Opinion Should Geelong v West Coast be played at GMHBA Stadium next week?

Should the Gee v WCE final be played at GMHBA Stadium?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it is, although i find it makes some sort of consistency out of it. Def the $$$ are calling the shots

Gill doesn't get a bonus if he doesn't meet his KPI's remember, as with most organisations its up to the boss to ensure this happens and he wins financially from it

Whether its playing blockbusters like Anzac day or Finals suiting returns, cant see Richmond and Collingwood playing in china, can you?

Outside of a 5 year window (2007-2011) Geelong has historically struggled to win matches against the best teams at the MCG over the last 30 years, with Grand Final losses to Hawthorn (1989 & 2008), West Coast (1992 & 1994), Carlton (1995) and a slew of Preliminary Final losses at the MCG.

The 2007-2011 team were the exception to this. They would have (and did) beaten any team on any ground on any day. If Geelong needs a team as good as that to win a premiership, they may be waiting another 50 years!

Geelong's massive home ground advantage means they are almost always in contention to make finals, however once GMHBA no longer becomes a suitable venue in September the Cats become sitting ducks on the wide expanse of the MCG. It seems like the two grounds are just too different to have a game plan which works on both grounds.

Given that the AFL seems reluctant to play finals there anytime in the near future, should Geelong pack up shop and play all their home games at MCG in pursuit of their next premiership?

Good teams win at any ground/venue. Hawkins missed sodas on Friday night, was that the MCGs fault?

Width of the ground impacts mostly on

a) Forwards ability to kick from the pocket
b) A team's ability to defend in their back half.

We used to have terrible kicking accuracy at the G prior to Optus. There is no doubt in my mind that a wider home ground allowed us to play the G better.

The idea that Good teams win at any venue is a stupid one. How many GF's do you think Essendon would have if GF was played at KP or Subi? Of course ground diimensions play a huge role

Good teams win at any ground/venue. Hawkins missed sodas on Friday night, was that the MCGs fault?

Do you believe that Hawthorn would have won all four flags if 2008 was at Kardinia Park, 2013 at Subi, 2014 at the SCG, and 2015 at Subi again?

Judging by Ticketek's performance this morning I'm tipping there'll be plenty more than 30k there on Friday.

Imagine Ticketek being s**t on a major ticket sale day, who could ever have predicted? :rolleyes:

Given that the AFL seems reluctant to play finals there anytime in the near future, should Geelong pack up shop and play all their home games at MCG in pursuit of their next premiership?
No, that's a terrible idea. They're not a Melbourne team.

Although... if the federally funded fast rail link comes through with the speeds they promised (doubtful), then it'll only be 30 minutes from Geelong to Southern Cross. With a commute that quick, I can see them playing a couple more blockbuster games there.

Subjectively and given the circumstances: No! it definitely shouldn't as the AFL have set the precedent and stated the Cats must host finals at the MCG, and they can't expect to apply different rules based on which opponents the Cats have.

Objectively and in the grand scheme of things:
Yes! It should be, but all Geelong home finals should be held there. The argument of Big crowds is stupid when you consider the Giants host games at their 24,000 capacity venue. Say if GWS drew a home final against Collingwood or Essendon, then the same people saying the Cats should always play home finals at the G must also surely state that the Giants host finals at the SCG because it can fit more people.
In a perfect world a team who earns the right to host a final should be able to chose where that game is regardless of capacity.
Obviously though the AFL loves their money too much to ever let that happen for Geelong.

Subjectively and given the circumstances: No! it definitely shouldn't as the AFL have set the precedent and stated the Cats must host finals at the MCG, and they can't expect to apply different rules based on which opponents the Cats have.

Objectively and in the grand scheme of things:
Yes! It should be, but all Geelong home finals should be held there. The argument of Big crowds is stupid when you consider the Giants host games at their 24,000 capacity venue. Say if GWS drew a home final against Collingwood or Essendon, then the same people saying the Cats should always play home finals at the G must also surely state that the Giants host finals at the SCG because it can fit more people.
In a perfect world a team who earns the right to host a final should be able to chose where that game is regardless of capacity.
Obviously though the AFL loves their money too much to ever let that happen for Geelong.

Gill needs is bonus too much to worry about any team in the AFL

I got tickets to the game today at 35 bucks on level 1 using my Vic eagle membership, would not even got close to getting a ticket at Geelong, can't even get one in the home and away season, the club does not even bother to make it part of our membership anymore due to limited space at Geelong.
You would have easily got one at Kardinia Park because for finals the AFL takes over and they do a proper allocation to the away team. Many thousands would have been set aside for Eagles. In 2013 every Freo member who wanted one got one and the remaining unused Freo allocation was sold to the public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong's massive home ground advantage means they are almost always in contention to make finals, however once GMHBA no longer becomes a suitable venue in September the Cats become sitting ducks on the wide expanse of the MCG. It seems like the two grounds are just too different to have a game plan which works on both grounds.

You know we still have to beat them on Friday? They haven't lost yet.

Estimated 55k and probably less if it rains

I think the weather fines up on Thursday. Not being cheeky, but, there's no excuse not to get 60k plus.

You know we still have to beat them on Friday? They haven't lost yet.

Wait... I’m not trying to be smug and say that we have this is the bag. Expecting a tough tight match.

Whatever happens on Friday doesn’t change the fact that Geelong has a record of recent finals at the MCG in particular which is far poorer than their home and away records suggest they should.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do you believe that Hawthorn would have won all four flags if 2008 was at Kardinia Park, 2013 at Subi, 2014 at the SCG, and 2015 at Subi again?
Maybe, we won our prior game at Kardinia, we won at Subi both those years and I think we would have won 2012 at the SCG or ANZ too because we have a great record up there, we beat them there just a few weeks earlier.

We got less than 60k (59,455 to be exact) to the 2011 PF.

I think we should get 60k, but I won't say we will.

Your crowd is your 19th man so to speak. There's not many tipping you guys to win. These are the games you want to turn up and not miss. Because in reality there's no reason why you can't win.

I think there will be plenty of Eagles fans coming over, so many will have missed out on the GF last year and the opportunity to see a Semi at the MCG against the cats will appeal to many.

Your crowd is your 19th man so to speak. There's not many tipping you guys to win. These are the games you want to turn up and not miss. Because in reality there's no reason why you can't win.

I don't understand why we are favourites. Cannot recall the last time we were favourites for an away final. People already writing off Geelong, the side that finished minor premiers just two weeks ago.

Would I be correct in assuming the only other times Geelong v West Coast have played at the MCG was the 92/94 GFs?

They played in the 2011 prelim there.

We lost by about 8 goals I think, was notable as we were wooden spooners the year before so perceived as a quick rebound from bottoming out (circumstances would later prove it was a dead cat bounce).

Back