Opinion Reasons to be Cheerful (Part Three)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as long as he and his children spend their winters in Melbourne for the next 16 or so years honing their father and son skills.

Probable fate for the Riewoldt boys:

40% chance that they will be playing American football
30% chance that they will be playing for the Tasmanian AFL team
30% chance that they will be playing for us.

Clearly not. It's been a considered approach ever since Lethlean entered the club and Bassat became president. You reckon Lethlean was an AFL plant and I reckon you are right, but not to destroy us, to strengthen us.

Quite apart from the AFL president being a Saints tragic, he's not about a let a Foundation club wither and die on the vine. They've invested oodles into us already, but we never get our top appointments right. Throw in a couple of sharp operators like Finnis and Lethlean to cut out the cancers and get this sick bird flying again.

Lethlean saw what we saw, a poor list stagnating under poor development and outdated coaching.

Step one: cut the cord and bin the coach and his rebuild, despite being beloved by the players. Keep him for now to avoid payout but write the year off.

Step two: change the list manager and terminate the fool who was responsible for the last few years of ineptitude.

Step three: Bring in an experienced coach with IP from the successful modern clubs to analyse the list and figure out what can be used free of pressure and attention.

Step four: bring in an experienced network man to turn players heads enough to give this anti-destination club a fighting chance.

Step five: flick the old coach and bring in the new coach to shake the players up.

Step six: turn the list over.

Step seven: sacrifice enough goats and virgins to appease the cruel footy gods and hold on for the ride of your career. Either infinite glory or everlasting redundancy awaits!

That's a fine summary, Austinnn. You're not one of his close mates from Old Xavs are you? If you are, could be time to ask for that cushy, well paid consultant's gig.

I couldn't have articulated the "Satan Plan" any better. His strategic ability has been demonstrated since the beginning of his tenure.

He inhereted a team on the edge of the cliff. In two years, I can see where he's heading, and how he is implementing his plan. His appointments seem to be doing well. There has definitely been change in the air.

Of course we need a strong trade period and sound development to follow up, but the current situation has a very different vibe to the shambles after RTB walked.

The administration has made me feel for the first time since the 2001 GT takeover, that it has clear direction and the right people to execute its plans. Fingers crossed! 🙏

Strong stuff DH. I agree on the thrust of your post. The list isn't that bad, it's ordinary, but a better organised development system and points of emphasis with coaching will give it a serious lift. Ratten is impressive. Not a superstar coach, but you don't need one, just an intelligent bloke that the players get behind, believe in, and follow as he steers the ship. That's him to me. Hopefully Josh Bruce is kept on because having him do the grunt work while King and Membrey feast will be a sight. Underrated point, the shambolic forward structure. Membrey is not a second option forward, he's a get out of jail free card on the third best back while the twin towers cop the heat. I think big max will make an impact. Unspoilable. Slot in Hill and some half decent nypsies from other clubs and we're away. I remain eco because I believe it's the sensible thing to do until the steam train really gets rolling, when types like Clark, King, Gresham, etc. are really doing damage. If the re-fix-built goes smoothly it might only be two seasons until for light at th end of the tunnel. The list situation reminds me a bit of Western Bulldogs c. 2014

Clearly not. It's been a considered approach ever since Lethlean entered the club and Bassat became president. You reckon Lethlean was an AFL plant and I reckon you are right, but not to destroy us, to strengthen us.

Quite apart from the AFL president being a Saints tragic, he's not about a let a Foundation club wither and die on the vine. They've invested oodles into us already, but we never get our top appointments right. Throw in a couple of sharp operators like Finnis and Lethlean to cut out the cancers and get this sick bird flying again.

Lethlean saw what we saw, a poor list stagnating under poor development and outdated coaching.

Step one: cut the cord and bin the coach and his rebuild, despite being beloved by the players. Keep him for now to avoid payout but write the year off.

Step two: change the list manager and terminate the fool who was responsible for the last few years of ineptitude.

Step three: Bring in an experienced coach with IP from the successful modern clubs to analyse the list and figure out what can be used free of pressure and attention.

Step four: bring in an experienced network man to turn players heads enough to give this anti-destination club a fighting chance.

Step five: flick the old coach and bring in the new coach to shake the players up.

Step six: turn the list over.

Step seven: sacrifice enough goats and virgins to appease the cruel footy gods and hold on for the ride of your career. Either infinite glory or everlasting redundancy awaits!

That's the issue, our list management has got troppo like Gubby's dungeon on a Saturday night. We need to keep a level head and phase out not burn down. This year reminds me of when we got Voss, Capuano, Lawrence, Gale and Callahan. Only we don't have the draft picks to get ourselves Rooey and Kosi. Perhaps it's delayed with King and King? I'm still in mourning that our 8 year rebuild is still feeling like it's year one.

That's a fine summary, Austinnn. You're not one of his close mates from Old Xavs are you? If you are, could be time to ask for that cushy, well paid consultant's gig.

I couldn't have articulated the "Satan Plan" any better. His strategic ability has been demonstrated since the beginning of his tenure.

He inhereted a team on the edge of the cliff. In two years, I can see where he's heading, and how he is implementing his plan. His appointments seem to be doing well. There has definitely been change in the air.

Of course we need a strong trade period and sound development to follow up, but the current situation has a very different vibe to the shambles after RTB walked.

The administration has made me feel for the first time since the 2001 GT takeover, that it has clear direction and the right people to execute its plans. Fingers crossed! 🙏

I reckon we need some elite talent not more players. I wish that someone had just come out and said it's phase 2 of the rebuild, we will suck for two more years but we will draft well and see what we can pluck out. Stayed the course and phased out the under performers while hovering around mid table and using the draft and FA to get some quality in the side. We are super young still and probably over performing for age and games played. Ripping it to the foundations is showing a lack of list management logic.

*Long Post Warning!

I missed the conflagration on here Saturday night. Probably a good thing, as I generally misbehave during a good old scrap, so I probably saved myself a little holiday from the forum. I did watch the game in full, albeit on TV. I stayed strangely tranquil, right until the end, when I simply got off the chair and turned the nightmare off. My darling commented on how well I was taking another final quarter capitulation. I didn't bother replying. I retreated to the computer and did what I normally do. Write. Not too well, as some on here remind me from time to time, but the process is incredibly cathartic. I think it's half the reason so many of us come on here.

What it demonstrates to me is there is still so much passion and care for this club. If everyone were ECO, Saturday night would not have happened. It's like when you have a nasty argument with those you love deeply, being kids and spouses/partners. Regrettable things are said in the heat of the moment, which upon reflection were neither meant, nor designed to hurt on an ongoing basis. "To err is human, to forgive is divine."(Bingle 2014)

Everyone on this forum has forgiven the St.Kilda Football Club more times than is generally regarded as healthy. We come back every year, like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Every year he ends up on his back, smothered in failure and disappointment. No one can challenge our loyalty, patience, and resilience. And yes, we deserve way better than what has been dished up in the past seven years. I do think, however, that we are again at a crossroads that we've come to many times before. The difference between now and the past? The lessons of the past have hopefully been learned. Like an addict that keeps relapsing, the club is running out of chances with its supporters, but for some visceral feeling, I believe this Board and the club will get it right. Call it a gut feeling, and I can assure you I have a very impressive gut! Maybe not premiership-right, but 2003-2011 right. The chance to be proud to publicly announce your support, the optimism of going to every game with a genuine shot, the thrill of finals and the hope that brings.

I remember talking to Bevo after the 2007 season. I asked him if the thrilling roller coaster '03-'06 was over. Arguably, we had assembled the best list in St.Kilda's history, only to be denied by rotten luck, bad bounces, injuries, etc. Another series of missed opportunities. So cyclical. The good times never last long at Moorabbin. I had heard similar things from supporters then that I'm hearing now. Poor, incompetent administration, hired the wrong coach (RTB), playing list devastated by injury, aging champs had retired or were in their twilight. Some of the younger ones hadn't come on etc. While I acknowledge this situation is different, it is interesting the responses from outsiders, the media included, is entirely predictable and consistent where failure is concerned. It's almost comforting bizarrely because even "experts" in the media are usually wrong about teams on the rise. They just sprout their groupthink and hackneyed cliches and pick up the cheque. Most of us on here have been saints' supporters for many years. I chalked up my 50th year this year and more than 25 years as a member. Many of you have been at it longer. We've seen it all. And then some.

So, onto the reasons, I feel cheerful (apart from alcohol and medication). Firstly, our administration appears more stable and competent than it has since the early '70s. Bassat looks the goods, so far, and the Board appears united. While I have been critical of Finnis for his focus on social issues rather than football matters, overall, he is a big improvement on his predecessors, Archie Bargie and Nettlefool. I had direct dealings with both and came away thinking about how the Board could've got these appointments so wrong. Up there with Plympton giving Timid the coaching job on a whim. I now we should compare ourselves with the best, not the worst, but Finnis has some decent achievements in his CV. The return to Moorabbin being the most critical in terms of our long term future. The best chief since Waldo, who despite some very human failings, was a very sharp operator. Throw in the potential of expansion into China and the sponsorship opportunities already generated, the entry of a women's team (a huge untapped market) and the campaign to capture the Bayside and we're looking good. Now just get cracking on reducing that debt, Matt! Hold.

The acquisition of Satan Lethlean has been a masterstroke. A gem, straight from the bargain bin, where he'd been dumped for non-football related issues. He has conducted a thorough overhaul of all aspects of football operations, with just a bit of further tweaking to come. He should have all in place by the start of next season. In any event, we have a logical and proven successor for the CEO job if Finnis vacates. Satan was always destined to be a CEO in clubland at least. While the top job at the Death Star is probably out of reach because of past indiscretions, I doubt we'd have found better in the open market.

His appointments have strengthened us in critical areas. Gubby Allan will prove his value in the trade period. His IP and network will be priceless, this year and next, when GWS will have to have a major salary cap dump. The elite midfielder we need? "Gags" Gallagher is the interesting one. It is hard to measure his worth from the outside, but it appears we now have lots of cap space and have planned to have plenty left for next year as well. Needless to say, the next two drafts/trade periods will determine our future and we'll have to wait to judge him on those outcomes. To take advantage, we have to create the conditions for success. This year will indicate how attractive we will be to FAs in the future. Money appears to be no problem. What is undeniable is that he has relevant experience in football and business and has been successful in his other pursuits. A big upgrade on his predecessor. Hold.

That brings me to recruiting. The "work experience kid" I first met in Libba, was impressive then and I can only conclude he's improved in the eight years since then. Our drafting and trading of players has been good since he took over the reins three years ago. The fruits of the last the drafts are showing signs of bearing results. Add Gresh from 2015 and we have a core that includes Battle, Clark, Coffield, Winx, Bytel, Wilkie, Marshall, Steele and Hind, all of whom can become A graders. Added to Billings, Membrey, Bruce (do not trade!), Hanners, Paton, Webster and hopefully the return of Robbo and we are a few acquisitions away from being a genuine threat again. If Stuv stays and regains his fitness and health, we could look formidable.

Speaking of which, I've never been as optimistic about a trade period as this one. While some of the major targets have already been taken off the table, we are right in the race for the best of the rest. Hill sounds a certainty. Tomlinson, despite what some on here think, will improve the list. His acquisition helps cultivate the notion of a destination club and he might even help to get us one of his elite mates from GWS in the future.

Bing is the big one. Get him. It's about more than just on-field worth. He will be an A grader, just like his brother, given a decent run of luck with injuries, of that I'm certain. The acquisition will create a buzz around the club not seen since we got Roo and Kosi in 2000. I've never seen Bevo as excited as he was at the time, and it takes a bit to fire him up. He said we would build multiple premiership teams around them. At the time, having seen them both play before the draft, I had to agree. Again, we came agonizingly close. These two will be the faces of the club for a decade, get young kids onboard the way Roo did and ensure our marketing department will have plenty to work with. Let's do a Hawthorn. Whatever it takes. Jones, Ryder, Ah Chee, Martin, and even Harley Bennell would be Moneyball type bargains. Fill needs and could turn into masterstrokes.

Then there is the question of the coach. I have it on very good authority Ratts is over the line. For the first time since Tony Jewell, we have an experienced and proven senior coach. His impact on the club has undeniable. The players support him, so important in any transition. Our first two performances under him showed what potential this list has. We even spanked everyone's current darling, the WBs. His passion, enthusiasm, IP and ability to communicate are outstanding. Compare and contrast his last presser with Richo's efforts. After all the goodwill and positivity, he got down to the brutal truths about what we needed to do to be a top side. Not just competitive. What a breath of fresh air! He spoke like the coach, not a mere candidate. Hopefully, his words will be translated into a massive, and long-overdue improvement in player development.

I wrote earlier this year about Ratten's appointment being the "Clayton's Sacking" of Richo. A superb example of Satan's power and ability to manipulate a terrible situation into a plus. Lumbered with a lame-duck coach for two years, he brought in an obvious successor so that when the obvious became too hard to ignore, a smooth transition was assured, with minimal damage to all parties concerned. How very un-St. Kilda it all was. (If Ratts hasn't got it, I'm going to look like a right duffer, aren't I?)

We are surely due for a change in luck on the injury front. We had an average of 13 players out. Every week! By far the worst of any side in the AFL. Those who missed the season or the majority of it were Roberton, McCartin, Geary, Steven, Longer, Pierce, Carlisle, Webster, Winx, Bytel, with Lonie, Kent, Clavarino and Armitage having their seasons badly interrupted. It is a tribute to the team that it won nine games, given these constraints. Before people tell me injuries are no excuse, I agree, but they are a reason for less than optimal performance. Just look at Richmond without their big four. Seven & six. With three of the big four back in they haven't lost. Even without Cotchin on occasion. If Dusty went down I doubt they'd win the flag. If we can have even just an average run on the injury front, finals are right on the cards.

The galling thing about our injury count was so many of them were not preventable and were just bad luck. A heart condition, depression, concussions, knees, broken bones, backs that required surgery, etc. Good grief! We must have kicked a Chinaman, walked under a ladder near a black cat while smashing a mirror! No blame for our sport science and physical conditioning crews, which are widely acknowledged as amongst the best in the industry.

Finally, back to us, the members and supporters. It's a miracle of sorts that we recorded our second-largest membership tally this year coming off the disaster of 2018. Admittedly, another year like that would do significant damage, but the foundation membership is around 38-40K with the "swinging voters" and newbies the ones we need to target. Old fools like me will always sign up. Plenty of you are like me. As a parent for a child that keeps stuffing up, I will continue to forgive. To me, it feels like 2002 felt internally. Not quite there yet, but worth waiting for next year. For once I can see the club pouring fertilizer on the green shoots, not weed killer. Let's face it. We're all in. May as well see it through.

Go Saints!!
******* brilliant post Drake. About the only thing I can add is that after decades of supporting the saints, my gut feel is this is the beginning of a new successful era. It’s the most exciting time to be a sainter I reckon. Getting on board early and seeing players and the team develop is really rewarding when you see that team start to challenge.

To me, it feels like 2002 felt internally. Not quite there yet, but worth waiting for next year. For once I can see the club pouring fertilizer on the green shoots, not weed killer. Let's face it. We're all in. May as well see it through.

A truly great post there Drake………..an absolutely fantastic read...….reckon you've pretty well nailed everything.

With the media announcing we have a heap of players in sight.....that angle reminds me of the post 2000 season after Butters and GT stormed in and started spending/attracting players.

I'm very fired up after reading your article.........roll on 2020 I say !

Roughy appointed! Another reason to be cheerful. The off field team is starting to look better than ever. Satan, Gubby, Roughy, Bassat, Gags and Finnis. The momentum is building. Remember Yabbie.

"Clubs with shiit administrations don't win premierships, laddie!"

Roughy appointed! Another reason to be cheerful. The off field team is starting to look better than ever. Satan, Gubby, Roughy, Bassat, Gags and Finnis. The momentum is building. Remember Yabbie.

"Clubs with shiit administrations don't win premierships, laddie!"
If you could complete your ideal off-field team with the recent appointments we've made still in place, who would you add?

(Apart from head coach)

If you could complete your ideal off-field team with the recent appointments we've made still in place, who would you add?

(Apart from head coach)

Keep stealing from Hawthorn. Clarko DOC, Mitchell a senior assistant. Then Lenny Hayes (stoppages and midfield). Steven King as ruck coach. Stephen Wells as head of recruiting (Libba remains under him). Make Satan the CEO. Balmey as Footy Operations Manager/Head of Football. Andy Collins as coach of Sandringham.

King Brothers together as the faces of the club. Women's team will win multiple flags. Premiership drought broken by a flood of flags. More reasons to be cheerful!

Oh, Austinnn, I just woke up from the most wonderful dream!!😃. In it we got both Kings, Balmey, Stephen Wells and Sam Mitchell. Satan was CEO and Gil bowed down before us as we threatened St.George's record of 11 flags in a row............

Out. Sexton, Finnis (stiff but Satan is an upgrade), Scrabbledaks, Hamill, Batchelor and McGlynn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we need some elite talent not more players. I wish that someone had just come out and said it's phase 2 of the rebuild, we will suck for two more years but we will draft well and see what we can pluck out. Stayed the course and phased out the under performers while hovering around mid table and using the draft and FA to get some quality in the side. We are super young still and probably over performing for age and games played. Ripping it to the foundations is showing a lack of list management logic.
Honest question. Does it really matter what we are "told"? I used my eyes and pretty quickly worked it for myself. Why does a club have to tell their supporters where they are at? It's usually pretty bloody obvious I reckon.

I went to 13 games this year. The most for a very very long time after being heavily involved in local footy.

I loved it. Said to my wife late in the season that I feel like we are a footy club on the way back.

I actually think the club is in the best position since 2003. I'm looking forward to some pretty good times.

edit - by 2003 i mean the launching pad into a sustained period of success

The off field team is starting to look better than ever. Satan, Gubby, Roughy, Bassat, Gags and Finnis. The momentum is building. Remember Yabbie.

That's quite a support cast there.

Late in the 2017 season if you had of told me all of those names would be at the club by the end of the 2019 season....I would have laughed at you and said...."we wish"

Honest question. Does it really matter what we are "told"? I used my eyes and pretty quickly worked it for myself. Why does a club have to tell their supporters where they are at? It's usually pretty bloody obvious I reckon.

I went to 13 games this year. The most for a very very long time after being heavily involved in local footy.

I loved it. Said to my wife late in the season that I feel like we are a footy club on the way back.

I actually think the club is in the best position since 2003. I'm looking forward to some pretty good times.

It is, Parkysp. I was there with Bevo when he first laid eyes on, and gushed about Riewoldt and Kosi.

He could barely get the video into the player (showing our age) he was that over aroused. He is not a man who is easily excited, nor given to hyperbole.

Fast forward to 2002. The feeling was similar to now. Waldo was the Satan of his day and we traded in, over three years, Hamill, Gehrig, Voss, Penny, Lawrence, Black, Guerra, Powell, Callaghan, while having drafted Roo, Kosi, Ball, Dal, Goose, Joey, X and BJ. Missed on Judd and Bartel but that's life.

No wonder we were great for ten years. So Close. Fast forward to 2019. We've recently drafted Gresham, Battle, Long, Clark, Coffield, Winx, Bytel, Hind, Wilkie, Paton, Marshall and Parker.

Traded in Carlisle, Bruce, Membrey, Steele, Hannabery, and Brown. Now, just say we add Hill, Bing, Jones, Constable, Tomlinson and Ryder. Challengers? Definitely. Premiers, probably sometime in 2020-3. Can you see the parallels with our second most successful period? Top coach (surely Ratts) and an admin., that for once looks competent, versatile and stable.

Reasons to be cheerful, indeed. You know it makes sense. If Bevo and I end up having cardiac infarctions because of elevated levels of excitement, I would ask that we be buried side by side. Cheers.
Drake Huggins

I hated this year, a promising start then a fall off the wall. I might have to stay off this thread, I'm not very good at it.

Saw this on the fb page... If the person who wrote this posts here, then I hope you don't mind me sharing it. It perfectly sums up what many of us feel.

It was linked in to a video of our last game at Moorabbin (for context).

So when people.mock.posters for referring to the 80's, keep the following in mind:

"This perfectly sums up the spirit and passion of our supporters that has kept our club alive for 146 years. The spirit that had Moorabbin in raptures after rare wins in lean years.

This spirit and passion seems to have been replaced by anger and unending criticism. Our supporters were endlessly loyal, made of hearty stock who were there through the decades cheering on the red, white and black. Now we see large swathes of our supporters witholding their presence and financial support until the club obtains what they feel is their right to certain results.

The problem with holding the club to ransom, is that it puts it under enormous financial pressure. Financial duress then permeates every single decision the club makes.

We all want success, we are all disappointed when we miss finals again. But the club can’t thrive and challenge the AFL on fixturing if our supporters don’t turn up.

The AGM this year is a good opportunity to make sure club officials are accountable. Ask the hard questions, demand a clear and transparent plan with measurable outcomes. Be engaged and informed.

Ultimately, those who withdraw support are hurting yourselves because you weaken the club that you love. Demand outcomes, but do it within, not from the outside."

Amen!

Saw this on the fb page... If the person who wrote this posts here, then I hope you don't mind me sharing it. It perfectly sums up what many of us feel.

So when people.mock.posters for referring to the 80's, keep the following in mind:

"This perfectly sums up the spirit and passion of our supporters that has kept our club alive for 146 years. The spirit that had Moorabbin in raptures after rare wins in lean years.

This spirit and passion seems to have been replaced by anger and unending criticism. Our supporters were endlessly loyal, made of hearty stock who were there through the decades cheering on the red, white and black. Now we see large swathes of our supporters witholding their presence and financial support until the club obtains what they feel is their right to certain results.

The problem with holding the club to ransom, is that it puts it under enormous financial pressure. Financial duress then permeates every single decision the club makes.

We all want success, we are all disappointed when we miss finals again. But the club can’t thrive and challenge the AFL on fixturing if our supporters don’t turn up.

The AGM this year is a good opportunity to make sure club officials are accountable. Ask the hard questions, demand a clear and transparent plan with measurable outcomes. Be engaged and informed.

Ultimately, those who withdraw support are hurting yourselves because you weaken the club that you love. Demand outcomes, but do it within, not from the outside."

Amen!

Welcome back big fella. The people I know who are leaving their memberships behind aren't people like us, they are people who have lost the passion. I think as Mikka said, once success comes back so do the fans. The club has let it's self down in it's decision making and is suffering the consequence. Footy forum nutters aren't the people who don't show up. It's the general public that see it as an entertainment that lose interest and hope. A couple of people I know were kids in the 80s and they have lost interest and not renewing.

My son has lost interest in us by I saw his mate yesterday who's whole family is Collingwood, the poor kid has stuck with us after my son converted him a few years ago, there's hope.

I used to go to AGMs when I was younger but other than the club saying why everything is great and a few angry people who get stared down, they are pretty pointless as far as a voice to the club goes. You are better to write letters.

I got shouted down on here along with St Cicatriz for saying we needed to do things better as far as drafting and keeping an eye on the footy department and now after we are rebuilding Trout's list we are still getting shouted down as negative idiots. I'm the first to get excited by the greenest shoot, if the club start to get it right more than wrong the negativity will evaporate.

Welcome back big fella. The people I know who are leaving their memberships behind aren't people like us, they are people who have lost the passion. I think as Mikka said, once success comes back so do the fans. The club has let it's self down in it's decision making and is suffering the consequence. Footy forum nutters aren't the people who don't show up. It's the general public that see it as an entertainment that lose interest and hope. A couple of people I know were kids in the 80s and they have lost interest and not renewing.

My son has lost interest in us by I saw his mate yesterday who's whole family is Collingwood, the poor kid has stuck with us after my son converted him a few years ago, there's hope.

I used to go to AGMs when I was younger but other than the club saying why everything is great and a few angry people who get stared down, they are pretty pointless as far as a voice to the club goes. You are better to write letters.

I got shouted down on here along with St Cicatriz for saying we needed to do things better as far as drafting and keeping an eye on the footy department and now after we are rebuilding Trout's list we are still getting shouted down as negative idiots. I'm the first to get excited by the greenest shoot, if the club start to get it right more than wrong the negativity will evaporate.
To each their own. I have no issue with that.

From a personal perspective, the post summed up how I feel about things and supporting the club.

Punishing the club gets us nowhere. If people are that fickle, they should consider another team or sport IMO.

It's just one of those things. Some people say I'll believe it when I see it... I prefer believe it and you'll see it.

Amen!

Welcome back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back