2019 Trade thread

My understanding is what you see is what you get with Hipwood and that ain’t gonna change much regardless of weights and protein powder. He’s a lead up forward, will never be one on one - we need someone to teach him how to do that properly.

Somebody better tell him he is a lead up forward!!! Not much leading going on from him last night

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Somebody better tell him he is a lead up forward!!! Not much leading going on from him last night

Yeah seems McStay is playing that lead up forward role more than Hipwood, issue being he can’t kick for s**t. Hipwood not leading and getting bumped off to easily, but he can kick. Wish we could have one player and take half of McStay and half of Hipwood.

Therokofjabroni

Draftee
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Hippy isn’t he issue - his role will never be a full forward goal square target. He needs to lead up and spend time running up and down the wings. We need to replace Mcstay ASAP the narrative of bringing the ball to ground is all that he needs to do is mind boggling. We need a forward who can mark the ball and actually kick straight - unfortunately that’s not Dan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We should be targeting Dan Butler from the tigers he is un-contracted and we would be able to get him for a pick between 35-50. We still lack pace and have no depth for pressure fwds, he would be a nice little bargain pickup.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hippy isn’t he issue - his role will never be a full forward goal square target. He needs to lead up and spend time running up and down the wings. We need to replace Mcstay ASAP the narrative of bringing the ball to ground is all that he needs to do is mind boggling. We need a forward who can mark the ball and actually kick straight - unfortunately that’s not Dan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree, seems his KPI's are to bring the ball to ground. Shouldn't that be non-negotiable for all KPF's? If they don't marlk, don't allow opposition player to mark it.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We should be targeting Dan Butler from the tigers he is un-contracted and we would be able to get him for a pick between 35-50. We still lack pace and have no depth for pressure fwds, he would be a nice little bargain pickup.
Im with you there, would be a great get. Would bring insight into the tigers system as well. Would compliment and pretty much complete our sm fwd needs. He would leapfrog squizzy and could easily be best 22. More midfield minutes for rayner. Big upside to the team.
I see Ah Chee developing onto a wing, some outside mid work. Good pace, good mark. Long term contributer.
As much as i love mitch robbo he cant last forever. Its obvious how much taller the lads stand when he plays. Looking to the future, should we have a go at sam powel pepper. He seems out of favor so shouldnt take much. We could certainly use another hard man in the team, i can see clug appreciating some back up for many yrs to come. He could offer the same utility as mitch robbo as well, wing/mid, maybe halfback. Im sure we could sort out any character and game issues he may be having. Id love to have him.
Butler, Ah Chee, Powel Pepper, none should break the bank cash or trade wise. All could be best 22, all a good age. And our A grade smokey this year, Rory Laird. Id be very happy with that lot for xmas thank you.
Dont think we need rush in at a mature ruckman, should a long term injury happen to steph, O, or even smith, pre season or early in the season. Theres opportunity now to top up. Always a zac clarke, billy longer, zac smith or someone about. Id like to draft a ruckman this year anyway. Luke Jackson looks a good one, should be in draft range. Have him develop with our next gen mids.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont think we will hit the shops for a tall fwd this year either. Fagan seems happy game plan wise with the way he uses hipwood, mcstay and the big O. I do think that if we traded in players like butler, ah chee, powel pepper, laird and the team improves again but just misses out, i think then we will see us have go at a good big man up fwd. Another preseason in the gym for wooller, fullarton, ballenden, some bigger bodies and they may get a shot. No rush yet.

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont think we will hit the shops for a tall fwd this year either. Fagan seems happy game plan wise with the way he uses hipwood, mcstay and the big O. I do think that if we traded in players like butler, ah chee, powel pepper, laird and the team improves again but just misses out, i think then we will see us have go at a good big man up fwd. Another preseason in the gym for wooller, fullarton, ballenden, some bigger bodies and they may get a shot. No rush yet.

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwood & McStay are still young. Give them so more time to develop as key forwards. If anything, ensure Jonathan Brown or additional coaching expertise at this position is the priority.

If you compare to Reidwoldt, he was the same when he was early 20s, and its only the last 4-5 years he has been solid.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Hipwood & McStay are still young. Give them so more time to develop as key forwards. If anything, ensure Jonathan Brown or additional coaching expertise at this position is the priority.

If you compare to Reidwoldt, he was the same when he was early 20s, and its only the last 4-5 years he has been solid.

Riewoldt kicked 78 goals in his 4th season, after less games than Hipwood. Eric has served his apprenticeship after this season, really needs to deliver next year IMO.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

McStay is 24 now, the youth excuse isn't going to hold up after this season.

Riewoldt kicked 78 goals in his 4th season, after less games than Hipwood. Eric has served his apprenticeship after this season, really needs to deliver next year IMO.

I'm not convinced that singling out an early developer (pick 1 as well) is a great comparison for anyone. It's like the opposite posts saying the stereotypical late bloomer is Tom Hawkins at 24, so Hipwood has plenty of time. Chances are he falls somewhere in the middle, not condemned because he can't match the guys quick off the block or lauded because he's been better than those taking longer.

McStay is 24 now, the youth excuse isn't going to hold up after this season.

OTOH McStay probably is what he is.

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay has improved alot this year. Half the problem is not the forwards, but the way its getting bombed in. Lions midfielders need more cohesion, they just bomb it in and pray and hope. There was no real system on the weekend. This is not isolated to the Talls, its the small forwards also, they lack a real system that connects to the midfielders and create space. I suspect 14 players playing their first final is most of the issue, too rushed and perceived pressure.

I am not really sure a forward coming into the game 20 yrs ago can be compared to a forward coming into the game 4-5 yrs ago?
The game is a completely different beast to what it was then, defences are so much better organised, forward lines are much more congested and forwards were kicking close to 100 goals a year back then.
These days the Coleman medalist is lucky to kick 60-70 goals a year.
A better comparison are the forwards drafted in the last 5 to 10 years.
Tom Lynch, Joe Daniher, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Boyd, Paddy McCartin, Joshua Schache, Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Harry Himmelberg, Jesse Hogan, J Patten, O’Brien from the Hawks, Sam Day, Peter Wright.
I could add to the list and IMO Hippy stands up to and or is better than most.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay has improved alot this year. Half the problem is not the forwards, but the way its getting bombed in. Lions midfielders need more cohesion, they just bomb it in and pray and hope. There was no real system on the weekend. This is not isolated to the Talls, its the small forwards also, they lack a real system that connects to the midfielders and create space. I suspect 14 players playing their first final is most of the issue, too rushed and perceived pressure.
McStay's issues are much greater than just on Saturday. In fact I'd say Saturday was one of his better games. Sure, he can attack a contested ball but I want my full forward doing more than just that. I think we need a better tall forward than him if we want to win a premiership.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not convinced that singling out an early developer (pick 1 as well) is a great comparison for anyone.
I am not really sure a forward coming into the game 20 yrs ago can be compared to a forward coming into the game 4-5 yrs ago?
The game is a completely different beast to what it was then, defences are so much better organised, forward lines are much more congested and forwards were kicking close to 100 goals a year back then.
I thought we were talking about Jack Riewoldt, not Nick Riewoldt.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides

Yep, McStay played well...I like his defensive work...I don't mind the old bomb it in. If the talls get to the contest and bring it to ground, to let our small forwards, Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner do their work (we also have our mids streaming forward).. We look dangerous and exciting when it happens and Saturday 1st Quarter, we didn't make the most of our opportunities...After quarter time the tigers had us covered and were able to block our talls and our smalls were also covered at the fall of the ball.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He has still had 13 yrs in the game!
There is no comparison.
There is every comparison. Riewoldt's 4th season was within the last decade, his 78 won the Coleman that year. Leading goalkickers by that point were kicking 70 a year except for Buddy's freak 2008 season. And they're still around that range today.

Out of the names you mentioned, Jeremy Cameron hit 60 goals twice in his first four seasons. Daniher, Lynch and Hogan had all hit 40 within their first four years. The rest of them are either busts or players we'd hope Hipwood is much better than. I don't think he's going badly, but I'd like to see him take the next step.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Although people go on we have 3 talls, Hippy is not a key forward he is a tall forward flanker.

McStay and Big O main job is contest. which is great if they can out mark or bring it to the ground.
Against a team like the Tigers who have 3-4 players who can pick off bombs into forward 50 we get caught out.
I still like a big man who can actually compete, but also can take a mark and kick a goal call me old fashion.
Riewoldt and Lynch can do both.
Darling and Kennedy can do both.
Cameron and Himmelberg GWS as well

Getting Cameron one out against some defenders worked for us.
Tigers will drop 2-3 back fill all the holes. Grimes is first rate..

I would not say no to a true tall forward in.
Not sure we get much more out of both McStay and Hippy. We keep hoping year after year.
Yes they will although how much more? Are what they are and we just live with it
If we replaced McStay or Hippy with say someone like Naughton our forward line be a lot different.
will it be better or not

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B64C4D74-ED52-4AD1-AA1D-25D73034BE97.jpeg

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
These days the Coleman medalist is lucky to kick 60-70 goals a year.
A better comparison are the forwards drafted in the last 5 to 10 years.
Tom Lynch, Joe Daniher, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Boyd, Paddy McCartin, Joshua Schache, Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Harry Himmelberg, Jesse Hogan, J Patten, O’Brien from the Hawks, Sam Day, Peter Wright.
I could add to the list and IMO Hippy stands up to and or is better than most.

Jack, not Nick.

Back