Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the replay, having been at the ground. I was a bit surprised watching it back we were a bit better than I thought on the night. Collingwood were certainly harder at it across the board and had more contribution from more players, but I wonder how things would have gone had Miers, Hawkins and Rohan kicked those sitters. It would be difficult to see Kolo play worse, or have that many incidents leading to goals.

Ablett really let himself down with Maynard in the 2nd quarter, a couple of poor efforts and lack of chasing. And Gaz fumbled for most of the night too.

Danger was better than I thought watching back too, it was a great performance from him, bar a couple of poor kicks, but without him we would have been miles off it. Selwood wasn’t as bad as some are saying.

I’m feeling a bit better about our prospects on Friday. I’d love us to get a crack at Richmond.

He wasn't on his Pat Malone, particularly in the first quarter when the damage was done.

Bews our "premier" stopper was hauled over the coals again. Unsurprisingly Elliot thrived in his match up with Jed and helped himself to two goals in the first quarter. Elliot ended up with 18 disposals (Jed had 8) and was the Pies most damaging forward.

Last edited:
I agree mate. Stanley is a big strong man, he would have at the very least smashed a few of their mids in tackles and be less easy to shift when in the ruck.

The Cats were too confident and almost blasé. Danger and the Coach seemed to personify this to me. For me, the attitude required to win finals is NOT confidence. It is desperation. Well, now they have fear and desperation as a motivator.
Stanley may have kicked a goal or two 😉

could be a master plan
no more problems with bye
when we get to the GF against the Pies, they will come up against Stanley so they might be unprepared

anyway, if we can not defeat WC then we are plainly not good enough

Was telling listening to K-Rock pre-game last night and they interviewed Collingwood assistant coach Justin Longmuir just after it was confirmed Stanley was a late omission. When they asked him if he was surprised, he said he wasn't surprised we had made a late change, but was staggered it was Stanley as he admitted Stanley had probably taken the honours against Grundy when we played in Round 1. I bet the coaching staff in the Pies rooms were doing high fives as soon as that news filtered through.

Another thing I just can't understand is why we persevere with this slow, kick long down the line crap coming from half back. We have arguably the best 1-on-1 forward in the competition in Hawkins standing in the goal square waiting for the ball to come down and watching all the space in front of him fill up with opposition players. We could have players like Dunstall or Plugger playing down there and they wouldn't get a kick because our delivery into our forward line is utterly crap at the moment. Then on the rare occasion we actually do get a 1-on-1 forward, invariably the kick is either too high and slow and allows the defender to halve the contest, or it isn't kicked to the advantage of the forward and either lands in front of him or too far wide of him.

Scratched my head at how many times we would have more than one player get sucked into the contest and allow free Pies players at the fall of the ball. The goal the Pies got in the first quarter where Kolo ran into a contest where we were already outnumbering our opponents and watched as the ball spilt free and went over his head to two loose Pies players at the top of the goal square was a prime example of that. And don't get me started on how many times we spoilt each other in the contest too. Worst thing was most of the time it was senior players who should know better doing it as well.

In retrospect, the last quarter come back was probably the worst thing that could happen, as it was merely us wallpapering over the cracks, and last night it seemed those cracks were getting wider.

NAILED IT!!! BRILLIANT!!!

(Yes, I am shouting )

V
Clark + Constable. Not sure where Clark is with his injury? Did he play VFL?
He played in our vfl final which was over the bye weekend - he struggled with his elbow and had minimal impact.

Not sure we'll be seeing him again this season

V

He played in our vfl final which was over the bye weekend - he struggled with his elbow and had minimal impact.

Not sure we'll be seeing him again this season
Thanks cats09. That’s disappointing, I liked Clark this Season.

So after accusing me of not watching you yourself actually didn't watch?

You can't expect to be taken seriously leaving 25 minutes in.
You have some major comprehension and interpretation issues. I did not accuse you of not watching, and we missed the seconds before the siren went to escape the rush out.

Finally quelled the nausea enough to watch Scott's presser.
Basically, on slow ball movement says it got us to the top and ITS TOO LATE to change now. Won't be changing.

On Stanley: conveniently pulled in the 6 or 7 others who assisted the decision
(hopefully they might load the BOM on to their collective mobiles now)

Did like how his eyes turned black with Tom Browne's baiting about home finals
-my thoughts have been made clear, about time our Club stood up for itself
- Not going to say anymore for you to beat it up. Haha.

Time to channel that aggression into your players Scotty.

Can someone more knowledgeable of the AFLs rules please answer this for me: when Scott mentioned in the pre-game telecast that they'd misjudged the weather and erred in leaving out Stanley, did they still have time to reverse that change and bring Stanley back into the side?
Someone posted earlier that Stanley should have played + Geelong cop the fine.

Harry’s an absolute gent. Doubt malice unless something else is going on.

Pendles done a dodgy anywhere along the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can't accept that that was a deliberate snub from Harry Taylor. He is one of those players that supporters from opposition clubs hold in the highest regard. He's earned that over many years of high quality play AND sportsmanship.

Much more likely he was instead reflecting on the game itself or something like that, rather than any act of deliberate poor sportsmanship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have some major comprehension and interpretation issues. I did not accuse you of not watching, and we missed the seconds before the siren went to escape the rush out.

My inferences are entirely reasonable. So what you meant to say was that you left at the 25 minute mark of the fourth quarter? Still a pretty weak showing to leave early.

On the other matter your words were

we were comprehensively beaten, and that scoreboard was flattering, as you know if you watched the game.

Which is you creating a false dichotomy wherein either I agree with your opinion, or did not watch. It's pretty obvious I don't agree with any of that, ergo the logical interpretation is that my disagreement can only come from not watching the game. In your words.

Both our teams played an honest, hard fought game of footy. We got the jump in the first quarter and held on by the skin of our teeth in our scoreless last quarter.
Of course I, along with many other Pies supporters, will be barracking for the Cats against the Weagles. Our two great Victorian clubs are the real deal, not some made up AFL franchise. Go get 'em, Cats!

It was fun having you about the board this week, no idea why some took such offense.

Good luck with the rest of your season, unless we meet again.

Someone posted earlier that Stanley should have played + Geelong cop the fine.

I think it may have been the "in for a penny, in for a pound" mindset. Probably had already given a lot of instruction around play/planning with that decision. We all know he would have looked a genius if it came off...big if.

I'm still suss, injury prone Stanley with a niggle and secret squirrel weather excuse?
It's not like any Vic AFL player is used to only tropical conditions....how many mud baths have these dudes played in over their career.

Yeah, agreed. He mentioned in the presser that they probably would have gone with Stanley had they known it would be a dry night - but that doesn't make any sense if they had the opportunity to bring him back in after they'd already realized the weather would be fine.

Seems more like they took a gamble and lost, now looking for excuses

There was an article in the Addy early in the week suggesting Stanley was going to be omitted. Scott’s weather excuse was false. How many comments in the Game Day + this thread disputed the weather excuse + said the Radar showed no sign of rain, long before Scott’s fabrication.

7E9F13BD-A05B-4DAB-96B6-032A6297DB44.jpeg

I’m on my iPhone + can’t access the Addy, due to paywall, even though I have a subscription. Will post the link later, if you’re interested.

There was an article in the Addy early in the week suggesting Stanley was going to be omitted. Scott’s weather excuse was false. How many comments in the Game Day + this thread disputed the weather excuse + said the Radar showed no sign of rain, long before Scott’s fabrication.

View attachment 743197

I’m on my iPhone + can’t access the Addy, due to paywall, even though I have a subscription. Will post the link later, if you’re interested.

Thanks HK - appreciate the effort. But don't stress, I think I've already seen that article. Plus, I'm trying to move on and get optimistic for this Friday night! :p

I think it may have been the "in for a penny, in for a pound" mindset. Probably had already given a lot of instruction around play/planning with that decision. We all know he would have looked a genius if it came off...big if.

I'm still suss, injury prone Stanley with a niggle and secret squirrel weather excuse?
It's not like any Vic AFL player is used to only tropical conditions....how many mud baths have these dudes played in over their career.

View attachment 743197

A Carlton fan trying to troll Geelong is up there with the saddest things in football.

Hope your team wins 10 games in a season sometime in your lifetime.
Check out his name 🙄🙄🙄

Scott’s arrogance and stubbornness has gone to new levels. I remember very clearly the first time he went blitz in the ruck against WC and how arrogant he was about it. He gets a ‘genius’ idea in his head then continually flogs a dead horse. It’s time he admits he’s wrong and takes responsibility for his BS tactics. The late changes, players listed in stupid positions, weak defensive game plan. He’s not fooling anyone. Opposition coaches must laugh at him. They see straight through it. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he went with blitz in the ruck again next week.
As soon as I saw Stanley wasn’t playing I said Collingwood would have been ROFLing 🙄

Colin Carter wrote the strategic AFL manifesto known simply as the ‘Blue Book’, more than 20 years ago. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong, wasn’t Carter involved with the equalisation strategy?

Demetriou invited Club Presidents: Andrew Newbold, Eddie McGuire, Gary March + Peter Gordon.

Yes but Colin was not at Geelong at that but happy to stand corrected nor was he president of one club. Peter Gordon as well. Well that makes sense. :(

Yes but Colin was not at Geelong at that but happy to stand corrected nor was he president of one club. Peter Gordon as well. Well that makes sense. :(

I’ve forgotten the discussion 🤣🤣🤣 Will get back to you, if you’re lucky 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back