Live Event Toby Greene fronts the tribunal - Suspension appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an eye-gouging rule in the AFL laws? It's covered by an over arching set of rules to allow for any circumstance. We probably don't have a Hopoate date rule either however if John decided to turn his hand (pun intended) to AFL, he would be covered.
We saw how bad Israel was at footy, we don’t need to repeat that with Hoppa.

And I just assumed eye-gouging would be a law of the game. Surely it has happened many times in the past?

Also, I’m glad you raised rugby league because what the hell is going on with the increased gouged this year? That flog from Cowboys, madness.

a minute ago
Footage of the incident - described by Jeff Gleeson QC as "making contact with the forearm and hands to Bontempelli's head" and "the pulling of Bontempelli's hair" - is now being shown to the Tribunal.

a minute ago
The Western Bulldogs' medical report says Bontempelli was assessed as a result of the incident, but will require no ongoing treatment.

a few seconds ago
Greene is asked to provide a statement, he says: "My actions were a reaction to an incident that occurred in the tackle ... looking back on the incident I understand I overstepped the mark in my remonstration. I am extremely apologetic if there was any harm done to Bontempelli."

Jeff Gleeson QC submits for a "significant fine" of between $5000 to $7500, given his remorse and that he has made no attempt to defend his action.

Gleeson says it would be "one of the more significant fines" handed out by the AFL Tribunal, but says it "falls short of warranting a suspension sanction" due to Greene's guilty plea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is pleading guilty to a forearm to the head and hair pulling so it will probably be a fine. It won’t matter that he actually banged the Bont’s head on the ground.

Jeff Gleeson QC submits for a "significant fine" of between $5000 to $7500, given his remorse and that he has made no attempt to defend his action.

Gleeson says it would be "one of the more significant fines" handed out by the AFL Tribunal, but says it "falls short of warranting a suspension sanction" due to Greene's guilty plea.

Sicily - lightly stepping on someone - 1 week (pleaded guilty)
Stratton - pinching (and stepping on a hand) - 2 weeks (pleaded guilty)
Greene - 'Unnecessary' Eye gouging - Fine (pleaded guilty)

Never change AFL :drunk:

Last edited:
Sicily - lightly stepping on someone - 1 week (pleaded guilty)
Stratton - pinching (and stepping on a hand) - 2 weeks (pleaded guilty)
Greene - Eye gouging and coming in for a fight - Fine (pleaded guilty)

Never change AFL :drunk:

I would agree with you if there was footage of the eye-gouging - but they haven't even charged him with eye-gouging (if that is an actual charge anyway).
If there is no evidence of eye-gouging then it should just be a fine, sure he roughed up the Bont - but roughing a player up is not cause for suspension.

And what the hell is 'coming in for a fight'? How do you quantify what that means, how do you suspend someone for it?

If Bontempelli got rubbed out for 2 games for his hit on the GWS player as he should have been, maybe the Dogs may have won on the weekend as the Giants would not have been so hostile seeking revenge and retribution in the final.

If Bont wins the Brownlow it will be a very heavily tainted one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back