Roger Federer is not the GOAT

They both caught Fed on the way down. He's 5 years older than Nadal and what 7 older than Novak?

If you watch tennis. The eye test will tell you that Federer is clearly the superior tennis player.

In YOUR opinion. There is an argument for any one of those 3. Personally I hate splitting them, and rather wait till the end of Novak's career. His stats against Federer are phenomenal.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
It's not really an opinion. Federer is a better tennis player. Novak and Nadal have their particular styles that serve them extremely well.

But Federer is a different beast. Can serve you out of a game. Great defensively. Has power, precision. Devastating at the net. Can serve and volley. Hyper intelligent and capable of pulling of shots the other two don't where you're just like... wtf!?

He's pure tennis ability in every facet of the game whereas Nadal your ground and pound and Novak your agility, defense and power. But Federer can do EVERYTHING.

Novak might catch his slams titles. Fed will be hard pressed to get another at his age and Novak has literally zero competition such is the weakness in men's tennis. So he will probably catch him.

But nobody could ever tell me Novak is a better all around tennis player than Roger Federer. No chance.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
It's not really an opinion. Federer is a better tennis player. Novak and Nadal have their particular styles that serve them extremely well.

But Federer is a different beast. Can serve you out of a game. Great defensively. Has power, precision. Devastating at the net. Can serve and volley. Hyper intelligent and capable of pulling of shots the other two don't where you're just like... wtf!?

He's pure tennis ability in every facet of the game whereas Nadal your ground and pound and Novak your agility, defense and power. But Federer can do EVERYTHING.

Novak might catch his slams titles. Fed will be hard pressed to get another at his age and Novak has literally zero competition such is the weakness in men's tennis. So he will probably catch him.

But nobody could ever tell me Novak is a better all around tennis player than Roger Federer. No chance.
Novak has been in the midst of the best generation of professional tennis ever. Nadal won his first grand slam at 19, French Open 2005. Federer had already won 4. The argument that Federer is too old for Novak is nonsense.
Djokovic won his first at 20, like I said, in 2008. Federer at the time was 26. He’s in his prime. For the next 5-7 years he was in that prime age category, whereas Novak and Nadal started dominating at a younger age.
Sure Federer had all that ability, but still doesn’t dominate up against Novak and Nadal. They too have some impressive agility, ability and fitness to go the 5 setter. That’s the key thing- Federer couldn’t really go the distance. He’s often breaks up points quickly, and likes to volley whereas Nadal and Novak are baseline players. Federer haven’t really broken away from that. The longer the rally goes, the better it is for Novak and Nadal. He knows that, and unfortunately gets found out on it. In tie breakers against the duo, he tends to get overwhelmed and like on Sunday night, that was the case. Loss all three tiebreakers.

Novak is now 31. He’s hardly going to go on and dominate to win 5-10 more. Doubt he would go to 37. Weak competition? Nadal and Novak, like Federer, will probably go on for another 3-5 years trying to beat that magic 20 titles. So it’s a great competition.
It’s just the fact that Federer has gone on past the age in which the tennis greats often retire is the outlier. Exceptional athlete that has had the incredible fortune of nil major injuries. A bit of luck thrown in too

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Nadal literally ticks five of those boxes. Great defensively, power, precision, impeccable net skills, intelligent, shot making....

Novak has better depth of shot, consistency of shot, less unforced errors, better court coverage and footwork and his tactics during matches are next level. How do you think he's won so many slams despite not having such an elegant and 'flawless' game like Roger does?

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Also...
They both caught Fed on the way down. He's 5 years older than Nadal and what 7 older than Novak?
Um. What was Federer doing at Novak's current age? Why couldn't a 32 year old Roger dominate like Novak is right now?

Oh that's right. Behind Novak Djokovic - yet again.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nadal literally ticks five of those boxes. Great defensively, power, precision, impeccable net skills, intelligent, shot making....

Novak has better depth of shot, consistency of shot, less unforced errors, better court coverage and footwork and his tactics during matches are next level. How do you think he's won so many slams despite not having such an elegant and 'flawless' game like Roger does?

Wouldn’t describe Rafa as having impeccable net skills.
He and Novak are solid at the net but not top shelf...but that’s the way the game has been for the last 15 years or so.
I personally think Wimbledon went too far in slowing the game down, they’ve killed the attacking volleyor, a great athletic offensive skill of the game.

Again I’m not sure Rafa would have won any Wimbledon’s under the faster conditions.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Wouldn’t describe Rafa as having impeccable net skills.
He and Novak are solid at the net but not top shelf...but that’s the way the game has been for the last 15 years or so.
I personally think Wimbledon went too far in slowing the game down, they’ve killed the attacking volleyor, a great athletic offensive skill of the game.

Again I’m not sure Rafa would have won any Wimbledon’s under the faster conditions.
I think his approaches and volley placement is elite. He doesn't approach the net as much as the others do, but when he does he actually wins at a higher rate than the other two guys. It's a very underrated part of his game.

The chart above says a lot about his net skills.

Last edited:

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think his approaches and volley placement is elite. He doesn't approach the net as much as the others do, but when he does he actually wins at a higher rate than the other two guys. It's a very underrated part of his game.

View attachment 710488

The chart above says a lot about his net skills.
Does it? Being more selective with your net approaches should give you a higher % of conversion, esp when you’re following in that forehand.

Federer really only has the slam count padded from the 03-07 weak era and a "pwetty backhand" going for him at this stage.
Djokovic will soon take over most year end no.1's and most weeks at no.1.
Less masters titles than both of Djokodal
No golden masters
No olympic singles gold
Losing overall h2h vs both of Djokodal
Losing slam h2h vs both of Djokodal
Lower overall win % vs both of Djokodal
Lower elo rating vs both of Djokodal
Who gives a * about masters titles? The only titles that matter are GS titles.

And H2H is irrelevant. Certainly no where near GS titles.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
- In grand slams total victories, on avg Djokovic's opponents' ranking has been 39, Nadal's is 50.7, and Federer's is 49.3.
In the FINALS of grand slams, the avg opponent ranking for Djokovic has been 5.7, for Nadal it's 7.1, while for Federer it's 14.9!
- Also, when Federer has LOST in GS finals, his avg opponent ranking was 10.7, while for Djokovic it's 4.6 and for Rafa it's 6.3.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Who gives a fu** about masters titles? The only titles that matter are GS titles.

And H2H is irrelevant. Certainly no where near GS titles.

I was going to suggest that your first sentence was complete nonsense but then I read your second sentence and I just honestly can't be bothered arguing with you. I think you will dismiss any position simply because it differs from your own.

I was going to suggest that your first sentence was complete nonsense but then I read your second sentence and I just honestly can't be bothered arguing with you. I think you will dismiss any position simply because it differs from your own.
That's because you have no argument. Because it's a stupid argument to put Masters and H2H on the same pegging as GS titles.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
That's because you have no argument. Because it's a stupid argument to put Masters and H2H on the same pegging as GS titles.

Your bias is clouding your judgement.
Nobody is saying they are the same as Grand Slam achievements, simply that should two players be on similar Grand Slam tallies then secondary considerations (such as Masters, head-to-heads, weeks at no 1 etc) are relevant considerations.
Surely the discussion cannot be determined solely by the number of grand slams. Such a position is absolutely absurd.

Surely the discussion cannot be determined solely by the number of grand slams. Such a position is absolutely absurd.
Yes it can. The gap is four, that's still pretty big... should've been five if Federer wasn't a choker.

It is like GF wins - no one cares who finished #1 at the end of the H&A season.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suppose Nadal will be co-GOAT if he ties Federer in slam titles (easily achievable) no matter how many times he has won Roland Garros?
Nah they’re weighted, sort of like how swimming medals should be vs athletic medals.
Everyone knows 1 Wimbledon is worth at least 2 French, it’s grass v dirt fgs

Back