust’ decided having no ruck and taking Blicavs out of defence would be a good idea.

I thought it was crazy. I’d checked the BOM Radar and I couldn’t see any rain on the horizon. What was Scott thinking?

The game was lost in the first 10 minutes. Our defence was a rabble. Coincidence that our defence was without Blicavs?

I don’t know if Scott can recover from this monumental stuff up
Yep Scott lost me also with this decision. No faith in our year long process

I'm done. I really don't care for finals and after our 3 flags I'm pretty content. Just want to tune into a game of footy and see us win.

In saying that I don't see us going any further than just being competitive. I think we need a change. For all the talk of byes etc and to come as we did is unfathomable. The players are obviously too comfortable and need a new voice.

If we straight set I think that should be enough. Wont happen but I really wish it does.

Scott over analysis the game and coaches the team into stupidity.

He has his reasons for the change but it is too hard for us to understand. Even though all of the public do not get it.

We are destined to spiral if he continues his grip on the job.

shouldn't be a surprise

lets drop our best ruck against the best ruck in the competition 2013 qualifying final

Scott's ego can't handle trying to minimise a losing situation so he goes all in to try turn it into a win.

We all know Stanley wont beat Grundy in the ruck but he is the best we have. In Scott's mind he thinks he can get a win by having Blicavs dominate the ground ball and win as an extra mid. Then everyone will say what a great coach he is for making such a match winning decision.

shouldn't be a surprise

lets drop our best ruck against the best ruck in the competition 2013 qualifying final

Scott's ego can't handle trying to minimise a losing situation so he goes all in to try turn it into a win.

We all know Stanley wont beat Grundy in the ruck but he is the best we have. In Scott's mind he thinks he can get a win by having Blicavs dominate the ground ball and win as an extra mid. Then everyone will say what a great coach he is for making such a match winning decision.

Even if there was some merit to that thinking - and there isn't much - the reality is Blicavs gets less of the ball playing as a ruckman. So it hurts the team by not having the best ruck option in there, and it hurts Blicavs by taking him away from his best position, and he gets less of the ball. Lose-lose-lose.

Do they not know about bom’s rain radar? It clearly showed there was bugger all rain around. To make that decision on the basis of it could rain was about dumb as it gets. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
The rain was a furphy.

They were always planning on executing this late change ( as Scott predictably does regularly) to get one up on the opposition.

Look at me Im so clever

David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley).

“I think Chris wants to be the reason they win. I think you’ve got to trust your players and set up the systems and endorse the program in totality and say you guys are going to be the reason we win. You don’t have to win every game from the coaches box.”
Thats a perfect summation

Our players play this rigid, overthought, straightjacketed style, merely pawns on the chessboard where the puppet master pulls the strings.

Ego driven mess we have here now.

He simply has to go

Have you seen the board? Checked it out the other evening. Don’t exactly scream out as progressive, strong, critical types. Have zero faith that they would reprimand Scott after Friday’s nights debacle.
I think it would be unusual for any board in football to criticise decision by decision. The accountability is ultimately about job security.

David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley)."
Is Chris seriously intelligent?

Stanley has been inconsistent all year
The decision weeks ago to test blitz as a ruck was because the ruck situation was not working

as for the rose coloured glasses re bomber is hilarious
he stuffed up 06 and 10 -

the match committee dont determine whether players kick straight
much like the lions game last night, had they kicked straight and put the pressure on the tigers there may have been a different result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would be unusual for any board in football to criticise decision by decision. The accountability is ultimately about job security.

I’d agree with that. And don’t necessarily expect it would or should be done before our season is complete. But post season it should be. I think it will be buried.

shouldn't be a surprise

I know you don't agree with it. But I'll just add the stupitity of it with this: Stanley can sprint down the forward line and impact there. Blicavs can't. Blicavs is an asset in the backline, and a bloody disaster in the forward line. Blicavs is not a great kick or a decision maker. I have no idea what his I50s are, but I doubt they are any good, and he has zero goal sense. So my question is, how can he blow up an opposition ruckman if he is useless in one half of the ground?

Hey, but Stanley has great areobic capacity and he is a threat in the forward line. Ummm......

I’d agree with that. And don’t necessarily expect it would or should be done before our season is complete. But post season it should be. I think it will be buried.
I expect Cook and the board will dissect it all again. That’s their job.

Stanley has been inconsistent all year
The decision weeks ago to test blitz as a ruck was because the ruck situation was not working

as for the rose coloured glasses re bomber is hilarious
he stuffed up 06 and 10 -

the match committee dont determine whether players kick straight
much like the lions game last night, had they kicked straight and put the pressure on the tigers there may have been a different result
Blicavs hasn't been inconsistent though. He consistently plays great in defence and s**t in the ruck. The decision must have been made in part by how the team went when they won agains weak teams when Blicavs was rucking. Not on what Blicavs actually acheived.

I wonder if that poor bastard that criticized Scott at the AGM a couple of years back and his balls ripped off would still be interested in the coaching job.
I don't blame Scott it's others that have kept him in the position,plenty here worked him out long ago,any coach who takes 48 hours to deduce why they lost a game of footy shouldn't sit in the coaches box game day.

For the sake of the supporter, I hope that there is a public acknowledgement of the cluster fxxk that happened on Fri. And maybe what has transpired post bye.
The acknowlegement is just ther start. Next step is why the decision was made. And does the "why" point to a mindset.

Remember when the Geelong heiarchy was babbling on about how we have to stay in the 8 to be relevant? God, that was defeatist talk, I thought. 8th is mediocre, but a pass mark, apparently.

I thought before the game that the big danger for us was too tall.

The MC needed to drop a tall. The obvious player to drop was Harry but they couldn’t make the call.

The only other option would have been dropping Sav and playing Harry up forward parts and Blitz to 2nd ruck. Too messy.

I was ok with dropping a tall but Stanley was the wrong option when facing Grundy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello Chris Scott

What they need to dissect is why their annual dissections don't achieve anything.
Not sure that’s fair. Changes were made over the summer that meant the team put itself into a position none of us thought possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back