Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Richmond 10 to <30

Votes: 97 36.6%
  • Richmond by 30+

Votes: 41 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So when does Grimes get properly put on notice for his flopping? His dive last night was three times as bad as the one he took in round 2 against us. If you look at the replay you'll notice that he makes the decision that he's going to fall over as the Brisbane player is running in before he even touches him. Grimes is one of my favourite non-Collingwood players due to his no fuss, no fanfare way of consistently getting the job done but he's far too good and respected a footballer to be going down this path IMO.
Grimes has no doubt been influenced by Jerremy Howe's perfection of the art of diving.

Don't disagree that Hipwood didn't need to instigate it mate but he did, and then Grimes took a massive flop. Those are the facts. The fact that it was a premeditated dive and not an impulsive one makes it an even worse look too.
Premeditated? Are you actually sure what that means? Are you saying he knew that Hipwood would come in and bump him and then knew he would exaggerate it and hope for a free? Wow.
I’d give him the free just for being able to predict all these things.....

You're right he had no need to get involved but it happens 50 times a game in every game, and has always and will always be a part of the game.

Weird to equate something like that with one of the biggest dives we've seen on the footy field.
And players exaggerate contact to try to earn a free since they started playing the game. What needed to happen is the umpire should have said "I’m not falling for that Dylan" and allowed Cameron to take his kick. The fact he didn’t shouldn’t be blamed on Grimes. He did what you see players do countless times a week without the umpires getting sucked in. And if you disagree you don’t watch the game closely enough.

Premeditated? Are you actually sure what that means? Are you saying he knew that Hipwood would come in and bump him and then knew he would exaggerate it and hope for a free? Wow.
I’d give him the free just for being able to predict all these things.....
No, I'm saying it was premeditated in that he had already made the decision that he was going to go to ground as Hipwood was running in before he had even touched him. Watch the tape.

And players exaggerate contact to try to earn a free since they started playing the game. What needed to happen is the umpire should have said "I’m not falling for that Dylan" and allowed Cameron to take his kick. The fact he didn’t shouldn’t be blamed on Grimes. He did what you see players do countless times a week without the umpires getting sucked in. And if you disagree you don’t watch the game closely enough.

This is one of the weirdest shifting of blames I've ever seen.

Can't both Grimes be at fault for diving as was as the umpire being at fault for being sucked in? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Doing it more than once in the same season makes you a serial offender in my books.

Howe's was poor, as was Zorko's. Every single dive that takes place, both the blatant ones and the marginal ones, should be fined. That's the quickest way to stamp it out - penalize it every single time it happens. Grimes' last night was the worst there's been this year IMO.
While i'm not condoning Grimes' staging for second, you do remember Blicavs' effort, don't you?

Lions will go down in straight sets. They overachieved this year with a piss easy draw. Will be exposed as an average side next year with a more difficult draw.
At least we will always have this.
F8F40EC4-CE3D-42B4-B4A5-CE1A8AE7DAFD.jpeg

Can't both Grimes be at fault for diving as was as the umpire being at fault for being sucked in? Why does it have to be one or the other?

As Grimes and Zorko both got fined it seems that Christian didn't like the look either (but Collingwood's Howe dive was OK???). It also brings into focus the integrity/ability of the umpire, who was right next to Grimes action but chose to give him a free kick. Christian just threw him under the bus.

Probably in the same place you were after last years prelim.
Humility, look it up in the dictionary.

Bahahahahaha did you say humility the pies are the worst bar none. It has been one year and you numnuts are still talking it up and rubbing it in, its somewhat embarrassing for a supporter group to put on a mantle piece a prelim victory 12 months on when the big dance was 7 days later and you choked after being 5 goals up. Tunnel vision posting at its finest. Pies supporters in any footy debate bring up the prelim :rolleyes: oh u did too i rest my case!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Grimes and Zorko both got fined it seems that Christian didn't like the look either (but Collingwood's Howe dive was OK???). It also brings into focus the integrity/ability of the umpire, who was right next to Grimes action but chose to give him a free kick. Christian just threw him under the bus.

That's a good thing though.

Much better than blindly standing by them and rolling out some crap about believing in the umpires and them doing the best they can.

No, I'm saying it was premeditated in that he had already made the decision that he was going to go to ground as Hipwood was running in before he had even touched him. Watch the tape.

One of our posters mentioned this on the Lions board. Grimes made the decision to dive as he saw Hipwood coming towards him.

They said the same last year after we belted Hawks. Unfortunately the PF didn't go our way. Anything can still happen.
Come on mate, where’s that bullish Richmond confidence? Richmond will win comfortably should they hold off West Coast next week. If Geelong play them they’ll win by 80 and be resting blokes at the end of the third. Eagles are your biggest challenge, unfortunately we can’t see you play them in a GF but a close PF would be huge.

I will say this; beware the sleeping giant ;)

Doing it more than once in the same season makes you a serial offender in my books.

Howe's was poor, as was Zorko's. Every single dive that takes place, both the blatant ones and the marginal ones, should be fined. That's the quickest way to stamp it out - penalize it every single time it happens. Grimes' last night was the worst there's been this year IMO.
Yeah I'm with you. I don't remember him doing it last time but I'll take your word.

What annoys me is the inconsistency of the fines. If Chrisso can get away without giving out a fine he does and it shouldn't be like that. Stamp it out.

Yeah I'm with you. I don't remember him doing it last time but I'll take your word.

What annoys me is the inconsistency of the fines. If Chrisso can get away without giving out a fine he does and it shouldn't be like that. Stamp it out.
Agree. And at the same time stamp out the excessive ducking and head feigning playing for any sort of free kick. Guys like Shuey, Selwood, Ryan, Christensen, would be found out pretty quickly.

Wasn't even the worst dive in that game. Zorko was worse.

If Brisbane had of kicked straight tonight there wouldn't have been much in it - Brisbane were extremely inaccurate and Richmond extremely accurate! At one stage both teams had the exact same amount of scoring shots. Too early for Richmond to start crowing yet - just remember last year when you got belted by the Pies.

The moment you started with IF your post was a Gonski! Bad kicking is bad football. Its finals pressure, perceived pressure.
One can only imagine if the roles were reversed and lions won by 8 goals something tells me that all the neutrals wouldn't be patting Richmond on the back saying oh if Richmond kicked straight they would've won or made it really close, their would-be full on praising the lions for destroying us and rightly so.

Heads up champ its 2019 forget the prelim of 2018 we have a different game style, different players, peaking at the right time of the year etc
We are looking good we play the eagles or cats and thats it. I look no further than that.

Back