Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Germany sounds like the place to be. Think it might be too difficult/expensive to get there from London which is where I will be from Christmas but we will see. Been starting to form a rough itinerary. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Flying in on the 6th of October.

Amsterdam 7 days
Hamburg 3 days
Berlin 5 days
Prague 4 days
Krakow 5 days
Budapest 5 days
Salzburg ?? 3 days
Ljublana 3 days
Split 2 days
Florence 4 days
Bologna 5 days
Nice 4 days
Barcelona 5 days
Porto 5 days
San Sebastian 2 days
Bordeaux 5 days
Paris 7 days
Brighton 4 days
London 2 weeks
UK 2 weeks

It may seem quite planned out but the truth is I’ve only booked my flights in and out of Amsterdam. The rest is just a rough idea of places I want to see and how long I think I’d like to spend there. It’s pretty loose and open though as that is how I intend to travel.

The only thing I’m tied into at this stage is meeting my GF in paris in mid December and then being in London over Christmas.

Unless you are going to Salzburg for a particular reason 3 days seems excessive. It's kind of halfway between Vienna and Prague. I went to Salzburg as a stopover on the train between Vienna and Prague. Only really needed one day.

I was in Croatia in April. Split is ok but nowhere near as good as Dubrovnik. There are also a couple of national parks in Croatia, Plitvice and Krka, that I highly recommend.

Germany sounds like the place to be. Think it might be too difficult/expensive to get there from London which is where I will be from Christmas but we will see. Been starting to form a rough itinerary. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Flying in on the 6th of October.

Amsterdam 7 days
Hamburg 3 days
Berlin 5 days
Prague 4 days
Krakow 5 days
Budapest 5 days
Salzburg ?? 3 days
Ljublana 3 days
Split 2 days
Florence 4 days
Bologna 5 days
Nice 4 days
Barcelona 5 days
Porto 5 days
San Sebastian 2 days
Bordeaux 5 days
Paris 7 days
Brighton 4 days
London 2 weeks
UK 2 weeks

It may seem quite planned out but the truth is I’ve only booked my flights in and out of Amsterdam. The rest is just a rough idea of places I want to see and how long I think I’d like to spend there. It’s pretty loose and open though as that is how I intend to travel.

The only thing I’m tied into at this stage is meeting my GF in paris in mid December and then being in London over Christmas.

I would look at cutting out Ljublana and Split for this time of year and replace them with Vienna and/or Innsbruck. Also consider Munich and see which cities you can cut a day or two from and those which you can add more to. But over a three month period this should be very doable but keep in mind you'll be on the go quite a bit so plan on having a holiday from the holiday at some point.

Unless you are going to Salzburg for a particular reason 3 days seems excessive. It's kind of halfway between Vienna and Prague. I went to Salzburg as a stopover on the train between Vienna and Prague. Only really needed one day.

Yep, no more than 2 days IMO if being lazy and want to take your time, a day you can see everything of note.

Don't need 5 days in Krakow IMO. I'd dump 2 days and add them to Prague, which could give you the time to go and see Cesky Krumlov or Brno.

Or have 3 days in Krakow and 2 in Wroclaw

My planned trip for the Trans-Siberian next April (fly in to Vladivostok and out of Moscow)

Vladivostok

Khabarovsk

Ulan Ude

Irkutsk

Krasnoyarsk

Tomsk

Omsk

Yekaterinburg

Nizhny Novograd

Moscow

Most places, except Ulan Ude(2 days), Irkutsk(3 days) and Yekaterinburg(3 days) are just day stopovers, get off the train in the morning, back on in the evening to stretch my legs and get a quick overview of the place. I'll also have about 5 days once I arrive in Moscow before my plane departs.

Last edited:
My planned trip for the Trans-Siberian next April (fly in to Vladivostok and out of Moscow)

Vladivostok

Khabarovsk

Ulan Ude

Irktusk

Krasnoyarsk

Tomsk

Omsk

Yekaterinburg

Nizhny Novograd

Moscow

Most places, except Ulan Ude(2 days), Irktusk(3 days) and Yekaterinburg(3 days) are just day stopovers, get off the train in the morning, back on in the evening to stretch my legs and get a quick overview of the place. I'll also have about 5 days once I arrive in Moscow before my plane departs.
A friend went from Moscow to Beijing about 30 years ago

Its on my to do list

I would look at cutting out Ljublana and Split for this time of year and replace them with Vienna and/or Innsbruck. Also consider Munich and see which cities you can cut a day or two from and those which you can add more to. But over a three month period this should be very doable but keep in mind you'll be on the go quite a bit so plan on having a holiday from the holiday at some point.
Don't tell the whole world about it, but Hallstatt is amazing if you want to do something different

Don't tell the whole world about it, but Hallstatt is amazing if you want to do something different

It is something that does come up from time to time from friends of mine that are from Germany and Austria. I think it would be a great place to spend a quiet week during summer in the middle of a big trip

Yeah, not telling the world about Hallstatt is a bit like not telling the world about Dubrovnik.

Yeah, not telling the world about Hallstatt is a bit like not telling the world about Dubrovnik.
I didn't realise it had gotten that big... I was there a few years back and it was a super chilled place. Perhaps winter made it a bit less accessible to most. Sounds like its the new barcelona

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't realise it had gotten that big... I was there a few years back and it was a super chilled place. Perhaps winter made it a bit less accessible to most. Sounds like its the new barcelona
We had been there before and loved it but went out there in August last year and you couldn’t move. Stacks of tour buses full of Chinese and other Asian folk. The good thing is they all depart mid to late afternoon and it becomes peaceful once again. Beautiful place to walk on dusk and heaps of good restaurants to chill at. A fair bit of wildlife on the road after dark though so we just took it easy

Just came across this book btw, and having stayed at this place I can confirm, one of the best places I’ve ever stayed in. Hotel or hostel. Lisbon for hide playing at home.
22989b78a45f7de71db026b581b613b7.jpg

886eb646773176d0e33b3413c2eacb6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scandinavia next year, looking at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Tromso, Helsinki, Gothernburg. Probably surrounding day trips too. Any other recommendations?

If you can be bothered applying for a visa to Russia I would get to St. Petersburg. Amazing city. Probably my favourite on earth. You can take a train from Helsinki which is about a 3 hour trip.

Whats great about St P ?

Architecture, museums (could spend a week in just the Hermitage), art galleries, Peterhof palace. You can spend all day just walking along Nevsky prospect shopping and eating. Great nightlife. Take a boat tour around the canals of St. Petersburg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back