Autopsy Pies beat the Cats, into the Preliminary Final!

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
A De Goey down is somewhat counteracted by an Elliott absolutely flying at the moment to be fair.

I think maybe it’s our bottom four that concern me most relative to this time last year but the roles Noble and Wills in particular are performing are critical.

Q
Just in case, my question about ‘handbaggers’ wasn’t intended as a slight on them.
For sure a combination of things came into play which got them back in the game. Firstly two rotations down hurt us, secondly we changed our tempo and game style during the latter part of the game to get us home. But you’re right, they played the game out.
I am always a strong advocate for backing our team and coaching panel in. We win and lose a club and if we want to celebrate the good times together we shouldn’t pull out the pitchforks as you say during the bad times because inevitably they come at some stage.
Side By Side.

They might have played the game out well but Collingwood was never in danger of losing. Collingwood protected their lead strongly. There’s no percentage in finals.

They might have played the game out well but Collingwood was never in danger of losing. Collingwood protected their lead strongly. There’s no percentage in finals.

Well, we can be grateful that Hawkins uncharacteristically dropped a sitter on the goal line with around 3 minutes left, and he missed a very easy set shot on goal in the first quarter ...

... and that both Howe and Elliott put on epic smothers in the last quarter to stop likely scoring opportunities. And Moore played the game of his career intercepting everything. Did everybody really see that coming?

Sure, credit to us that we won it, but credit is due to Geelong for losing it too.

Last edited:

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Well, we can be grateful that Hawkins uncharacteristically dropped a sitter on the goal line with around 3 minutes left, and he missed a very easy set shot on goal in the first quarter ...

... and that both Howe and Elliott put on epic smothers in the last quarter to stop likely scoring opportunities. And Moore played the game of his career interception everything. Did everybody really see that coming?

Sure, credit to us that we won it, but credit is due to Geelong for losing it too.
I agree with this. However i think there were also stages in the game we could have extended the lead, but didnt due to goals missed. Elliot touched on the line, Stephenson/Mihocek set shots that just missed ect, obviously will never know as the ball goes back to the centre after a goal resetting the play.

Had the side nailed those goals maybe the margin going into the 4th would have been larger.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

... and that both Howe and Elliott put on epic smothers in the last quarter to stop likely scoring opportunities. And Moore played the game of his career interception everything. Did everybody really see that coming?

Smothers are good football. We win with superior pressure all night. And did it with two men down.

Credit to Geelong for not giving up but we had them covered all night and restricted them to 7 goals and beat them by 2. Even in their alleged last quarter comeback they only kicked two goals . People speak of their last quarter as if they suddenly piled on five goals and just ran out of time to run over us.

I agree with this. However i think there were also stages in the game we could have extended the lead, but didnt due to goals missed. Elliot touched on the line, Stephenson/Mihocek set shots that just missed ect, obviously will never know as the ball goes back to the centre after a goal resetting the play.

Had the side nailed those goals maybe the margin going into the 4th would have been larger.

Yeah, I saw that the game played out in much the same way as last year’s GF. We got off to a healthy lead. It became an arm wrestle. And then we spent the last quarter holding back the dam wall (Geelong kicked 2 goals 3 in the last quarter, we didn’t score at all)

Thankfully Geelong on Friday night weren’t as good as WCE were last year.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I saw that the game played out in much the same way as last year’s GF. We got off to a healthy lead. It became an arm wrestle. And then we spent the last quarter holding back the dam wall (Geelong kicked 2 goals 3 in the last quarter, we didn’t score at all)

Thankfully Geelong on Friday night weren’t as good as WCE were last year.

That Just shows how much we missed Darcy Moore last year.

And no, Geelong aren’t anywhere nearly as good as West Coast last year

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL

... and that both Howe and Elliott put on epic smothers in the last quarter to stop likely scoring opportunities. And Moore played the game of his career intercepting everything. Did everybody really see that coming?

I like to think Hawkins poor game was due to our solid defensive lineup and the constant pressure he was under, how often did he even get a clear lead at the football?

He mostly looked dangerous when the defenders were having to shuffle around to cover for Rougheads absence.

Last edited:
It was just a reference to them being soft. Someone might correct me but I believe Lou Richards came up with it (or something similar) in the 70's and it stuck.

I thought it came in the 90's with those GF Losses they had

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
PIEWITHSAUCE is correct; back in the 70s(?) Lou Richards started saying they carried handbags - certainly well before they lost those GFs in the 90s
The PC mob would hound Lou out of town today :devil:

Back in the 70s when the final five came in Lou also gave the term “ Eliminitis” to Essendon for their tendency to lose Elimination finals. That seems to be as irrelevant today as it was back then!!!!!

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Okay so I squibbed it and turned off the television once Geelong got within 12pts.

LOL.

I should be feeling nothing but elation after an epic victory but all I feel right now is a strange mix of nervousness for our next game, annoyance that we closed shop with 15 minutes to play that gave Geelong a sniff and deflation that a crucial player for any potential Premiership success in de Goey is seemingly injured again.

P.S-You can now add the suspected ACL injury to Greenwood to the deflation list.
Completely understand you turning off the TV. Maybe it's only those of us who've watched Collingwood in finals for 50 or so years who might do this. You don't get the bullet from me.

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love how delusional they are at Geelong "Post-halftime defensively we were really sound, but the way that we started giving Collingwood the start that they had always puts us on the back foot,” "Dangerfield said.".

Um Danger Collingwood had the lead and tactically shut up shop as not to be scored against. ..

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back in the 70s when the final five came in Lou also gave the term “ Eliminitis” to Essendon for their tendency to lose Elimination finals. That seems to be as irrelevant today as it was back then!!!!!
just need to ask the question........ "irrelevant" or "irreverent"? - or are you playing Lou / Jack word games...? eg
  • "It's as dark out there as the Black Hole of Dakota."
  • "The goal posts are moving so fast I can't keep up with the play."

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love how delusional they are at Geelong "Post-halftime defensively we were really sound, but the way that we started giving Collingwood the start that they had always puts us on the back foot,” "Dangerfield said.".

Um Danger Collingwood had the lead and tactically shut up shop as not to be scored against. ..

Post half time Geelong kicked three goals to win the half by one goal and lose the match by two goals.

At that rate they had enough momentum to draw the match if had it had gone on for another 100 minutes.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can anyone see Geelong climb back and meet us in the GF?

Be nice to see Chris have another sook if / when they lose.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they win this week yes I can, they smashed Richmond at the G. But I think West Coast will win and then lose to Richmond
Nice but.
Three teams all are pests, two get knocked out.

Nice.

We ofcourse have to do the business against Giants/Lions.

It was just a reference to them being soft. Someone might correct me but I believe Lou Richards came up with it (or something similar) in the 70's and it stuck.
Correct. Lou was winding up his old mate Bob Davis, the Geelong Flyer, who was always visibly irritated by it. It went on for years and was great entertainment.

If I can be indulged to the extent of an anecdote... as it happens, I used to work in the open plan office where Lou and his ghost writer would write up his weekly tips and previews for the old Sun News-pic. The articles included a lot of humour, which would be tested at high decibel readings before being immortalised in print on the Saturday morning. Lou was obviously a wisecracker. For one of the previews he wanted to have a crack at his mate Bob... off the cuff, he boomed out: "Don't talk to me about Bob Davis. He's crooked. Crooked. He's so crooked he could go to sleep in a trumpet."

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back