Crows Culture - good/bad/on par?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Culture is the same at all work places. There's hierarchy, there's favouritism, there's judgment, there's cliques and sometimes you get a mass exodus of unhappy workers. There's loyalty, but sometimes it makes it harder to rid of those who are just bad at their jobs. You have your friends at work and those you just don't get along with, but you still do your job and you try to be professional about it. Can't say there's many places where everyone is happy and get along with each other at work.
Yeah except a football club should be a lot happier place than the average work place surely.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Following on from these comments about the young players not feeling part of it, I used to be the biggest loud mouth yelling stuff at Gunston when we played the Hawks, then one day after yet another one left us I just thought why should I have a go at Gunston, some of these blokes clearly believe they have no compelling reason to stay at the club. It must by a club thing rather than a player thing....we're clearly not like Sydney in that regard.

As for Charlie not having confidence from his 'line coaches', his line coach was Teague and that would contradict everything else I've heard about him. I would however like to know how CC went from playing four good games a season for us, to playing only four 'non-good' games a season for the Lions!
Didn’t think he could play his best footy?
Or felt he wasn’t best 22?
We turned him from a rookie pick to kicking 5 goals in a prelim.
I remember him getting games when he shouldn’t have.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn’t think he could play his best footy?
Or felt he wasn’t best 22?
We turned him from a rookie pick to kicking 5 goals in a prelim.
I remember him getting games when he shouldn’t have.

So, what are you saying?

Crowhorse

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
As long as Roo is employing mates and contracting other mates to review them, then it would be fair to say the culture is stuffed.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m saying he’s making up excuses.
Also I think the media are twisting his words a little. Him saying not happy to stay didn’t just mean all about the Crows, but could be for family reasons, which were reported several times in the past by the media.

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Always thought that the supporters were part of the culture of a football club. Some clubs seem more inclusive than others. But some are more interested in their supporters financial support rather than contributing to the running of the club. That privilege seems to be exclusive to a chosen few. I think we are this version. Which is fine when we have the right people but a real problem if we don’t.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Always thought that the supporters were part of the culture of a football club. Some clubs seem more inclusive than others. But some are more interested in their supporters financial support rather than contributing to the running of the club. That privilege seems to be exclusive to a chosen few. I think we are this version. Which is fine when we have the right people but a real problem if we don’t.
Who appoints the correct people ?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stepover

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting thing I’ve heard from people coming into the club (and Crows supporters at that) to do jobs is that the players and staff don’t say hello or shoot the breeze while, when they’re doing the same job at Port, they get chatted to.

It’s only a little thing but it helps add to a feeling of belonging and openness.

They also say that this doesn’t happen with the women’s team; indeed the feeling that one’s a club and a game and one where it’s a job.

It certainly doesn’t mean that the players aren’t invested but perhaps an indication of this is Jacobs not playing SANFL finals while he’s available to do so.

Personally, I think that the sheer fact that there is no social club where players interact with supporters as such adds to this feeling.

I can verify this. I dealt with both clubs for many years in a business sense, and always felt the vibe at Port was more open and welcoming as an outsider.
Due to the set-up at Alberton there is an undeniable feeling of Club.
Thankfully they have been so obsessed and content at just finishing above the Crows that they have been mostly ordinary.

Yes Port is still just a part of what is the corporate AFL but the Crows need to try and somehow encourage a closer connection to its supporters.
Maybe the new base in Nth Adelaide may achieve that but I understand it doesn’t include a social facility which is a pity.
Sadly I do believe that there is modicum of truth that the AFC sees itself as the haves and the mob down the road as the have nots.
I think it is about time that the Club rolls it’s sleeves up and gets its hands dirty.

Interestingly the Clubs most successful period was when Blight brought a more common man approach and then more recently the club had was flying in 2017 when it became a Club that became so close through tragedy. It became us against the world.
Unfortunately after the 2017 GF loss, instead of putting a collective consoling arm around the playing group, the club and CM made the craziest decision that a Club could ever of made..... that Camp.
How the Club and CM couldn’t have seen that the 2017 season was fueled by a team spirit built upon tragedy, and that any effort to break down and re-build each player individually was doomed for failure.

If the Club wants to live by the mantra
“The team for all South Australians” then they have to get their head out of their collective a*ses and not treat the club as their own personal play thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is this even a thread? Of course our culture is shithouse, that’s why players and coaches leave

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can verify this. I dealt with both clubs for many years in a business sense, and always felt the vibe at Port was more open and welcoming as an outsider.
Due to the set-up at Alberton there is an undeniable feeling of Club.
Thankfully they have been so obsessed and content at just finishing above the Crows that they have been mostly ordinary.

Yes Port is still just a part of what is the corporate AFL but the Crows need to try and somehow encourage a closer connection to its supporters.
Maybe the new base in Nth Adelaide may achieve that but I understand it doesn’t include a social facility which is a pity.
Sadly I do believe that there is modicum of truth that the AFC sees itself as the haves and the mob down the road as the have nots.
I think it is about time that the Club rolls it’s sleeves up and gets its hands dirty.

Interestingly the Clubs most successful period was when Blight brought a more common man approach and then more recently the club had was flying in 2017 when it became a Club that became so close through tragedy. It became us against the world.
Unfortunately after the 2017 GF loss, instead of putting a collective consoling arm around the playing group, the club and CM made the craziest decision that a Club could ever of made..... that Camp.
How the Club and CM couldn’t have seen that the 2017 season was fueled by a team spirit built upon tragedy, and that any effort to break down and re-build each player individually was doomed for failure.

If the Club wants to live by the mantra
“The team for all South Australians” then they have to get their head out of their collective a*ses and not treat the club as their own personal play thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're talking 2 separate issues though: one being how close or connected the club is to it's players/fans, and the other being a preseason activity (which can be hit or miss for any club in any preseason).

It's interesting to read on several posts regarding the club is approaching it like a business and not being as connected to its supporters than say, Port. Certainly the tragedy in recent years felt like we were united from 2015-2017 just by natural forces. Something is missing since then and that's the reason why this thread was made, for simple fans like me to understand more from other fans who have a personal experience of the inside goings of the club.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Were you being serious with this comment John?
Yes, the point being if a culture is so pathetic, why is the majority still wanting to stay?
That's not the same as me saying I think everything is going all ok, I think we need to still find the stinkers and eject the stink from stinking it further for next year and beyond.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, the point being if a culture is so pathetic, why is the majority still wanting to stay?
That's not the same as me saying I think everything is going all ok, I think we need to still find the stinkers and eject the stink from stinking it further for next year and beyond.

Because culture is very different to many people. Everyone has their own point of view on how culture is applied to them.

Some stay at the club because they have no other option. They just want to be on an AFL list. No other club will have them.

Some stay as they are actually happy with their role in the club and get along with the leaders. They have bought into that leadership style.

Some stay as they are very introverted and do not want to rock the boat.

Where some, not all leave as they are not happy with the leadership or their work environment they find themselves in.

One size doesn’t fit all. So you can not just say why doesn’t everyone just leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back