Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I really hope we dont sack him. Woosh has cleaned up an absoulute mess of a football club since he's arrived. He's gone 12-10 three years running with the one of the youngest lists in the comp coming off a drugs saga. Add to that long term injuries to key players 2 years in a row. He deserves to see out his contract.
12-10 is nothing to applaud, especially considering our percentage. Also, we definitely don't have a young list. Our salary cap is busting already. That's about as average and middle of the road as it gets. Let's look at our wins:

3. Melbourne - Alright win, but defence was way too leaky
4. Brisbane - Impressive win
5. North Melbourne - Another impressive win
9. Fremantle - Uninspiring win.
11. Carlton - Bolton in his last game. I guess it was alright, but they only had one win under Bolton.
13. Hawthorn - Decent win. Should've been by more.
15. GWS - Very lucky to win this
16. Sydney - Did what we had to do, but largely unimpressive save for the last quarter
17. North - Very very lucky to win this
18. Adelaide - Good win, but we were s**t for a half. And as it turned out, Adelaide are a soft bunch.
19. Gold Coast - May as well have been a loss. Awful performance.
22. Fremantle - Decent win, but our midfield was totally smashed. No winning team ever lost the contested possession stat like we did.

Brisbane and GWS are the only top 8 sides we beat. The only really impressive wins were Brisbane, North in round 5 and Adelaide IMO.

Our losses:

1. GWS - Disgraceful
2. St Kilda - Disgraceful
6. Collingwood - Should have won this. Umps
7. Geelong - Beaten comfortably by a good side. Nothing to be ashamed about.
8. Sydney - Disgraceful. Though we were robbed, we shouldn't have allowed for it to get to that point
10. Richmond - Usual capitulation against a decimated Richmond side in the rain. Cleaned up the margin in the end.
14. West Coast - Destruction. Could have been 100 points.
20. Port - Disgraceful.
21. Bulldogs - Complete horror show. The worst loss I've ever witnessed.
23. Collingwood - Umps gifted Collingwood another one here. Rested a bunch of players so we were always up against it

If this is considered a good year, then it confirms how far we've fallen away as a football club. Our record is actually worse than last year despite making finals.

When our undersized midfielders can't kick and our ruckman can't compete around the ground, then Smith and Daniher won't make much difference.
Anyway, he should be gone only because he allowed us to start the way we did last year. That's enough reason.

afairgo

Debutant
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Great summary of another disappointing season. The start should send shivers up any supporters spine. One more is the complete lack of a senses of pain or standards if we loose. Sadly (for Heppell as he always gives 100%) was the smiling Myers and Heppell photo of the swans game and no signs of any personal anger or standard setting from the coach after a loss with 21 consecutive goals. Clarkson would be positively dangerous to talk to if he’d seen that happen on his watch.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
12-10 is nothing to applaud, especially considering our percentage. Also, we definitely don't have a young list. Our salary cap is busting already. That's about as average and middle of the road as it gets. Let's look at our wins:

3. Melbourne - Alright win, but defence was way too leaky
4. Brisbane - Impressive win
5. North Melbourne - Another impressive win
9. Fremantle - Uninspiring win.
11. Carlton - Bolton in his last game. I guess it was alright, but they only had one win under Bolton.
13. Hawthorn - Decent win. Should've been by more.
15. GWS - Very lucky to win this
16. Sydney - Did what we had to do, but largely unimpressive save for the last quarter
17. North - Very very lucky to win this
18. Adelaide - Good win, but we were s**t for a half. And as it turned out, Adelaide are a soft bunch.
19. Gold Coast - May as well have been a loss. Awful performance.
22. Fremantle - Decent win, but our midfield was totally smashed. No winning team ever lost the contested possession stat like we did.

Brisbane and GWS are the only top 8 sides we beat. The only really impressive wins were Brisbane, North in round 5 and Adelaide IMO.

Our losses:

1. GWS - Disgraceful
2. St Kilda - Disgraceful
6. Collingwood - Should have won this. Umps
7. Geelong - Beaten comfortably by a good side. Nothing to be ashamed about.
8. Sydney - Disgraceful. Though we were robbed, we shouldn't have allowed for it to get to that point
10. Richmond - Usual capitulation against a decimated Richmond side in the rain. Cleaned up the margin in the end.
14. West Coast - Destruction. Could have been 100 points.
20. Port - Disgraceful.
21. Bulldogs - Complete horror show. The worst loss I've ever witnessed.
23. Collingwood - Umps gifted Collingwood another one here. Rested a bunch of players so we were always up against it

If this is considered a good year, then it confirms how far we've fallen away as a football club. Our record is actually worse than last year despite making finals.

When our undersized midfielders can't kick and our ruckman can't compete around the ground, then Smith and Daniher won't make much difference.
Anyway, he should be gone only because he allowed us to start the way we did last year. That's enough reason.
When you see the loses lined up like that it just reminds us how far we are off the pace. We should be having max 1-2 horror performances a year. We had 7 this year plus a pretty poor final

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
When you see the loses lined up like that it just reminds us how far we are off the pace. We should be having max 1-2 horror performances a year. We had 7 this year plus a pretty poor final
We need a systems based coach to mitigate as many horror performances we had.

Thank goodness I missed the Bulldogs game is all I can say... and given the result I didn’t even watch a replay either.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We need a systems based coach to mitigate as many horror performances we had.

Thank goodness I missed the Bulldogs game is all I can say... and given the result I didn’t even watch a replay either.
I stayed to the end that day. It was pretty piss poor tbh. I think the club assumes we forget about nights like that when we make finals. I haven’t

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think we will sack him, but it may be the case that he wants to return home to be closer to his family and there is a vacancy at Freo.

Beyond the hope of some supporters there’s absolutely no evidence to show that he wants to return to Perth and no evidence Fremantle want him.

Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City San Antonio Spurs
Anyone know what line Caracella works with at Richmond?
No idea what they do with Woosh, but think they should turn over more assistants and flip Skipworth and Harvs.

Wonder if BJ has any interest in coaching after a year in the media...

Solomon?

Anyone know what line Caracella works with at Richmond?
No idea what they do with Woosh, but think they should turn over more assistants and flip Skipworth and Harvs.

Wonder if BJ has any interest in coaching after a year in the media...

Solomon?
Solly, no thanks. Has been in charge of GC's defence for the entirety of the clubs existence which you could drive a semi through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

topheavy

Debutant
Jun 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
For mine the things that drive me mental with John Worsfold are the following;
- I don’t know how invested he is with the club. He is a robot who shows little emotion. Clapping tippas goal late in the last quarter (our second for the game against WB) shows an acceptance of mediocrity this club has become reknown for in the last 15 years
- many times in his pressers he cites the supplement saga. This was 5 years ago and it’s time to move on. Stop the excuses, time for results.
- he talks about players ‘learning’ all the time. It’s rinse and repeat. The players were learning 3 years ago if you go back to his pressers then. What the f#^k have they learnt over this time? Where is this finals brand of footy?

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
May, Thompson, KK, Harbrow, Saad? Far from untalented

I think May at Melbourne has displayed exactly what he's had at his disposal and he was their captain?

Also factor injuries and like us doesn't matter how good hooker, Hurley, saad and co are if the midfield is not up to it, the ball comes in at a rapid rate.

Solomon wouldn't still be there if internally they thought he was the issue.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
For mine the things that drive me mental with John Worsfold are the following;
- I don’t know how invested he is with the club. He is a robot who shows little emotion. Clapping tippas goal late in the last quarter (our second for the game against WB) shows an acceptance of mediocrity this club has become reknown for in the last 15 years
- many times in his pressers he cites the supplement saga. This was 5 years ago and it’s time to move on. Stop the excuses, time for results.
- he talks about players ‘learning’ all the time. It’s rinse and repeat. The players were learning 3 years ago if you go back to his pressers then. What the f#^k have they learnt over this time? Where is this finals brand of footy?

Your right, let's just see what transpires in next few weeks, the club apart from Madden haven't really come out and confirmed if the stories are nonsense or not. Like the fitness coach I think there waiting for a few things to pan out. Maybe there waiting for tigers campaign to finish, maybe Caracella has the job?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
12-10 is nothing to applaud, especially considering our percentage. Also, we definitely don't have a young list. Our salary cap is busting already. That's about as average and middle of the road as it gets

I dont think our season was a success or should be applauded. My thoughts are from where we were after our drug saga and where we have been since 2001, Woosh has improved us. You mentioned falling away as a club which i agree with. We haven't been in the top 4 since 2001. Its embarrassing. But Woosh has picked us up from the very bottom to get us to this regular mediocre position of 8th with a list that is young and inexperienced. We have specifically recruited players in their mid twenties with around 100 games experience because there was a huge hole in our list in that area. If you think the list isnt young due to ave age i think we'll see a true reflection of that after delistings this year. It has absolutely been a rebuild on the fly since he arrived. It would've been a nightmare job to try and fix what was left for him. He deserves to see out his contract and help transition to Rutten next year.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi Bombers,

Thought I'd post this given there is a paywall. Interesting read:

John Worsfold an ‘outsider’ at Bombers and may be a sitting duck, writes Mick Malthouse
John Worsfold isn’t a golden boy at the Bombers like James Hird. And after a finals exit, Mick Malthouse writes the pressure is mounting on the Essendon coach. But should it be?
Mick Malthouse, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
September 8, 2019 9:00am

similars

What is it with John Worsfold being public enemy No.1?
He was deemed a club saviour when he was appointed Essendon coach after the club’s supplements scandal, but that quickly wore off when the banned players returned and things went back to “normal”.
In the past season or two it seems that when the Bombers won the team was brilliant, and when they lost it was the coach’s fault. This appears to be driven by Essendon supporters and further fuelled by social media and the press.

John Worsfold is often blamed for a Bombers loss. Pic: Getty Images
Worsfold is a West Australian through and through. He was the golden boy of WA football when he starred for South Fremantle in the WAFL and his popularity increased when he was appointed West Coast captain in 1991 at age 22.
He is a two-time premiership skipper and West Coast premiership coach. He also represented WA in State-of-Origin five times.
As captain he was totally driven and his teammates followed without hesitation. He found conflict difficult and often relied on his vice-captain to be the disciplinarian. He was as mentally tough as he was physically courageous on field. He was stoic and fiercely loyal.
In the Perth community he was the gentle, shy and softly-spoken pharmacist, from a strong football family. Clark Kent and Superman.
But the Essendon faithful don’t care about any of that.

Not in the way they cared about dual Bombers premiership player, five-times club best and fairest and Brownlow medallist James Hird. Nor how they cared for club legend, three-time premiership player and former captain, Mark Thompson. And not how they cared for Kevin Sheedy, eventually, after he won them four premierships in 26 years as coach.
Worsfold isn’t a fan favourite like James Hird and Kevin Sheedy were during their Essendon rein.

Worsfold isn’t a fan favourite like James Hird and Kevin Sheedy were during their Essendon rein.
To Essendon fans, Worsfold is almost an impostor. He isn’t a club great. He hasn’t bled for the red and black. He isn’t even from Victoria. That makes him an outsider.
And when you’re an outsider in charge of a football club, you are always in the crosshairs.
Worsfold is Bambi in Perth. At Essendon, he’s a sitting duck.
Once upon a time when the VFL was created from suburban teams and zones, coaches generally came from within the ranks and many even played as captain-coach. It was a natural progression for a good on-field leader to become a club’s coach.
Over time many men had great success coaching at the club they played for:
— Jock McHale (Collingwood), great player, extraordinary coach.
— John Coleman (Essendon), exceptional full-forward, remarkable coach.
— John Kennedy (Hawthorn), club captain and four-time best and fairest, first premiership coach.
— Allan Jeans (St Kilda), ordinary player, extraordinary coach. St Kilda’s only premiership coach.
— Tom Hafey (Richmond), tough player, coached through the golden era at Richmond.
— John Nicholls (Carlton), brilliant player, Carlton premiership captain/coach.
— Alex Jesaulenko (Carlton), premiership player, premiership captain/coach.
Worsfold captained the Eagles to two premierships.

Heritage has always mattered in football.
But as times change and the league changes with it, the introduction of new teams has altered history. Perhaps where you come from isn’t as important.
Do football fans associate Leigh Matthews more with Hawthorn, Collingwood or the Brisbane Lions? The answer would depend on the club loyalty of that supporter.
Damien Hardwick won premierships as a player at Essendon and Port Adelaide before he took the coaching reins at Punt Rd. He came close to losing his job after seven years in charge, but guided Richmond to a drought-breaking crown the following season.
He’s now in his 10th year at Tigerland and his playing career has all but been erased from his CV as the Tiger Army claims him as one of their own.
Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for.
I was reminded of this during the week when I received a letter from a West Coast Eagles fan. The author stated that he had questioned my appointment as coach in 1990, asking: “How dare they replace a club great (John Todd) with a Victorian?”
He then wrote, “but all was forgiven” when we won the premiership in 1992!

Regardless of the letter, as much as I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Eagles and sincerely treasure the friendships formed, I remember feeling like an outsider during my 10-year tenure. I still do, to a degree, because I don’t have a West Australian heritage to intrinsically bind me to the club.
I can almost guarantee that Fremantle will appoint its next coach from one of only two candidates, both of whom are WA men with strong links to the club — Peter Sumich and Justin Longmuir.
The Dockers have had Victorians — Damian Drum, Chris Connolly, Mark Harvey and Ross Lyon — as coach for 21 of the club’s 25 seasons. Lyon took Fremantle to its only Grand Final in his second year (2013), and finals campaigns in the following two seasons, but he has departed.
There is no pressure like external pressure when supporters and the media decide you’re not the person for the job.
It is a terrible feeling when you are busting your guts to get a win and you are being potted from every angle. No matter what you do or say, you are savagely and relentlessly scrutinised until it almost distracts you from your job. No one is immune to that level of scrutiny.
It has an adverse effect on the players who don’t care where you came from, but just want to be coached.
WA product Worsfold hasn’t been embraced by the Bombers faithful. Pic: AAP
Brad Scott was regularly criticised by former Kangaroos players who said he didn’t coach North Melbourne with enough “Shinboner passion”. Really?
Don Pyke is constantly referred to as a West Australian in the South Australian media and is under immense pressure.
Even when I was at Collingwood for 12 years, I had a running joke with a kitchen volunteer who always referred to me as “the thug from Richmond”.
Like Hird at Essendon, Nathan Buckley is pure black and white and backed to the hilt by the Magpie faithful. Likewise Paul Roos at Sydney, even though he began his career at Fitzroy before playing at the Swans.
At the Richmond-Brisbane Lions game two weeks ago, I was asked by someone sitting nearby who I was barracking for. I was horrified she didn’t think I was supporting the Tigers. I am a life member at three clubs and my interest is with the clubs I’ve served.

He has history with Essendon now after four years in charge as coach, with or without a future at the club.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bombers,

John Worsfold an ‘outsider’ at Bombers and may be a sitting duck, writes Mick Malthouse
John Worsfold isn’t a golden boy at the Bombers like James Hird. And after a finals exit, Mick Malthouse writes the pressure is mounting on the Essendon coach. But should it be?
Subscriber only
|

similars

He was deemed a club saviour when he was appointed Essendon coach after the club’s supplements scandal, but that quickly wore off when the banned players returned and things went back to “normal”.
In the past season or two it seems that when the Bombers won the team was brilliant, and when they lost it was the coach’s fault. This appears to be driven by Essendon supporters and further fuelled by social media and the press.

Worsfold is a West Australian through and through. He was the golden boy of WA football when he starred for South Fremantle in the WAFL and his popularity increased when he was appointed West Coast captain in 1991 at age 22.
He is a two-time premiership skipper and West Coast premiership coach. He also represented WA in State-of-Origin five times.
As captain he was totally driven and his teammates followed without hesitation. He found conflict difficult and often relied on his vice-captain to be the disciplinarian. He was as mentally tough as he was physically courageous on field. He was stoic and fiercely loyal.
In the Perth community he was the gentle, shy and softly-spoken pharmacist, from a strong football family. Clark Kent and Superman.

Not in the way they cared about dual Bombers premiership player, five-times club best and fairest and Brownlow medallist James Hird. Nor how they cared for club legend, three-time premiership player and former captain, Mark Thompson. And not how they cared for Kevin Sheedy, eventually, after he won them four premierships in 26 years as coach.

To Essendon fans, Worsfold is almost an impostor. He isn’t a club great. He hasn’t bled for the red and black. He isn’t even from Victoria. That makes him an outsider.
And when you’re an outsider in charge of a football club, you are always in the crosshairs.
Once upon a time when the VFL was created from suburban teams and zones, coaches generally came from within the ranks and many even played as captain-coach. It was a natural progression for a good on-field leader to become a club’s coach.
— John Kennedy (Hawthorn), club captain and four-time best and fairest, first premiership coach.
— Allan Jeans (St Kilda), ordinary player, extraordinary coach. St Kilda’s only premiership coach.
— Tom Hafey (Richmond), tough player, coached through the golden era at Richmond.

But as times change and the league changes with it, the introduction of new teams has altered history. Perhaps where you come from isn’t as important.
Do football fans associate Leigh Matthews more with Hawthorn, Collingwood or the Brisbane Lions? The answer would depend on the club loyalty of that supporter.
Damien Hardwick won premierships as a player at Essendon and Port Adelaide before he took the coaching reins at Punt Rd. He came close to losing his job after seven years in charge, but guided Richmond to a drought-breaking crown the following season.
He’s now in his 10th year at Tigerland and his playing career has all but been erased from his CV as the Tiger Army claims him as one of their own.
Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for.
I was reminded of this during the week when I received a letter from a West Coast Eagles fan. The author stated that he had questioned my appointment as coach in 1990, asking: “How dare they replace a club great (John Todd) with a Victorian?”

Regardless of the letter, as much as I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Eagles and sincerely treasure the friendships formed, I remember feeling like an outsider during my 10-year tenure. I still do, to a degree, because I don’t have a West Australian heritage to intrinsically bind me to the club.
I can almost guarantee that Fremantle will appoint its next coach from one of only two candidates, both of whom are WA men with strong links to the club — Peter Sumich and Justin Longmuir.
The Dockers have had Victorians — Damian Drum, Chris Connolly, Mark Harvey and Ross Lyon — as coach for 21 of the club’s 25 seasons. Lyon took Fremantle to its only Grand Final in his second year (2013), and finals campaigns in the following two seasons, but he has departed.
There is no pressure like external pressure when supporters and the media decide you’re not the person for the job.
It is a terrible feeling when you are busting your guts to get a win and you are being potted from every angle. No matter what you do or say, you are savagely and relentlessly scrutinised until it almost distracts you from your job. No one is immune to that level of scrutiny.
It has an adverse effect on the players who don’t care where you came from, but just want to be coached.
Brad Scott was regularly criticised by former Kangaroos players who said he didn’t coach North Melbourne with enough “Shinboner passion”. Really?
Don Pyke is constantly referred to as a West Australian in the South Australian media and is under immense pressure.
Even when I was at Collingwood for 12 years, I had a running joke with a kitchen volunteer who always referred to me as “the thug from Richmond”.
Like Hird at Essendon, Nathan Buckley is pure black and white and backed to the hilt by the Magpie faithful. Likewise Paul Roos at Sydney, even though he began his career at Fitzroy before playing at the Swans.
At the Richmond-Brisbane Lions game two weeks ago, I was asked by someone sitting nearby who I was barracking for. I was horrified she didn’t think I was supporting the Tigers. I am a life member at three clubs and my interest is with the clubs I’ve served.

He has history with Essendon now after four years in charge as coach, with or without a future at the club.
What a pointless article. Results are the reason why Worsfold is under pressure, not because he is an imposter.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah that's a great trait to have as our leader? Not.

Ridiculous article by Malthouse referring more to a reflection of his football coaching life.

Sheedy never played for red and black yet we embraced him. I think majority embraced whoosh as well but the game style isn't stacking up.

Woosh lied to us as well, he told us to get excited this year?

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bombers,

Subscriber only
|

I don't buy into this. If Mark Harvey was the head coach then I think most people would still feel the same way. A bit of leeway is given to club champions but if the fans aren't happy then they'll still want change. The support for Hird was different because of the cult of personality, people believed he was the right coach, and it was Essendon against the world. In a way, wanting Hird sacked was an admission of guilt and defeat.

topheavy

Debutant
Jun 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bombers,

Subscriber only
|

similars

Let’s not sweep under the carpet the bias Mick has towards John in writing this article.

I think the fans would relate better to Worsfold if it looked like he really cared. Unfortunately for mine it looks like he is coaching for the paycheck.
Actions speak louder than words at the end of day. I’m just hearing lip service from Worsfold about all the ‘positives’.
An acceptance of absolute mediocrity with our talented list (Saad, Stringer, Hurley, Hooker, McGrath, Tippa, Fantasia, Merrett, Redman, Shiel, Heppell, Francis with Smith and Daniher to come back in) is infuriating.

Back