Toast What banter pissed off the opposition supporters during an AFL game?

Remove this Banner Ad

My best and worst were the same calls that I was making at a Hawks Cats game during the Kennett curse era. These two middleaged female Geelong supporters behind me cheered a Geelong goal before it went through the posts. It missed, and they kept cheering it as "almost". So for every Geelong miss afterwards I cheered for an "almost goal". Then we lost by 5 points in heartbreaking fashion so it backfired immediately.

Another time at a Hawks Pies game my friend yelled out after a Collingwood goal: "look at you! Clapping like a bunch of trained seals", then he imitated them in the manner of a disabled person. That was just hilarious. Everybody in the immediate vicinity went silent and death stared him, including Hawthorn supporters.

Not at the game but back in 2007 on the train in to a Hawks Blues game I told my friend who cares if Buddy is out, we will win by 100. Carlton had been in decent form before the game and the media had been talking them up. My friend was angry because I had jinxed us with my mindless drunken blather. Final score was 180 to 80, completely derailed their season as well.

Not banter, but at a Hawks Tigers game we were sitting right up the back and there was this Tiger supporter losing his s**t, about 20 rows in front of us. My friend threw a chip at him and it hit him in the face. Then we won by 2 goals. This guy was livid.
You're my hero

My favourite was offering a high five to a rando Essendon supporter after a Geelong goal. He almost went for it too.

Another that I learned on these forums is yelling out "HE'S BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY!!!" after the very first tackle of the match. I did it at Cats v Dogs at Etihad this year and got some good laughs

Another time at a Hawks Pies game my friend yelled out after a Collingwood goal: "look at you! Clapping like a bunch of trained seals", then he imitated them in the manner of a disabled person. That was just hilarious. Everybody in the immediate vicinity went silent and death stared him, including Hawthorn supporters.
disability trolling. big brain time

My best and worst were the same calls that I was making at a Hawks Cats game during the Kennett curse era. These two middleaged female Geelong supporters behind me cheered a Geelong goal before it went through the posts. It missed, and they kept cheering it as "almost". So for every Geelong miss afterwards I cheered for an "almost goal". Then we lost by 5 points in heartbreaking fashion so it backfired immediately.

Not at the game but back in 2007 on the train in to a Hawks Blues game I told my friend who cares if Buddy is out, we will win by 100. Carlton had been in decent form before the game and the media had been talking them up. My friend was angry because I had jinxed us with my mindless drunken blather. Final score was 180 to 80, completely derailed their season as well.

Not banter, but at a Hawks Tigers game we were sitting right up the back and there was this Tiger supporter losing his s**t, about 20 rows in front of us. My friend threw a chip at him and it hit him in the face. Then we won by 2 goals. This guy was livid.

Banter? More like a campaigner.....

Shame on anyone that booed a champion.
A champion that in his old age now who's getting obviously a bit frustrated that hes not as quick as he used to be throwing out the cheapies behind the play and going for the man not the ball anymore

But hey, its probably human nature to do that so cant blame him. He is human after all, not jesus last time i checked

Somehow I was sitting by myself in the Carlton members the night Jack Silvagni debuted against the pies. I think it was his first kick, directly in front, 20m out and he missed, well I let out a massive roar and a laugh and almost got my head taken off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a lot of opposition supporters at Eagles home games to upset.I can understand that visiting team supporters find it a bit intimidating when 95% of the crowd are Eagles barrackers.But you really got to remember that the best booers are eight year old girls and their grandparents most of the time.
A few incidents that got under the skin of the visitors -1 Eagles were smashing Geelong we had a run on and Tom Hawkins responded by leaping for a mark and knocking himself unconcious.The Geelong medicos then took an eternity to get him of the ground 10+ minutes.It seemed like time wasting,it probably was and the calls of hes dead just drag him off.Hes dead stop wasting time ya campaigners upset a few Geelongians.2- Graham Polack making his comeback after walking in front of a tram in Melbourne,calling out ding,ding,ding,ding look out ya idiot upset a few Richmond supporters and they retorted with mate not funny.

A few incidents that got under the skin of the visitors -1 Eagles were smashing Geelong we had a run on and Tom Hawkins responded by leaping for a mark and knocking himself unconcious.The Geelong medicos then took an eternity to get him of the ground 10+ minutes.It seemed like time wasting,it probably was and the calls of hes dead just drag him off.Hes dead stop wasting time ya campaigners upset a few Geelongians.

This would be the game that Geelong was leading by two goals at the time, Hawkins went down in time on of the first and the Eagles ultimately won by less than a kick? The WTF deliberate out of bounds game, where practically every out of bounds for the entire game seemed to be called deliberate?

If so, not only was Geelong leading at the time, the Cats had kicked four of the last five goals.

My uncle yelled out "Hey Robinson you aren't good at football" while at the Gabba this year. He woke up in the emergency ward.

Not a lot of opposition supporters at Eagles home games to upset.I can understand that visiting team supporters find it a bit intimidating when 95% of the crowd are Eagles barrackers.But you really got to remember that the best booers are eight year old girls and their grandparents most of the time.
A few incidents that got under the skin of the visitors -1 Eagles were smashing Geelong we had a run on and Tom Hawkins responded by leaping for a mark and knocking himself unconcious.The Geelong medicos then took an eternity to get him of the ground 10+ minutes.It seemed like time wasting,it probably was and the calls of hes dead just drag him off.Hes dead stop wasting time ya campaigners upset a few Geelongians.2- Graham Polack making his comeback after walking in front of a tram in Melbourne,calling out ding,ding,ding,ding look out ya idiot upset a few Richmond supporters and they retorted with mate not funny.
Looks like those tiger supporters were right

Back in the 80's at Moorabbin when Derm #23 was close to the boundary ...
I politely but firmly enquired what he had done with the Beaumont kids.
I got much raucous laughter and we had a good day.

At Victoria Park a few years ago when Josh Daicos was in his first year. Had a shot from the boundary line and completely shanked it. My mate who was wearing his bombers scarf (bombers weren't playing) sipping on a beer can while wearing his Ray Bans yelled out " your old man would have kicked that ".

Yeah we got some funny looks and a few comments directed our way

At Victoria Park a few years ago when Josh Daicos was in his first year. Had a shot from the boundary line and completely shanked it. My mate who was wearing his bombers scarf (bombers weren't playing) sipping on a beer can while wearing his Ray Bans yelled out " your old man would have kicked that ".

Yeah we got some funny looks and a few comments directed our way

How did he smell that day? What colour were his shoes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back