If Richmond beat Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly, I agree 100%. Premierships are hard enough to win without inhibiting yourself with constant flying back and forth. Keep them fresh. Sitting on a plane for hours, time over time, will flatten them. Remember when we got trounced by GWS after flying to Adelaide - that was the last time we had double up flights. It wasn't pretty.
Without trying to be a smart *** the players could have prevented this by playing 4 quarters of football and not snoozed off so many times throughout the year, but unfortunately we have what we have! I can think of the results of the Collingwood game, Hawks game etc that told on us at seasons end as to where we ended up on the ladder. Think the extra travel will tell on us at the end if the day??

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong are my new Collingwood. I cannot stand them. Take a listen to Dangerfield, arrogant prick today saying there is a reason why they finished 1st. I want Yeo to go on beast mode and limit Danger to like 10 touches. I want NN to tackle the s**t out of him. He is number one prick at the moment.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Adelaide in 1998. It was under the old finals system. Adelaide had to play all 4 finals on the road.

Lost the first one and the went on to win the next 3 to win the flag from 5th

Yep. And they played here in Perth in the final round and of course there was no ore finals bye. 5 weeks in a row on the road. Of course the distance flown is not the same, but it was an awesome and remarkable achievement! The VFL have down their best to downplay it over the years, but that’s standard practice for them 🙄

Geelong are my new Collingwood. I cannot stand them. Take a listen to Dangerfield, arrogant prick today saying there is a reason why they finished 1st. I want Yeo to go on beast mode and limit Danger to like 10 touches. I want NN to tackle the s**t out of him. He is number one prick at the moment.
Can't expect Danger to come out and say they are cooked. Being good enough to finish top is the positive they have to focus on and use to propel themselves forward after a disappointing outing vs the Pies. It will be rewarding to straight set them nonetheless.

I am on the anyone but Richmond wagon. Get away with murder off the ball, armchair ride from the umps and 24/7 gobbies from the media. I will puke if those campaigners knock us out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Why not set up camp in Melbourne?
One way to combat the effects of travel is to not travel at all.
West Coast could move its entire operation to Melbourne, and effectively live there until the grand final, assuming they make it that far.
It seems like a simple answer to a complicated problem, but according to three-time premiership coach Mick Malthouse, it's not a practical solution.
Malthouse battled with the challenge of repetitive travel when he was coach of West Coast in 1990, when the Eagles played six consecutive matches in the east.
"You've got to get into your own environment as often and as best as you can," he told ABC Sports Talk.
"They'll probably go over two days early, but the three weeks is just excessive."
It's not unheard of that AFL clubs try to negate travel by eliminating a return to their home city.
Geelong tried to do it earlier this year when they spent a week in Perth following a match on the Gold Coast, while the Suns did the same last year when they sold a game to Fremantle.
Both sides were comprehensively beaten.
"You've got 18-year-olds to 30-something year-olds, some married with young kids, and some just needing their own bed," Malthouse said.

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Remove this Banner Ad

Back