2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE got there finally but Lyon never really fired. All the Paine haters can get stuffed. Well done Tim you played very well and captained the Ozzies to the Ashes and a resounding win. Smith was the major reason we won and some pretty good spells by all the quicks at various times. Both sides displayed poor batting overall and I think a major factor for us was the fact that Archer did not fire up for the poms in the First Innings. This allowed Smith to dominate and the no ball out will stick in the throat of Leach for awhile. So things IMHO went Australia's way and we were good enough to capitalise. Final Test will be interesting especially selection. Warne has to go and Probably Harris. Bring in a right left combo Khawaja and Bancroft will do. Rest of the batting stays. Give Pat Cummins a rest and bring in Siddle for no other reason than that Cummins has bigger fish to fry. If your hellbent on winning the Fifth Test keep him in and drop Lyons. From the News this am looks like the Ozzies hit the piss so will be interesting to see how the front up at the Oval. Biggest irk from Test was Warne and the big fake smile he wore for the final 3 days and Wade...keep the mouth shut and let your batting do the talking.
-r.
Warne-r?
But very good post.

So India tour here again before England do ? I'd also like to apologise to a few posters that I debated that said Marnus should in the team for the first test, they were right and I was wrong.

Yes.

The following matches are our World Test Championship fixtures prior to the final at Lords in 2021.

We are also scheduled to play Afghanistan in November 2020 prior to the Indian test which is more than likely going to be at Perth or the GABBA.

We're probably in with a good shout of making the final since we dont travel to India as normal in winter 2020 because of the T20 world cup and our only subcontinent trip is to Bangladesh rather than India, Sri Lanka or the UAE.

Yes.

The following matches are our World Test Championship fixtures prior to the final at Lords in 2021.

We are also scheduled to play Afghanistan in November 2020 prior to the Indian test which is more than likely going to be at Perth or the GABBA.

We're probably in with a good shout of making the final since we dont travel to India as normal in winter 2020 because of the T20 world cup and our only subcontinent trip is to Bangladesh rather than India, Sri Lanka or the UAE.

View attachment 743256

View attachment 743257

View attachment 743260

View attachment 743261

View attachment 743262

All good at least we can get some revenge on India at home and also South Africa after what happened their last time. So basically this world test championship has forced us to play India at home twice in a row and South Africa away twice in a row ?

Paine has taken the weakest Australian side to tour there since before I began watching the Ashes, and has come away with the Ashes after four tests

I like Paine and I actually think we should stick with him beyond the home Summer purely because I don't think we should rush Smith back to Captain when we have something great going.

However I don't know if I buy this, we have some big flaws but we probably have the best bowling attack we've had since 2005 and Steve Smith is miles above Michael Clarke in England who was our only good bat in '13 and '15

2009 our batting as a whole was better but our bowling let us down. I'd say based on Smith being so far above everyone else along with our bowling attack this is still our best side since 05 in these conditions.

How quickly people forget. Captain bashing has been going on ever since Lawry got sacked and was replaced with Chappell. Every Captain since has been criticized for people's perceptions of tactical errors..strategic mistakes etc. When to declare...bowl or bat first...field placings...there all grist for the mill. The emphasis on the Captain quite frankly is BS. If everyone plays their PART and at a high level we will succeed. Players are human they have good days and bad days. The Captain is no different. Paine has played his PART..made mistakes certainly..failed with the bat sometimes..yes. But overall we SHOULD be 3 nil up.
His keeping by the way has been very good. I hope they do go for the 5th test win because Paine's Legacy will reflect that. AS I said earlier the Paine knockers can get stuffed.

Agree and captain bashing for some is a sport.
In my last years as a player I skippered at a decent level and often had to endure the President of the club shouting constant suggestions from the boundary line. I'd confront him during a break, he'd apologise but then no sooner had we recommenced play he would start again, some people just can't help themselves.
ALL skippers make mistakes, it comes with the job, and aside from Taylor, Waugh and perhaps Ponting, Paine is one of the most experienced modern day captains we've ever had..

I got to sleep after 4:30 and the wife kicked me out of bed at 6:30. I worked today and now I’m a zombie.

Lucky you know what I had to be up at 5:10 to get to work...not pretty! I went George Constanga at work nap at work lol

I got to sleep after 4:30 and the wife kicked me out of bed at 6:30. I worked today and now I’m a zombie.
I missed a lot because it was my brother's birthday so he came round, we ate curry, got s***ers and tried to smoke a spilff for every one of his 45 years.

Which is exactly why you cannot have a bunny like Warner in the batting line up for the Oval.
How many times does Smith have to come to the crease within the first 30 mins?

And Harris is better? Sorry but he’s rubbish at least Warner can catch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... because you had already made your mind up by that point, and are only really interested in what adheres to your preexisting point of view.

Headingley was a catastrophe, but to place the entirety of that loss on Paine - as you seem to have done - for the lost reviews completely removes fault from Wilson, and completely leaves aside the fact of Stokes magnificent innings.

Paine has taken the weakest Australian side to tour there since before I began watching the Ashes, and has come away with the Ashes after four tests; it is only due to a clusterfu** that it isn't 0-3. That he has done this off the back of his champion players - Cummins and Smith - is obvious, but what isn't is the fact that this team - like Paine himself - has allowed themselves to shut up and let their cricket do the talking. They've had their plans, they've ignored external voices and ego, and they've got on with it. They overcame the shattering effect of that loss to retain the Ashes next test, and we won this match with 2 entire sessions lost to rain. We bowled them out on a batting strip.

You're only seeing what you want to see.
I wouldn't call it the "weakest", we do have the World's best Test batter, fast bowler and spinner. If they weren't No. 1 in all 3 of the most important flaccid of the game, we would have struggle. Then there is another quality fast bowler in Hazelwood (a top 5 fast bowler in the World you would think) and backup in Starc, Siddle and Pattinson (all are very handy)....so half of the team are quality, the other batters are meh but they did contribute when they had too.

All the Tim Paine haters can also go and fu** themselves, he's the Australian captain for a reason and he showed why in this test. whilst he has made mistakes during the series he has shown he is willing to learn from those mistakes . He should be applauded for his part in the Ashes coming home.

He took a belter of a catch too.
If he and the team can sort out the reviews I would be happier. I think that some of that was due to the s**t umpiring this match though.

I wouldn't call it the "weakest", we do have the World's best Test batter, fast bowler and spinner. If they weren't No. 1 in all 3 of the most important flaccid of the game, we would have struggle. Then there is another quality fast bowler in Hazelwood (a top 5 fast bowler in the World you would think) and backup in Starc, Siddle and Pattinson (all are very handy)....so half of the team are quality, the other batters are meh but they did contribute when they had too.
Not many sides can overcome having a single bat fire in the top six, away from home, in conditions that are near designed to make your batsman worse. Not only that, in the past our much vaunted bowling attack has repeatedly failed in England in the past, with Johnson, Hazelwood, Lee, Starc all misfiring in the immediate past.

I get that people want to diminish the achievement here (for some reason) but there are too many actual historical facts that people are ignoring to make that case. Of course our bowlers are in the top 25 in the world; nevermind that previous versions of our attacks with similar rankings have gone terribly in England. Of course we have the best test bat in the world; never mind that we've taken the best batsman in the world to England before in Ponting and Smith and Clarke before, and we've been rolled then too.

I dragged my arse out of bed at 11.30am to feed the cat and had a message from work asking if I could come in at 1pm today. Then another saying someone else took the shift.
Went back to bed and slept until 3pm.
Still feel seedy as fu** but no regrets and grinning.

Yet I’m going on 1 hour sleep...today is the version of hell!

Worth it though!

Yeah making the declaration, and then bringing lambachane on at the death really highlights your claim
Bringing on a part timer after 90 minutes of the front liners being unable to dismiss the number 8 or 10 batsman, in the last session and fading light, is not some stroke of genius. It was a good move but it's also cricket captaincy 101.

The commentators were on his back most of the day over field placings, he didn't give his bowlers the best chance of getting wickets. But this is moot now of course.
Maybe he was thinking out of the box and thinking of the time saved in fielding by keeping some fielders out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back