Unofficial Preview Changes? & discussion, Semi-Final v Giants, Saturday September 14th, 7.25pm @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm not necessarily agreeing but I see Fages only making forced changes due to injury.

Out- Mitch Robinson(hamstring).

In- Rhys Matheison.

I think he'll but Berry on the wing and Matho in the guts and floating forward.

No need to be too downhearted about last night, IMO we are a massive chance to defeat the Giants, we beat them convincingly not that long ago on their home deck.

I think I’d go Keays for Robbo with Bailey and Keays switching between wing and half forward and Clug and Berry switching between wing and inside mid.

My biggest worry is de Boer tagging Zorko. He was a big reason we were on top in the first half last night.

I think our biggest concern for next game is how to mentally get them up again. Had our chances last night particularly early on to tie up a home prelim and complete STB in front of goal.

The coaching staffs biggest concern is getting them to forget that and have them going again in a weeks time.

Giants by a lot next week, we just can’t perform on the big stage.

As for changes I’d go Cutler in for Robinson (as close to a like for like replacement as you’d get), Walker for Adams and Keays for McCarthy (who again went missing for most the game or stuffed up more than normal).

I would go Cedric Cox or Ben Keays for Robinson. Cedric brings that X factor that he can do something special with a great kick. Keays more a grinding hard working player who will run all night.

Hipwood should start at full forward. Im not convinced he is 100% fit so just start him deep forward - if we bomb it long Davis will pick off intercept marks like Grimes did. Need Hippy to lead and drag a defender like Davis 30/40m away from goal.

Think we need to play Bailey more down back. Need some run out of defence and Witherden was horrible last night.

As for changes I’d go Cutler in for Robinson (as close to a like for like replacement as you’d get), Walker for Adams and Keays for McCarthy (who again went missing for most the game or stuffed up more than normal).

I agree in theory and have advocated the same message about big games, but we can and have performed in big games at times too. The Tigers are a pretty difficult opponent and The Giants are very flawed ATM, at home we should be confident we can beat them.

My concern is we carry the yips into next week.

I wouldn't evacuate the all confidence in our Boys based on last night.

McCarthy is playing really poorly ATM. His mistakes kill us.

No changes. Who ever in for Mitch.

The panic over our young forward line is unwarranted, Richmond (who are about 6 years ahead in their devalopment) just systematically shut us down and beat us in that area. The fact we go long to Cameron in an out number over and over is half the issue.

Let's take a deep breath and see how we go this week, our forward line was looking dangerous for the last 6-8 weeks of the season.

No changes. Who ever in for Mitch.

The panic over our young forward line is unwarranted, Richmond (who are about 6 years ahead in their devalopment) just systematically shut us down and beat us in that area. The fact we go long to Cameron in an out number over and over is half the issue.

Let's take a deep breath and see how we go this week, our forward line was looking dangerous for the last 6-8 weeks of the season.
We should have used Cameron as a decoy more often.

I'm not brimming with confidence because they've got some players back and are finding form at the right time whereas we could be mentally scarred from our woeful kicking performance , plus despite the stats sheets we've definitely got players in there who have dropped form .

Couldn't possibly drop McCarthy ,he's at least one who tries to provide tackling pressure in the forward line . I was really bemused by Harris' AA selection , he just hasn't been himself for a few weeks , surely not right . Same with Hipwood,he looked completely lost last night.

I'll leave it to the coaches for selection. We have one warranted change which is crucial because Robinson was the guy who can help when they put the inevitable physical pressure on Neale/Zorko. We need more physical pressure from our KPP's who were basically missing last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lincoln McCarthy had 16 disposals, took 6 marks and applied 5 tackles.
Cam Rayner, for a comparison had 15 disposals, took 5 marks and applied 3 tackles. Neither were flawless, but both tried their guts out and both will be in the team next week.

I am more concerned by the fact that Gardiner, Witherden and Adams had a combined 3 tackles between them.

Adams had a paltry 7 disposals, took 2 marks and applied a single tackle for the game.

McCarthy, Rayner, Christensen, Lyons, Berry and Rich were all off their very best, buy they tried their guts out.

I have said it elsewhere, but Fagan needs to get some experience, maturity and FORM into the team. Replacements should only come from last night’s Emergencies, so would go:

Out: Robinson (inj) McStay and Adams
In: Keays, Walker and Lester

I also think Fagan needs to put a rocket up Gardiner, Witherden and Hipwood.

Back Thursday night.

Lincoln McCarthy had 16 disposals, took 6 marks and applied 5 tackles.
Cam Rayner, for a comparison had 15 disposals, took 5 marks and applied 3 tackles. Neither were flawless, but both tried their guts out and both will be in the team next week.

I am more concerned by the fact that Gardiner, Witherden and Adams had a combined 3 tackles between them.

Adams had a paltry 7 disposals, took 2 marks and applied a single tackle for the game.

McCarthy, Rayner, Christensen, Lyons, Berry and Rich were all off their very best, buy they tried their guts out.

I have said it elsewhere, but Fagan needs to get some experience, maturity and FORM into the team. Replacements should only come from last night’s Emergencies, so would go:

Out: Robinson (inj) McStay and Adams
In: Keays, Walker and Lester

I also think Fagan needs to put a rocket up Gardiner, Witherden and Hipwood.

Back Thursday night.

I honestly don't think bringing NEAFL players into a high pressure situation will end well. They've literally been cruising all year.

All we can hope for is a contest today to somewhat simulate it, but the gap between NEAFL footy and regular AFL is already huge. Add in finals pressure and I don't think 3 changes is a wise choice.

I don't actually think we need to make changes, but if I did, I'd be blaming the fact that we've selected ourselves into a hole with past selections and still not making changes now.

I honestly don't think bringing NEAFL players into a high pressure situation will end well. They've literally been cruising all year.

All we can hope for is a contest today to somewhat simulate it, but the gap between NEAFL footy and regular AFL is already huge. Add in finals pressure and I don't think 3 changes is a wise choice.

I don't actually think we need to make changes, but if I did, I'd be blaming the fact that we've selected ourselves into a hole with past selections and still not making changes now.
Hey BRAB, I would agree if I were taking about untried players, but Lester and Walker are experienced senior footballers and Keays has had Senior experience this year and been knocking on the door almost every week.

By the way, my seven year old Quinlan KZ is Football is available to run goal kicking drills with our key forwards.
E0F085BA-A672-415B-871A-2C3A658CC6D7.jpeg A11B3865-9C44-438C-A491-AF49F283D08F.jpeg

Pushed it a little to the right but drilled it. McStay needs to be able to regularly do this.

Hey BRAB, I would agree if I were taking about untried players, but Lester and Walker are experienced senior footballers and Keays has had Senior experience this year and been knocking on the door almost every week.

By the way, my seven year old Quinlan KZ is Football is available to run goal kicking drills with our key forwards.
View attachment 742542View attachment 742545

I feel like you're baiting me with those photos and I want you to know it worked

In his press conference, Fages pretty much rubbished any suggestion of changing the side.

I don't think we'll see anything other than Robbo if he doesn't get up for the next one.

Considering we finished second and scored the most points of any side (and as we know, we missed a lot of shots all year), I don't see a reason to suddenly change anything after so many rounds of consistency.

Charlie Cameron to start on the wing but named forward as usual.
Fagan and the selection team need to change things up a bit but not so much as to change the game plan that has got them this far.
Charlie arguably played his best game ever against Geelong in the 2017 preliminary final that sent Adelaide into the Grand Final that year.
I remember that game he was electric with his run and carry from the wing with stints forward.
Checking his stats that day he had 19 disposals and kicked 5 goals 1 behind.
Not sure who replaces Mitch. A senior spot up for grabs today to someone who performs well in the NEAFL final.

I would bring Lester in for Robbo and move Witherden to the wing and Lester to defence. IMO Witherden has great skills but will never be a real defender. He could also provide more efficient entries inside 50 than most of our other midfield types. One thing we are certainly lacking is speed out of our back half but playing Bailey back there would be very risky in a final,given his lack of experience. We desperately need to find a rebound defender in the trade period .

Just remember, had we kicked straight and not being stitched up by some controversial umpiring decisions in the opening 15 minutes that game is a lot closer.

We don’t need drastic changes, we play like we did last night with our kicking boots on and we win next week. Simples.

Agreed - this is where there should have been some sort of rotation of like for like and underperfomring players to a degree - eg Lester, Cutler, Mathieson Walker (who is really stiff tbh) with the likes of McStay, Witherden, Rayner to make sure they all had a feel for the pace of the game at senior level - our luck with injuries wasn't going to last forever and the long season would be taking their toll on the players now. If we'd had more of rotation, then the whole group may have been fresher as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back