2019 Ashes XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Well I think we've seen enough to start thinking about what would make up the best XI from this series. Subject to change, I have this as my side:

1. Burns
2. Root
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Stokes
6. Head
7. Bairstow
8. Cummins
9. Lyon
10. Broad
11. Hazlewood

Pretty satisfied with the bowlers, and I don't really see that changing over the remainder of the series unless someone pulls out an amazing match winning performance.

Burns had been scratchy but shown grit and unlikely to lose his spot. No Aussie opener has impressed (bar one innings and great catching from Warner) so I've put Root there for a couple of good innings (lower down, but he can open), esp his underrated effort at Leeds. I think no 2 may still be open if someone wants it.

3 unlikely to change. 4. Smith could make a king pair at the Oval and the spot would still be his.

5&6 fairly easy decisions at this stage. In a real game one might reverse the order but Stokes gets the nod for clearly superior batting this series.

7. Both keepers have been uninspiring save a solid contribution here and there with the bat. I guess Bairstow has batted just a bit better, and both have been a bit below par with the gloves.

Captain and 12th man TBC.

Any thoughts? Most likely changes?

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
An indictment that you could only genuinely make a case to fill 4 of the first 7 positions.
As I said in another thread there are guys that could barely get a test for Australia the early 2000's (Hodge, Love etc amongst quite a few others) that would not only be first choice selections for this series, but would also be amongst the star batting attractions.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
As I said in another thread there are guys that could barely get a test for Australia the early 2000's (Hodge, Love etc amongst quite a few others) that would not only be first choice selections for this series, but would also be amongst the star batting attractions.

Yup

Elliott
MHussey
Di Venuto
Love
Hodge
Law
Bevan

And more!

Like genuinely if any of the openers make a ton at the Oval you have your second opener. Also don't see how you can justify Lyon over Archer given his average of 37 and strike rate of 80. You pick the best 4 bowlers and Archer is better.

Yup

Elliott
MHussey
Di Venuto
Love
Hodge
Law
Bevan

And more!
Not sure about Bevo, given his test record. Also, wouldn't you open with DiVa with Hussey down at 5/6?

Elliott
Di Venuto
Love
Hodge
Hussey
Law
Berry (+)
Bowlers

Though Berry as a keeper is a guess.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Not sure about Bevo, given his test record. Also, wouldn't you open with DiVa with Hussey down at 5/6?

Elliott
Di Venuto
Love
Hodge
Hussey
Law
Berry (+)
Bowlers

Well Huss made most of his pre-test FC runs opening for WA, but agree it would be a squeeze for MdV also.

Berry or Haddin yup

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003

Elliott
Di Venuto
Love
Hodge
Hussey
Law
Berry (+)
Bowlers

Bevan got found out a bit at test level, and that may well have happened to a few of the others. Elliott's record by the end was not too crash hot either. But it's just as possible in weaker era's where they wouldn't have been discarded so quickly, they may have come to terms with test cricket with more chances.

Jamie Cox is another who not only didn't get a run, I don't think he ever really got that close. He's got 18,000 first class runs.

cows

All Australian
Jan 29, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
NQ Cowboys
My combined Ashes XI:

1. Burns
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
6. Stokes
8. Cummins
10. Hazlewood
11. Broad*

*Begrudgingly added Broad since I plan to play my XI here against a 'Best of the Rest' Ashes XI and I'd like to start each bowling innings with the free wicket of Warner - actually *, Warner wouldn't even be in that XI - ah well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How can people pick lyon? Bowled s**t house most of the past 3 tests, offered nothing with the bat or in the field either.

Burns
Denly
Labushchagne
Smith
Stokes
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Archer
Broad
Hazlewood

Very strong team with 2 s**t openers...

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think Denly bradburies the other opening position, they've all been terrible though including Burns who has fluked his way through tons of chances is any innings he scored runs.

beatnik

Grizzled veteran
Jun 27, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mavs, swan districts
Well I think we've seen enough to start thinking about what would make up the best XI from this series. Subject to change, I have this as my side:

1. Burns
2. Root
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Stokes
6. Head
7. Bairstow
8. Cummins
9. Lyon
10. Broad
11. Hazlewood

Pretty satisfied with the bowlers, and I don't really see that changing over the remainder of the series unless someone pulls out an amazing match winning performance.

Burns had been scratchy but shown grit and unlikely to lose his spot. No Aussie opener has impressed (bar one innings and great catching from Warner) so I've put Root there for a couple of good innings (lower down, but he can open), esp his underrated effort at Leeds. I think no 2 may still be open if someone wants it.

3 unlikely to change. 4. Smith could make a king pair at the Oval and the spot would still be his.

5&6 fairly easy decisions at this stage. In a real game one might reverse the order but Stokes gets the nod for clearly superior batting this series.

7. Both keepers have been uninspiring save a solid contribution here and there with the bat. I guess Bairstow has batted just a bit better, and both have been a bit below par with the gloves.

Captain and 12th man TBC.

Any thoughts? Most likely changes?

Looks pretty good but I'd have Paine over Bairstow in a heartbeat...and he'd be captain

I think details of his leadership of the Australian locker room during a tumultous 12 months and through a tough Ashes series will emerge over time and become part of future Baggy Green folklore...he is positive, media-friendly and gracious; he's the cornerstone of our reshaped team culture and has just retained the Ashes as captain

Beyond that, I'd consider moving Head to open; dropping Root; and bringing Wade in at 6

I rate his century that set up the First Test and influenced the tone of the series over Root's scratchy offerings so perhaps Root and Head could be either/or? I'll let you decide ;)

My only question is why you treated the opener position differently to the spinner position? I mean, if we can promote Root to open on a 'best batters' policy; then why can't we do away with the mandatory spinner (Lyon) and follow a 'best bowlers' policy too?

changes in bold:

1. Burns
2. Head
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Stokes
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)

8. Cummins
9. Archer
10. Broad
11. Hazlewood