Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

You just knew Gerard was going to channel his inner Alfred Noyes when Australia retained the Ashes last night.

I can imagine something like. “A win for the ages...built on a narrative of epic proportions...Australia and the Old Enemy in the time honoured clash. A victory that will define (insert word nobody has heard before here to sound intelligent). The Gods, the fates were with Australia last night...hostilities will resume in London for the fifth and final Test of this gripping, mesmerising, intoxicating series....(at which point his head explodes).

I can imagine something like. “A win for the ages...built on a narrative of epic proportions...Australia and the Old Enemy in the time honoured clash. A victory that will define (insert word nobody has heard before here to sound intelligent). The Gods, the fates were with Australia last night...hostilities will resume in London for the fifth and final Test of this gripping, mesmerising, intoxicating series....(at which point his head explodes).

Are you his script writer?

“A morning of bursting pride.”

Shut up Gerard. It’s not the 80s anymore.
If you're not a cricket fan, that's fine, but it's certainly been a day of bursting pride for me. And I suspect a lot of cricket lovers.

I didn't hear him this morning but he could've waffled on for three hours about the cricket and I think it would've been appropriate given everything that has occurred in the last six weeks - and the last 18 months.

If you're not a cricket fan, that's fine, but it's certainly been a day of bursting pride for me. And I suspect a lot of cricket lovers.

I didn't hear him this morning but he could've waffled on for three hours about the cricket and I think it would've been appropriate given everything that has occurred in the last six weeks - and the last 18 months.

Agreed. I know ive watch replays of the days play and its been great. Im searching for poms to talk cricket to. Funny they were everywhere last test, now they've disappeared or stated no one cares about cricket in england.

I have read all that with a Gerard Whateley accent

I feel awful for my opinions on his media appearances now. Really seemed like he was on top of his issues given how open he has been but looks like that might not have been the case. Horrible either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like Whateley's stilted, pompous-sounding delivery. It sounds like he's come from the ABC School of EENOWNSEEAYTEEENG, where they drum into you to the 1950s style of broadcasting, where you must make the absolute most of every syllable, and if there's not enough, add a few extra ones, ala Criag Willis, or should I say, "Craig-ah, Willis-aaaah, from the AFL-ah Grand Final-aaaaaaah"

Last edited:
Same here mate
Despite what some of us have said in the past about spud being on sen, I'm sure many of us in here feel like we knew him by how much we have seen and heard from him in the media over the years. Frawley wore his heart on his sleeve and he was passionate about footy and this came through. Listening to the sen this evening and watching fox footy now it's hard not to get emotional. Our heart goes out to his wife and daughters, extended family and his friends. I feel for Lyon and dunstall tonight.

I feel awful for my opinions on his media appearances now.
Why? They were your honest opinions at the time. Stand by them.

My honest opinion is that Gerard Whateley helped to stir the Australian mouth-breathing public into a frenzy which saw Smith banned for 12 months.

The greatest batsman since Bradman and we missed twelve months of him in his prime due to flogs like Whately and his mouth-breathing listeners.

Anybody who called for Smith to be banned ought to be tarred and feathered before allowed to attend another Test on Aussie soil.

Whateley especially.

Why? They were your honest opinions at the time. Stand by them.

My honest opinion is that Gerard Whateley helped to stir the Australian mouth-breathing public into a frenzy which saw Smith banned for 12 months.

The greatest batsman since Bradman and we missed twelve months of him in his prime due to flogs like Whately and his mouth-breathing listeners.

Anybody who called for Smith to be banned ought to be tarred and feathered before allowed to attend another Test on Aussie soil.

Whateley especially.

But if smith wasnt banned he would not have achieved the unparallel heights he's scaled the past month in the ashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back