The Law Gay Couples Vs Christian bakers

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If someone
The danger is that the pro and anti poles of discrimination COULD clash and become a law and order problem somewhere down the track. At least with the State promoting equality through legislation the hardline discriminators might be marginalised. Some discriminate motivated by actual hate, remember that.
what should a business reasonably be expected to do in the future according to the law. will it be illegal to refuse to bake cakes which say women have penises or celebrating polygamy?

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If someone

what should a business reasonably be expected to do in the future according to the law. will it be illegal to refuse to bake cakes which say women have penises or celebrating polygamy?

I reckon I've been holding to the line that, if a business such as Ashers Bakeries don't approve of the message, they can still sell the cake with its non-specific decorative elements (Bert and Ernie without any message at all) and simply provide the tools so that the customer can do the rest as they see fit.

Ashers hasn't contravened their beliefs.

Customer is happy.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon I've been holding to the line that, if a business such as Ashers Bakeries don't approve of the message, they can still sell the cake with its non-specific decorative elements (Bert and Ernie without any message at all) and simply provide the tools so that the customer can do the rest as they see fit.

Ashers hasn't contravened their beliefs.

Customer is happy.
You’re attempting to solve a problem that does not want to be solved.

It’s similar to the argument that banning sexually active gay men from donating blood for a year after their last activity is homophobic and discriminatory. It has nothing to do with what is the best outcome for all parties, but entirely about people demanding full self-actualisation, and having the state provide that for them in full.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s similar to the argument that banning sexually active gay men from donating blood for a year after their last activity is homophobic and discriminatory. It has nothing to do with what is the best outcome for all parties, but entirely about people demanding full self-actualisation, and having the state provide that for them in full.

See, to me that was more about sexual behaviours rather than sexual orientation itself. Although to be fair there are any number of promiscuous heterosexuals shagging each other at any one time without protection too, and I highly doubt these had their sexual histories questioned. A blanket ban seemed safer in the end than assessing risks case-by-case.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
See, to me that was more about sexual behaviours rather than sexual orientation itself. Although to be fair there are any number of promiscuous heterosexuals shagging each other at any one time without protection too, and I highly doubt these had their sexual histories questioned. A blanket ban seemed safer in the end than assessing risks case-by-case.
Heterosexual sex is much lower risk for infectious disease than male homosexual sex by a factor of well over 100.

You can screen blood these days, it's just a hangover from when HIV+ blood did enter the supply and some people got infected via transfusions. Ironically it was straight people getting AIDS via this form of infection that pricked mainstream interest in AIDS up and forced Reagan's hand to a certain extent, he didn't want to know about it before than.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You can screen blood these days, it's just a hangover from when HIV+ blood did enter the supply and some people got infected via transfusions. Ironically it was straight people getting AIDS via this form of infection that pricked mainstream interest in AIDS up and forced Reagan's hand to a certain extent, he didn't want to know about it before than.

Yeah, the HIV/AIDS scare definitely had a hold over so many people, especially when it 'crossed lines' like that. I don't know enough about man-on-man sex to know how much riskier it is (is unprotected anal sex any riskier with a man than it is with a female partner?) I realise gay men are reputed to be more promiscious due to our sex drives being that much more active and so the risk factor shows as high as it seems to.

'Always wear a sock on your pickle' is good advice if you own a penis, no matter your orientation. That's what I've found.

Yeah, the HIV/AIDS scare definitely had a hold over so many people, especially when it 'crossed lines' like that. I don't know enough about man-on-man sex to know how much riskier it is (is unprotected anal sex any riskier with a man than it is with a female partner?) I realise gay men are reputed to be more promiscious due to our sex drives being that much more active and so the risk factor shows as high as it seems to.

'Always wear a sock on your pickle' is good advice if you own a penis, no matter your orientation. That's what I've found.
Young people see Aids as grandad's disease. Just because it won't kill you doesn't make it any more fun.
Wear your wellies.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So why did the safe sex campaigns target heteros and homosexuals as though there was the same level as risk?
A number of venereal diseases can render women infertile, and potentially cause cancer. While HIV and Hep C are rare in heterosexuals, chlamydia and gonorrhoea aren’t.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
A number of venereal diseases can render women infertile, and potentially cause cancer. While HIV and Hep C are rare in heterosexuals, chlamydia and gonorrhoea aren’t.

True but chlamydia and gonorrhoea were not new diseases. The safe sex campaigns were launched because of the spread of AIDS.

Back