Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as you don't forget the shambles of a team that was the Bomber's 2010 team that got smashed by the Pies in the prelim. It was a disgrace given the talent present that day, including GAJ at his peak.
Supporters just want more of the same success, who wouldn't, but we should be realistic enough to accept we are never going to replace that list, and each year, we have signed off another career of an immortal.
Shambles of a team? Much the same team that won 2009 and 2011. In 2010 they played well below par against a team on fire. For reasons discussed ad infinitum. I think that is what you mean. Bomber and Ablett leaving cleared the air. And I said, he managed the team well.

Does Danger agree he has an issue? CS thinks he is the best player in the comp. I suspect Danger is happy and in his comfort zone.

He may well be, but perhaps he should've re-considered some time ago...... Probably too late now to effect any significant improvement in his kicking.

And I'm not sure CS would've been the man to drive it anyway.

Danger is a good foot pass from a mark. I can't think he is happy with his passing on the run. It's an abysmal return.
Surely a professional like him does NOT need BF posters or a coach reminding him of that?!
Where does personal acknowledgement and self- improvement fit in?
It did with Dusty.
I'm sure Dimma did not take Dusty by the hand to yoga, pilates and meditation classes.
Paul Couch said that he would practice for hours perfecting his craft, and that he was almost able to will the ball to go where he wanted it to, every time.

He may well be, but perhaps he should've re-considered some time ago...... Probably too late now to effect any significant improvement in his kicking.

And I'm not sure CS would've been the man to drive it anyway.
Nor should he be. Where does the individual player fit into this ?

Surely a professional like him does NOT need BF posters or a coach reminding him of that?!
It did with Dusty.
I'm sure Dimma did not take Dusty by the hand to yoga, pilates and meditation classes.
Paul Couch said that he would practice for hours perfecting his craft, and that he was almost able to will the ball to go where he wanted it to, every time.
You have a point.

I will remind him of it tomorrow. ;)

Shambles of a team? Much the same team that won 2009 and 2011. In 2010 they played well below par against a team on fire. For reasons discussed ad infinitum. I think that is what you mean. Bomber and Ablett leaving cleared the air. And I said, he managed the team well.
Those reasons ...
Geelong was described as too old, too slow after that final, and then GAJ walked.
We don't need to rehash the 11 GF story, but 2011 will probably see me out as the single most dominant and brilliant season I've ever witnessed as a Cats fan. Pies and Hawks 3-0 at the G!, finals included.
The players that year , including the very critical and scathing Matty Scarlett, and the amazing Boris Enright, heaped praise on CS to get the job done. interesting that they are both assistants to this impersonator of a coach we have.

Nor should he be. Where does the individual player fit into this ?

Maybe an individual can be humble enough to admit a deficiency and willingly undertake extra work to rectify it for the benefit of the team?

Maybe a coach can demand an individual work on a deficiency, and provide the necessary resources to make it happen? Like Constable for example.

Maybe an individual can be humble enough to admit a deficiency and willingly undertake extra work to rectify it for the benefit of the team?

Maybe a coach can demand an individual work on a deficiency, and provide the necessary resources to make it happen? Like Constable for example.
CC has been told of his deficiencies and is a work in progress, we are told.
Danger, superstar, dad, ambassador, player rep-- I don't think he has the desire. He is an amazing player, and his kicking on the run is so variable. We can only hope.

You'd think. But the entire squad is lacking in skills like this. I recall the Bulldogs really worked on their foot passings skills a while back, and it really showed.
Our kicking for goals and skills early this year were remarked upon nearly every week. It was suspected that the off-season training had paid dividends. But as the season progressed, the pressure lifted from better teams, the old habits resurface.

Why would they think the members would tolerate this? Even a fairly placid supporter such as myself has had it with the finals garbage of the last few years. They will suffer financially as we won't be paying for Melbourne games and the guaranteed GF seats next year.
Dunno mate, but generally I think average joe/Josephine and other casuals want to be sold a crack at finals, rather than a rebuild. I grew up in Adelaide and that’s very much the thinking at the Crows. I now live in Sydney and it’s a similar thing at the Swans

Dunno mate, but generally I think average joe/Josephine and other casuals want to be sold a crack at finals, rather than a rebuild. I grew up in Adelaide and that’s very much the thinking at the Crows. I now live in Sydney and it’s a similar thing at the Swans
Don’t actually agree. You spend 85% of the season watching H&A games. I go to KP with my kids and it’s about the experience of it all with them. Winning and losing barely registers. There are thousands of families like us that buy memberships and go every week. We would do so regardless of making finals, let alone winning them.

I actually think the people who would stop following (in a financial sense) Geelong because of finals record would be quite the outliers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our kicking for goals and skills early this year were remarked upon nearly every week. It was suspected that the off-season training had paid dividends. But as the season progressed, the pressure lifted from better teams, the old habits resurface.
Our kicking for goal improved. I think some players coming in, and Ablett's I50's made our foot passing look good. We still had the usual suspects butchering the ball, even when we were were looking sharp.

We looked tired late in the season. I can remember Collingwood also going stale late in 2011. Maybe that manic forward pressure we had earlier on took its toll?

It did with Dusty.
As a kid we had our little league trophy night at Cats training.
One of the trainers got us to watch Couchy after training. He spent half an hour kicking to himself on both feet.
He said he did it every single training session.
Can players do that stuff now? With all the sports science and recovery stuff and all that?

Don’t actually agree. You spend 85% of the season watching H&A games. I go to KP with my kids and it’s about the experience of it all with them. Winning and losing barely registers. There are thousands of families like us that buy memberships and go every week. We would do so regardless of making finals, let alone winning them.

I actually think the people who would stop following (in a financial sense) Geelong because of finals record would be quite the outliers.
True. Plus the last rebuild was really good fun for the most part.
Maybe it is to do with being relevant and getting prime time TV spots for sponsors etc

I’d hope so too. I was just trying to put myself in the shoes of the corporate types sitting around a board room table.

True. Plus the last rebuild was really good fun for the most part.
Maybe it is to do with being relevant and getting prime time TV spots for sponsors etc
Agree. The last rebuild was so much fun to follow. It felt so much more organic than it does now. Probably helps that I was a lot younger then too

Fans dont stop following just because the club is not winning. They do however stop following if the style of game is deliberately boring

Agree. The last rebuild was so much fun to follow. It felt so much more organic than it does now. Probably helps that I was a lot younger then too
Yeah it was great. A couple of father sons probably made it a bit more enjoyable too.
Remember how crazy it was when we got Ottens? Haha.
Now we get players every year.
It was kinda cool having St Kilda doing it the same time as us too. But we came out on top.

It does, doesn't it? My definition would be he is just as concerned with football as a business and his career and how to make that work. Rather than a dedicated coach with a burning desire to build a premiership group. Scott has never bet the farm on a group of players. He swaps and changes and brings in fresh talent, but its never settled. We have never been settled under Scott. He seems content getting a lot of H&A wins.

I know he is a premiership coach, but I'm less impressed with that title for him as each season goes by. The initial negative was that he handled the team well, but really just got a free premiership ride from Bomber's team. That is looking like a more and more accurate assessment as time goes by.
Everyone from the players to the CEO is concerned with football as their career. I have no doubt that Scott has a burning desire to win a premiership, that is every coaches wish, and for Scott to win another would be to his own credit as opposed to the team he inherited from Bomber. The team has been settled at various times when it is winning and injuries are few. He has been criticised here for not dropping players and sticking to the same faces, then he is criticised for swapping, changing and bringing in fresh talent. When Geelong played 6 players together including 4 debutantes in round one, he was declared brilliant, now when we lose he is criticised for it!

You are entitled to your opinion, although I have never met him, he gives me the impression that he is not satisfied with H&A wins and dearly wants a flag.

The issue of his role in 2011 has nothing to do with the current situation. I cannot understand what fresh evidence there may be that supports the claim that 'the players coached themselves' in 2011. If it is suggested that currently the players are 'coaching themselves', ergo that indicates they were operating that way in 2011, then clearly they are not doing a very good job of it at the moment.

Untrue- as in false, a lie, or just not proven , yet?
And you were not accused of not watching- just confirming you did.
4/4 was not difficult this week.
The reason I selected GWS this week (imo, the only ?? game) was not necessarily great faith in them, but I could really not imagine the opposite result, and the ramifications. And they beat us when we were flying , away.

Untrue as in false. Such as a team being no hope, another team being a dead cert or a scoreline being flattering because it doesn't align with your headcanon of where we are at.

It's very cute to say that it was easy to tip in hindsight, but there was an upset and two definite coin flips. Even as things are not much has to change and those results could have gone the other way... instead we are now in a series with a very interesting bracket (Collingwood, GWS, Brisbane) that not long ago would have been seen as absolute crazy talk. And the chaos will not stop here (nor should there be any thoughts around it saving us).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back