Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The club needs to make a submission to the AFL for costing us directly a few goals through poor umpiring at crucial times. Eddie would be furious if that happened to his Collingwood. We also refuse to have Nichols umpire us again and expect an afl apology.

Hipwood reverse free kick for a dive
Hipwood mark a non given mark
Dustin Martin throw on wrong side of body umpires star struck goal
Bundy head high in 50 play on
Oscar mark play on

That's 2 or 3 goals there from blatant umpiring mistakes that the AFL needs to make sure these umpires never operate in finals again

Look, we can bitch and moan about the umpiring for all that we want but we all know it is pointless. The AFL won't acknowledge any of it and I will eat my hat if I see otherwise.

At the end of the day we kicked 8.17 and they kicked 18.4. A lot of stats were promising, but ultimately that there is what wins and loses a game. If we were accurate, even with all these flaws in our rebound protection and Hipwood's actual mark still not being paid, Grimes' remarkable diving talents and Dusty's one handed handballing... if we were accurate this would've been an entirely different review thread.

You can't kick behinds all night in a final and expect to win. We need to bring that 1st quarter intensity and sharpen up in front of goals for next week. GWS continuously mauled the Doggies yesterday on and off the ball, and no doubt will bring their roughhouse facade next week. We need to be able to match it and get the score.

Neds can fk right off though. :thumbsdown:

Am I the only one that didn't think umpiring was that bad?

Riches HTB was 50/50 but he led with his shoulder then laid on it.

Where's the prior opportunity? That's what drives me nuts - the umpires just throw out that interpretation when it suits them.

Grimes took a dive but silly by Hipwood.

I don't think silly by Hipwood (which I agree with) cancels out or justifies a bad decision, so I don't think it belongs in the list.

Hipwoods mark was not a mark IMO, he didn't get his hands under it.

The replays looked pretty clear that he kept it off the ground until he had control of it.

The Dusty one to start the half was there, Adams was holding his jumper.

The Astbury holding that deneyed McStay a mark was tough, but Bundy turned to face him and grabbed his arm.

Already discussed the Dusty one. I have zero issues with the Astbury one.

Bundys head high was a howler.

As was Dusty's throw. As was (IMO) Cotchin's forceful contact below the knee that hobbled Robbo. When the umpires manage to get the commentators talking about decisions in disbelief, it's a bad comment on their standard.

There were some other mistakes but really, I think the umpire thing is a bit overstated, we got plenty our way too. Defs not the difference or worth being a huge focus.

I'd rather talk about professional athletes who can't register a score from 30 meters out. The psychology with us and the big stage is horrid.

I don't think it's the difference. I think Richmond outplayed us. I just think the umpiring was ******* awful.

Not one angle on the coverage showed the ball making direct contact with the grass so unless the umpire saw an angle we didn’t (which anything’s possible given the amount of obvious things they missed all night) or you saw at the ground, I’m not sure how you say that.
That one I can understand them getting it wrong - it was a hell of a mark, but it would've been hard to spot and the umpire clearly guessed and guessed wrong. Doesn't make it right but it was one of the less egregious efforts.

I watched from section 70 in the tigers area. There was one lions fan two seats down but he seemed to clap more for Richmond. I loved the first quarter, loved Rayners goal, was fine with the second quarter but knew we wasted good chances, then it all just fell to bits.

I really like Chris Fagan as a coach and in his press conference he showed that he is all class. The one thing I struggle with are his responses to team composition, particularly after a loss, when he deflects and suggests that he will be looking at the NEAFL to see who is in form, as if this is going to influence selection. This season it clearly hasn’t. That hasn’t been a major problem for us this year because we were flying after the bye and able to carry players, but now that we are playing finals it is an issue. We have a number of players who are terribly out of form and Fagan now needs to honour his implied statement that NEAFL form matters by elevating players who are in form to replace the “passengers” we currently have in our senior team. A good place to start is to replace our Full Forward, who has kicked THREE goals in EIGHT GAMES. If Fagan is serious about winning, then Walker, Keays, Mathieson, Bastinac and probably Lester need to be considered for selection. Many of these players have consistently been selected as EMERGENCIES, and I would suggest that after last night WE HAVE AN EMERGENCY!

For the record, last night our EMERGENCIES were Keays, Walker, Taylor and Lester. Surely Keays and Walker deserve a run against GWS.

Last edited:
I really like Chris Fagan as a coach and in his press conference he showed that he is all class. The one thing I struggle with are his responses to team composition, particularly after a loss, when he deflects and suggests that he will be looking at the NEAFL to see who is in form, as if this is going to influence selection. This season it clearly hasn’t. That hasn’t been a major problem for us this year because we were flying after the bye and able to carry players, but now that we are playing finals it is an issue. We have a number of players who are terribly out of form and Fagan now needs to honour his implied statement that NEAFL form matters by elevating players who are in form to replace the “passengers” we currently have in our senior team. A good place to start is to replace our Full Forward, who has kicked THREE goals in EIGHT GAMES. If Fagan is serious about winning, then Walker, Keays, Mathieson, Bastinac and probably Lester need to be considered for selection. Many of these players have consistently been selected as EMERGENCIES, and I would suggest that after last night WE HAVE AN EMERGENCY!

Do you seriously believe we won 9 games in a row carrying (based off your suggested ins) 4-5 passengers a game?

Am I the only one that didn't think umpiring was that bad?

Riches HTB was 50/50 but he led with his shoulder then laid on it.

Grimes took a dive but silly by Hipwood.

Hipwoods mark was not a mark IMO, he didn't get his hands under it.

The Dusty one to start the half was there, Adams was holding his jumper.

The Astbury holding that deneyed McStay a mark was tough, but Bundy turned to face him and grabbed his arm.

Bundys head high was a howler.

There were some other mistakes but really, I think the umpire thing is a bit overstated, we got plenty our way too. Defs not the difference or worth being a huge focus.

I'd rather talk about professional athletes who can't register a score from 30 meters out. The psychology with us and the big stage is horrid.
Your understating the first few mate

Sorry for the intrusion guys, just want to say that you guys put up a hell of a fight last night. You have an incredibly talented young list and are exciting to watch! Fagan has done a terrific job up there!

The scoreboard DEFINITELY flatters us and we got extremely lucky you guys didn't blow us out in the first half. The margin belies exactly how close and even it was. I feel you guys got a few bum calls from the umps, most notably Dusty's throw, which again would have made the scores closer in the end.

It's a shame about Robbo. The bloke is an absolute jet and been a great recruit for you. Hoping it's not too serious.

Anyway, I wish you guys all the best for the rest of the finals and hope we can meet again in the GF (Lions are my second favourite team), so I hope if we don't win it, you guys do.

If not this year, you guys will DEFINITELY give it a real shake in 2020 with more games into Answerth, McLuggage, Andrews, Hipwood and your younger brigade! Bright signs for the future!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you seriously believe we won 9 games in a row carrying (based off your suggested ins) 4-5 passengers a game?
Hey Nunez, the difficult thing during the season is that players were almost taking it in turns going missing. Clearly if you have a Full Forward who has kicked three goals in eight games you have an issue and we do need to look at our Forward line and think about what changes we could make. I’m not talking about plucking a pet player from the ressies and giving them a run, I am saying that Fagan and the Match Committee need to look at the four players THEY have identified as EMERGENCIES and add them to the Seniors. I would include Keays, Walker and Lester without any problem.

Keays in for Robinson (injured)
Walker in for McStay
Lester in for Adams

Last edited:
I'm honestly at a loss on the Hipwood mark, he gets his hands on it but it lands directly on the grass.. he didn't get under it, they never get paid.
Did you umpire last night? He got his hands under it and it did not touch the grass. You really pushing the umpiring thing aren’t you. Problem is it’s on tape for everyone to see. It was disgraceful.

For the record, last night our EMERGENCIES were Keays, Walker, Taylor and Lester. Surely Keays and Walker deserve a run against GWS.
None of these players would have made a dent in last nights performance. We have our best team out there at the moment and are capable of matching the best in my view. NEAFL players are not the missing link between us and a flag.

Did you umpire last night? He got his hands under it and it did not touch the grass. You really pushing the umpiring thing aren’t you. Problem is it’s on tape for everyone to see. It was disgraceful.

Other people are allowed to have opinions on forums Mate, a concept that still escapes you.

None of these players would have made a dent in last nights performance. We have our best team out there at the moment and are capable of matching the best in my view. NEAFL players are not the missing link between us and a flag.
Definitely, which is why we will go to the trade table again this off season and get 1/2 more players that fill a need/s.

Man it actually hurts a bit. We should've won last night. Seriously.

I'm just angry that we now can't slip up. We should beat GWS, 100% confident, but what if we randomly have an off game?

We're good enough to beat the Pies at the G, but it would be tough,

Hosting the Eagles would've been just so good

Definitely, which is why we will go to the trade table again this off season and get 1/2 more players that fill a need/s.
Yeah as much as I love the Mcstay and Hipwood combo I reckon we’ll go for another key forward. Mcstay is probably expendable at this point unfortunately.

Yeah as much as I love the Mcstay and Hipwood combo I reckon we’ll go for another key forward. Mcstay is probably expendable at this point unfortunately.
I'd give McStay one more season but yes we need a solid reliable KPF, Josh Bruce would have been excellent, looks like he's off to the Bulldogs though. Unfortunately they are hard to come by, maybe worth trying Marcus Adams forward and drop McStay back again.

Note- I'm talking next season not next week for the Adams/McStay swap around.

The worst part about the umpiring is you knew it was going to complete rubbish simply by the names selcted. When you see Nichols and Donlon selected you already know the level is going to utter rubbish, and they didnt disappoint. When you know ahead of time like that, you have a problem with your umpires.

Can we also tidy up the game so we aren't making it so hard for umpires to do their job. How and why has so much holding, throwing, scragging and downright cheating become part of the game.

Woken up, and the gloom surrounding last night has risen a bit, and I'm able to reflect on just how damn good Hodgey was. He's a champion.
Was great to watch him and his poise was sorely needed but at the same time concerning given the hole he will leave next year. Lester isn't the worst replacement but it's folly expecting anyone to cover the loss of Hodge completely.

BTW is Andrews carrying a niggle? Seems to have been nullified in the Richmond games. I guess Richmond's fwd set up meant he had to be more accountable than he would like to be but just didn't seem to have a heap of influence.

Last edited:
Back