Injury Naughton's knee

Remove this Banner Ad

Rapt to hear no ACL for Naughton. Seems a lot like Charlie Curnow earlier this year who also feared an ACL but was instead a lateral and bone bruising. 3 months is better than 12 or more.

I was a big fan of Naughton in his draft year and had him No5 on my board. Have followed him closely since his debut and fair to say he is one of my favorite non Carlton players to watch. A real talent.
Ta mate

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very good news, but at the same time, I think there's something for Naughton to learn from this.

He jumps high in the air for his marks, and likes to land on his feet, which is always a bit risky. In the back of my mind I was kind of expecting something like this to happen one day. I hope he starts learning to take more marks on the lead, or in one-on-one strength battles.
Are you kidding? The game is hard enough as it is without thinking about where you are going to land after a mark. Let him do what is natural to him, and that is to run and jump at the ball.

In Repair

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LCL has much better blood supply then the dreaded ACL/PCL so heals faster and stronger even with surgery preserving the integrity of the joint itself (when compared to ACL/PCL)

Unfortunately with knee injuries it’s not only the ligament tear but trauma to the meniscus and articulating cartilage of the joint but that is a longer term issue. I have no doubt the surgeon will do what’s best for Naughton

hamwell

Rookie
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are you kidding? The game is hard enough as it is without thinking about where you are going to land after a mark. Let him do what is natural to him, and that is to run and jump at the ball.
You wouldn't be saying this if he tore his ACL. People like you take knees for granted.

You wouldn't be saying this if he tore his ACL. People like you take knees for granted.

Not feasible at all.

If you're thinking about landing before taking the mark then you'll never take a contested mark.

Sure, if you've clunked it and you think quickly enough you may get a chance to mentally calculate a 'safe' landing, but even then getting buffeted by 100kg men from all angles makes that near on impossible.

By this stage it's complete muscle memory. You effectively 'know' how long you'll be in the air for based on previous experiences...
...one small nudge (as opposed to a big one which will put you on your @rse or head), is all it takes to get the landing a tiny split second out.
Result: This.

Ps. I'm sure you've misjudged a step before...

hamwell

Rookie
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not feasible at all.

If you're thinking about landing before taking the mark then you'll never take a contested mark.

Sure, if you've clunked it and you think quickly enough you may get a chance to mentally calculate a 'safe' landing, but even then getting buffeted by 100kg men from all angles makes that near on impossible.

By this stage it's complete muscle memory. You effectively 'know' how long you'll be in the air for based on previous experiences...
...one small nudge (as opposed to a big one which will put you on your @rse or head), is all it takes to get the landing a tiny split second out.
Result: This.

Ps. I'm sure you've misjudged a step before...
Tom Hawkins used to jump for his marks, but these days he doesn't jump at all. AA this year.

When Naughton played defence, his game was more reading the flight of the ball than anything. Since moving up forward, he's been jumping like a rabbit. It's not impossible to modify your playing style a bit, and after a knee scare that could yet prove problematic long-term, it wouldn't hurt. Yeah, it's easy to say he should keep doing what he's doing since he didn't tear his ACL, but I suspect peoples' tone will be different if it does pop one day after a bad landing, or if he loses his pace the same way Cooney did.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
So with an LCL, is there any potential long term consequences? Like will the knee still be strong? Or will the stability be permanently compromised to the point where he is at a higher risk of blowing his knee out in the future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday Dog

Senior List
Oct 9, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Excited to have Josh Bruce come in to massively help take the heat off our golden child (well, man), and the great thing is he's so clean on the deck. He can leave the absurdly athletic towering marks for when we need them the most.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think from memory when we drafted him someone on this board basically wrote him off because of his posture??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wasn't just one poster, a multi disciplinary full blown medical evaluation and personal cases comparison. Amazing he's still walking nevermind playing AFL

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it is not an ACL I will personally propose to Scrag mid morning Monday
Scrag,

Sorry about the late reply but I was banned from the board for a day by some Carlton Campaigning Mod, another story...

We have been through a lot together - the Western Bulldog Erotic Fiction thread, the Prudden and Gower eras, quite a few discombobulations.

I love your sense of humour, your smile and will even ignore the fact that you weigh 320 pounds.

Will you be my Bigfooty Wife?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back