2nds 2019 Finals – SF v Poor Little SA Richmond (Preview/Gameday/Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
More than anything I love that this group look like they care.

One of the main reasons we lost in 2017 was because Dougal Howard was back in the SANFL after the AFL team finished the season and 100% looked like he didn't want to be there and played like he wasn't there.

When I see Marshall ecstatic to be kicking goals, even in the reserves, it warms my heart.

They're a likeable group too, and it's great that they seem to get on so well with each other. You'd love to think that an SANFL premiership would springboard a great culture of excellence and winning among a group of players who will be key to our long-term AFL fortunes (Marshall, Ladhams, Hayes, Garner, Drew and whoever else from this group is up for the ride).

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And another thing, I hope that some of our mediocre AFL players see what it takes to play clutch football in big moments. The Frampton-Marshall play, the Cox mark and goal (enormous for a player who has had the yips so badly). Garner and McKenzie's overall calmness and toughness in defence. Hayes' outstanding leadership in the ruck and Ladhams' cleanness around the ground.

I really do see so much more leadership and maturity in the likes of Garner and Hayes (along with Houston and Duursma) than in virtually every one of our experienced AFL players who are so tarnished with accepting mediocrity and tripping over their own feet.

Yesterday was the most I've enjoyed a football game in ages. No conflict. No secretly thinking 'well at least now we're closer to sacking Ken' every time we screw up. No players who don't deserve to be playing at the level they're at and who are holding back a young player's development. No watching a midget forward line get intercept marked on time and time again (sidenote, it's utterly ridiculous that not one but both of Marshall and Frampton are even eligible for SANFL finals, especially considering how much football Dixon missed this year). Just a bunch of talented young kids guided by a few experienced hands standing up when it counts and delivering an important win. Yesterday was what football is all about, so much more so than watching Ken Hinkley's Power.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On paper they may not be as good as the 14 and 17 sides but definitely look hungrier and that it would mean a lot to them to win.

I felt like Glenelg brought a fair bit of heat but we were definitely up for the fight.

The 2014 and 2017 GF's we started poorly in both as we probably weren't up for the fight from the get go so we would have to come out firing this time around.

2017 should've definitely been a victory but having your Ken Farmer medalist do literally nothing but make mistakes was the key difference.

On paper they may not be as good as the 14 and 17 sides but definitely look hungrier and that it would mean a lot to them to win.

I felt like Glenelg brought a fair bit of heat but we were definitely up for the fight.

The 2014 and 2017 GF's we started poorly in both as we probably weren't up for the fight from the get go so we would have to come out firing this time around.

2017 should've definitely been a victory but having your Ken Farmer medalist do literally nothing but make mistakes was the key difference.
Also Logan Austin had a stinker of a 2017 and was just about worst on ground in the grand final vs Sturt. McKenzie in the same role has been very important in 2019.

When was there ever 48,000 ppl at Unley smoking Craven A's Penbo?

The News Ltd. toff nostalgin’ for a time when racism, homophobia and sexism was rife. You couldn’t take a piss or a dump, and fights would break out if you looked at someone the wrong way because everyone had their brains addled by lead paint and petrol.

Standard.

Was good to see Jack Watts watching the game in the bottom level of the Western Stand. Had a big smile on his face after the game and a few supporters coming up to him giving him a pat on the back.

So what did Frampton and AJ do that will come under scrutiny?
Didn't see what Johnson did, but Frampton inside 50 may have elbowed a guy in the head instead of going for the ball.

Bryce Gibbs didn't even get a fine when he gave Strange a concussion several weeks back for a similar thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was good to see Jack Watts watching the game in the bottom level of the Western Stand. Had a big smile on his face after the game and a few supporters coming up to him giving him a pat on the back.
Is Watts any chance of playing the gf?

I saw the Johnson thing. Was a late bump to the body after disposal on a Glenelg player who got straight back up probably a bit sore but completely uninjured. It was a lesser version of that Charlie Cameron hit on Houston in the 2017 Showdown. Downfield free kick and nothing more, suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.

Frampton on the other hand might be in a bit of trouble. Especially considering the organisation that we're dealing with here.

Last edited:
Frampton and Johnson will be suspended. I don't know why anyone would believe otherwise. Do you forget who we are dealing with?

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
Working in India again this week, saw the scores when I got off the plane but only had a chance to watch the highlights now.
Some good goals by both teams.
I know the SANFL is very much second rate now but there is still something about watching football without all the associated AFL crap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Frampton has been pretty average the last two weeks, it is reminding me a bit of Brett Eddy in 2017. Makes me think he might be leaving the club.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Billy-Elliot-the-Musical-Jamie-Rogers-River-Mardesic-Omar-Abiad-and-Wade-Neilsen-photo-by-Jame...jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back