Autopsy Pies beat the Cats, into the Preliminary Final!

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand mate but that board has a thread SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to provoke responses it is unacceptable and would not be tolerated on this board.
It’s their dung heap, they can arrange the cushions how they feel.

Jesus F Christ what a non-issue

He wasn't bog, but it's worth mentioning how beastly wills can be in the packs when you're watching from ground level rather than on tv.

Sidebottom was amazing and that last quarter from Moore was incredible.

Great game, made better by the fact I was sitting next to cocky Geelong fans who I didn't hear a peep out of after the first 10 mins
The Willserbeast!

But a DeGoey down and we only have one. Maybe 40:60 that he'll be back for Granny.
But def in much better shape than this time last year.
A De Goey down is somewhat counteracted by an Elliott absolutely flying at the moment to be fair.

I think maybe it’s our bottom four that concern me most relative to this time last year but the roles Noble and Wills in particular are performing are critical.

But a DeGoey down and we only have one. Maybe 40:60 that he'll be back for Granny.
But def in much better shape than this time last year.
True. *sigh*

And a Cox down, and probably more importantly a Langdon down.

On a positive note, we basically beat the Cats without De Goey and a rotation down.

If that was the concern surely the decision should have been to drop Taylor or Henry. Leave Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs down back. Bring in Menagola for a tall defender instead. I must say I was worried when Blicavs lined up on Grundy, I thought Blicavs would hurt us around the ground. In retrospect Stanley should have played especially considering how well he did against Grundy in round 1.
Reality is, Grundy was on one leg in the Rd 1 clash. Still a carry over from the Roughead accident at the Gold Coast camp. Didn't play much in the pre-season including the Melbourne practice match. Shouldn't really have been playing. Walked from contest to contest and could barely kick, including a missed goal from the top of the square as a set shot.
The Rd 1 clash made Stanley appear much better than he really was.

But I also agree that Geelong was too top heavy. Their defence was massive. They may have been better off using a tall in attack and trying to stretch us in defence.

All of the Chris Scott lines about 'a heavy training load' impacting their post bye form is BS too in the opinion of a Cats man who has been discussed earlier in this thread.
In my own opinion, Chris Scott is great at deflecting with conspiracies etc but not at man management. He doesn't really like people. That's a problem when you coach a team of people and have a lot of support staff around the club.
Cats have a good list, attract talent based upon the low key lifestyle of the region, are a pretty well run club too under Brian Cook and others but get a big leg up by playing H&A games at their home ground.
As Buckley also did after taking over from Malthouse, the team still performed when Scott took over in his first year and was even good enough to win a premiership.
Chris Scott has major problems post byes and when things heat up at finals time when not played on their unique ground. Not sure he's up to fixing the team's problems at this stage.

A De Goey down is somewhat counteracted by an Elliott absolutely flying at the moment to be fair.

I think maybe it’s our bottom four that concern me most relative to this time last year but the roles Noble and Wills in particular are performing are critical.
How is the Bear?

Im not too fussed about being a De Goey down, dunno if its just me that's noticed but for when both he & Billy are both fit and in the forward line it just completely doesn't work. Friday night obviously DG wasnt right and was MIA and Jamie starred, then other games when Elliott didnt play DG played well. I think if we have Mihocek FF and Jamie in CHF or forward pocket to scrape up the crumbs when Mihocek inevitably gets pushed around and shoved under the ball or his arms chopped without any frees awarded that will work very nicely. Cos we all know thats exactly whats going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I am getting senile, but I was not even remotely nervous after half time as Geebung tried to claw their way back into the lead.
Best defensive effort I can remember from a Pies side in many years and exactly what was required.
I think the coach would be absolutely happy the side absolutely executed the brief, despite the injury challenges.

YOu just don't get it

Um I fully get it. I just don't agree that he can't add more then what he does when he gets opportunities or another player couldn't provide similar but cleaner when they get possession.

He provides defensive aspects which create neutral balls and help restrict opposition from clean clearances. Frees up pendles trelloar etc to be more outside.

Not going to rehash my views fully and frankly couldn't care less if people struggle to understand where I'm coming from now either.

Maybe I am getting senile, but I was not even remotely nervous after half time as Geebung tried to claw their way back into the lead.
Best defensive effort I can remember from a Pies side in many years and exactly what was required.
I think the coach would be absolutely happy the side absolutely executed the brief, despite the injury challenges.
We are definitely starting to get rolling aren’t we.

Why are Geelong referred to as ‘handbaggers’?
9A69D8D7-BBD9-4F88-938F-13F6A4C1C771.jpeg

We were amazing in that first half and would have blown any lesser team completely out of the water. I knew 5 minutes into the first that we'd come to play, and if we continue in this vain I fear no side in this finals series.

Selwood and Scott irritate me but to be fair Geelong aren't soft, quite the opposite. They are a good side and proved themselves to be as such on Friday night against us. They deserve respect for fighting until the end and for managing to turn the game into a contest. Our injuries and reduced rotations gave them a hint of a chance, and they took it. That's what good sides do.

People here would have been reaching for the pitchforks if our selections had backfired the way Geelong's did or if Buckley had carried on the way Scott did during the lead up to the game.

People here would have been reaching for the pitchforks if our selections had backfired the way Geelong's did or if Buckley had carried on the way Scott did during the lead up to the game.

That is the point isn't it? Bucks would focus on us and what we can control and will make selections accordingly. He wouldn't harp on about external issues nor try to pull a rabbit out of a hat with a late change.

Remember how he handled the shorter break last finals series between the semi final and the preliminary final? He welcomed it rather than making it a negative.

We have the best coach, intelligent, humble and more importantly human.

We were amazing in that first half and would have blown any lesser team completely out of the water. I knew 5 minutes into the first that we'd come to play, and if we continue in this vain I fear no side in this finals series.

Selwood and Scott irritate me but to be fair Geelong aren't soft, quite the opposite. They are a good side and proved themselves to be as such on Friday night against us. They deserve respect for fighting until the end and for managing to turn the game into a contest. Our injuries and reduced rotations gave them a hint of a chance, and they took it. That's what good sides do.

Just in case, my question about ‘handbaggers’ wasn’t intended as a slight on them.
For sure a combination of things came into play which got them back in the game. Firstly two rotations down hurt us, secondly we changed our tempo and game style during the latter part of the game to get us home. But you’re right, they played the game out.
I am always a strong advocate for backing our team and coaching panel in. We win and lose a club and if we want to celebrate the good times together we shouldn’t pull out the pitchforks as you say during the bad times because inevitably they come at some stage.
Side By Side.

Just in case, my question about ‘handbaggers’ wasn’t intended as a slight on them.
For sure a combination of things came into play which got them back in the game. Firstly two rotations down hurt us, secondly we changed our tempo and game style during the latter part of the game to get us home. But you’re right, they played the game out.
I am always a strong advocate for backing our team and coaching panel in. We win and lose a club and if we want to celebrate the good times together we shouldn’t pull out the pitchforks as you say during the bad times because inevitably they come at some stage.
Side By Side.

I agree. That change of tempo was a little frustrating to watch at the ground but in hindsight it was forced on us. That frantic attack wasn't possible for 4 quarters especially with 2 men down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back