Preview Second Semi-Final - Brisbane v GWS Giants, Saturday 14th September, Gabba, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Great result yesterday afternoon, and very satisfying to reverse the embarrassment of Round 22. We were on from the first bounce, and never really in serious trouble.

It was almost deja vu from last year. Remember? The Swans accounted for us at home very late in the season, only to have the result overturned convincingly in the EF.

Now for next Saturday, and we certainly don't want anymore deja vu.

Brisbane has been the “feel good” story of 2019, enjoying a remarkable rise up the ladder after many years in the doldrums. We got a taste of their improvement back in Round 16. They jumped out of the blocks that day and led by 20 points at the first break, which became the winning margin. We were expected to continue our long dominance over them; the last time they lowered our colours was six years ago. But we were never in the hunt.

We are now, or at least we will be, if we maintain the sort of pressure we showed with the Bulldogs. I was surprised to learn that despite the 47-point margin, the Lions actually had the edge on Richmond in several key statistics, including clearances (44-39), contested possessions (157-144), scoring shots (25-22), turnovers (67-77) and especially inside 50s (65-54). However, they were very wasteful, kicking 8.17, and inaccuracy like that is usually caused by pressure.

The problem Brisbane have is that after riding a wave of euphoria for most of the season, Richmond have now well and truly burst their bubble, first at the MCG and then at home. It remains to be seen if we can capitalise on it. EF final winners usually go on to lose the following week. It happened to us last year versus Collingwood. The betting markets don’t give us much chance.

It’s notable that only three clubs kicked more than 100 points this week – West Coast, Richmond and ourselves. None of the others managed to kick even 10 goals, including Brisbane. Is that an omen? Scoring prowess matters at this time of year. It’s something to think about.

With the line-up, it’s a shame about Deledio. What’s almost certain to be his final calf injury will force at least one change.Tomlinson might get a recall after being dropped against the Dogs. Whatever his other shortcomings, he does have finals experience. I can’t see Leon wanting to make too many changes in an otherwise successful line-up.

I think we’ve got enough history under our belts in big finals to get over the line, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and head up north. I haven’t been to the Gabba for years and always enjoy it. If we win, Coniglio will be back for the PF, and I think that might add a bit of extra motivation, as the boys are very tight-knit.

It will be a cracker, so let’s go Giants, let’s go! :thumbsu:

Last edited:

It's now after lunch after the big win yesterday however we must now switch to next Saturday against the Lions

Second semi-final
Brisbane v Greater Western Sydney at the Gabba, 7.25pm AEST

Last time we played ;

GWS GIANTS 1.2 5.5 8.6 11.8 (74)
BRISBANE 4.4 8.7 12.10 14.10 (94)

GOALS
GWS Giants:
Himmelberg 4, Greene 3, J.Cameron 2, Finlayson, Williams
Brisbane: McCarthy 3, C.Cameron 2, Berry, Rayner, Lyons, Bailey, Neale, Christensen, Hipwood, McCluggage, McStay

BEST
GWS Giants:
Coniglio, Williams, Himmelberg, Greene, Hopper
Brisbane: Neale, Andrews, McCarthy, McCluggage, Hodge, Martin

INJURIES
GWS Giants:
Kelly (calf), Coniglio (knee), Langdon (ankle)
Brisbane: Hipwood (ankle)

No Mummy or De Boer for that game and to the Lions credit they were on.

This game the team needs to do the same thing not just tag Neale but target him every single contest, create blockages and were together as midfield unit.

Those that are travelling up book quickly Jetstar's prices are going up and will be safer to go with Virgin for the same price from previous experiences

Try booking and package the lot through ;

Huh?

GIANTS forward Toby Greene has been sent to the AFL tribunal for serious misconduct against Marcus Bontempelli.

Greene was charged by the Match Review Officer following Saturday’s win over the Western Bulldogs.

Found more info:

GWS star Toby Greene is in doubt for his club's elimination semi-final against Brisbane after being sent directly to the tribunal on a serious misconduct charge.

Greene has been cited for an act against Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli during the first quarter of their elimination final at Giants Stadium on Saturday.

Footage of the incident shows Greene and Bontempelli grappling, with Bontempelli at the bottom of a pack. A mark is visible under Bontempelli's right eye.

Found more info:

Oh dear that is not good at all

There is not much footage, but with a bad history and them wanting to stamp this stuff out of the game, I think that may have been greens last game for this year no matter how deep we go :(

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, definitely no favours will be done to Toby. Of course, if the case is proven, it will warrant suspension but I haven't seen any decent vision so I won't pass judgement. (I'm sure that won't be the case for some of our BF rivals.)

If we have Lids & Toby to replace, it will be interesting which way the match committee goes. Tommo for Lids & Bobby Hill for Toby would seem one approach, but do either Isaac Cumming or Jackson Hately get a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen that

Nothing to support an eye gouge, no Mark’s on bont a eye region and no remonstration after the incident

Dogs medical will be the difference

Hair pulling should not be a week
I see what you mean now.

True the eye is the big one I guess. We will see

Seriously.

Bontempelli makes a late hit on Haynes and fractures his larynx, and cops a fine.

Toby messes up Bontempelli's hair, and gets suspended?

The AFL will have a major credibility problem going down that path.

I know the hair comment is in jest. But I have just gone back to the recording to watch the the incident and the before and after.

After the alleged incident as he gets up and rejoins the play, Bont's hand does not go to feel his eye (as you would if you had any discomfort in your eye), he does not look to talk to any umpires ... just brushes his hair back and trots off after the ball.

Last edited:
Serious question

Do we have a main board mod ? Things are getting Nasty over there

Sadly I think if Greene gets off he may not make it through the finals. Players will be out to get him

I just don't think professional players are that fickle. Bit of over the top aggression happens all the time and players get on with their lives without holding grudges.

Greene will cop it, no doubt... but I don't think any more than he usually would tbh. Unless we were playing the Dogs again next week

According to the Jon Ralph report Christian nearly gave him a 15k fine (3 separate instances of unnecessary contact) but felt it was too much so referred it. Based on evidence they suggest a 1 week suspension which he can appeal.

I agree with General, it comes down to what Bont says, if he adopts player code he probably gets off but if he throws him under than he will get 2 weeks or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back