Disposals: 21.1 per game
Marks: 7.2 per game

Milestones

Ranked 12th in the AFL for total kicks
Ranked 5th in the AFL for total marks
Ranked 6th in the AFL for total rebound 50s
Ranked 12th in the AFL for total metres gained
Ranked 1st in the AFL for total intercepts
Career high disposals in a game (33, versus GWS Giants)

Standout

Round 16, 2019 (versus Collingwood Magpies): Imperious in defence for Hawthorn for much of the game, Sicily earned the maximum Yabby medal votes available for his 28 disposal, 14 mark effort against the Magpies that helped Hawthorn snap a four game losing streak and set the platform for an ultimately fruitless charge towards the finals. The Magpies could hardly find a way past Sicily, who used his tremendous capacity to read the game to chop off Magpie thrusts forward and then he used his precision kicking to set Hawthorn away.

Shocker

Round 14, 2019 (versus Sydney Swans): Thrown forward by Clarkson to try to create something, the move backfired against the Swans as Sicily hardly got near it. Managed a season-low eight disposals (including one goal) in a game the Hawks lost by 19 points. Although he had earned his way into the Hawthorn team as a forward, this game signalled that he belonged in the big show as a defender.

6 - James Sicily (2018)

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have a lot of good honest players on the list but not many who opposition sides genuinely fear. Sicily is one of them. He's a weapon and had a very good season Young enough that he should continue to improve. Discipline remains a weakness, though he has matured and improved a lot in that respect. I think Clarko manages him brilliantly.

He would be assisted by a more defensive CHB in the side, allowing him to free wheel and damage.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I remember watching young Siz at a BH v Williamstown game had 5 goals, 5 minutes into the second quarter before Woodward got racially abused and he went nut. I said then we've got a good bloke wild, man occasionally but a bloke who gives a s**t about his teammates before he cares what officialdom wants to portray him. He took every bullshit free kick, every bullshit in the second half of the season and still the AFL spat at him and refused to make him all Australian.

Now I look at the All Australian team and ask who out of Hurn, McGovern, Grimes, Houli, Andrews and Stewart is going to pick up a forward line of Cameron, Walters as an example and well s**t yeah Dangerfield cos he is explosively fast? They are as slow as a wet week, as you'll ever see perhaps Stewart, perhaps Grimes who is very smart to cut of angles but neither of them has been picked as a fast small or mid sized backmen. Siz pantsed all six forwards, but the AFL treat him like crap.

I'm not having a go at those guys selected but it one of the worst balanced backlines I've ever seen. I'll have to assume Gerard Healy the worlds greatest current tool of understanding footy is still in charge of selection. Apparently he still coaches short people once a year. He'd have to be the only Brownlow medallist not to cash in hand one night coaching. Ok being facetious at him but you get my anger.

Anyway Siz had a superb year. I don't have a problem saying he is our most influential player week in week out and definitely was this year.

Very good and very consistent. Would love to see him sneak forward more. His goal against WC was awesome.

Clubs are wise to it now, and he's also playing a more responsible role than he was at the end of 2017 and through 2018. CHB as opposed to the loose man.

I'd love to see it more too but it's also a good sign that he's playing his man close enough.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had a simply awesome year. Aside from a handfull of games (mostly those that he was forced to play forward by Clarko) he was in the top 5 most influencial players on the field.
Also kept his cool (mostly) across the year and seems to have found the correct emotional "line" to play at.
Hats off to the Blonde Prince ;)

Since the Brits appointed Gary Busey as Prime Minister, I’d like us to give a blonde loose nut a shot - is Sicily loose enough to run this country or should we leave him be, dominating forwardlines like a Boss:cool:

More than his big marks, I love the way he casually strolls through multiple forward tacklers on his way out of the backline before spearing a pass 50m to advantage...

Absolute jet!

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
Since the Brits appointed Gary Busey as Prime Minister, I’d like us to give a blonde loose nut a shot - is Sicily loose enough to run this country or should we leave him be, dominating forwardlines like a Boss:cool:

More than his big marks, I love the way he casually strolls through multiple forward tacklers on his way out of the backline before spearing a pass 50m to advantage...

Absolute jet!
Nice.
Just not sure about 'strolling through multiple tacklers'. He really makes me nervous when decides to 'take a stroll'. Has been caught HTB many times!

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would love to see him play loose back and roam forward to the 50 Line, would be a hard matchup for opposition

He looks like he’s taking the piss a lot of the time, due to ease with which he gets around blokes or takes intercept marks.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He looks like he’s taking the piss a lot of the time, due to ease with which he gets around blokes or takes intercept marks.
Another pre season in the gym, and core strength work, could see him break more tackles with his hips. You can see him trying to do it, but gets caught at times because I don't think he's quite there strength wise. Would complete his game.

That's the one we were waiting for! :D:hearteyes:

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Sic has signed on until the end of 2022, when he will become a free agent if he chooses to leave.

Will be good having him until then, but can't say I'm not worried about losing him as a free agent after this contract. He's the one player on our list that I'm worried about leaving in free agency.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was always signing a 2 year extension after free agency... He will be a Hawk for life but his camp anticipate Clarko may be finishing up at the end of this contract so do not want to commit any further, Clarko has the leverage for a lot of our players.

Back