Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If we already weren't using Hosie do you think he'd get a senior game?

Probably not at the moment, be we literally have 0 key forward depth. If something were to happen to Brown or Larkey we’d be in serious trouble. Xerri isn’t ready, Durdin & McKay both struggle forward and I think we all want Daw to settle in the back half.

He wouldn’t play ahead of Brown/Larkey at the moment but his upside is huge and who knows where he could end up in a professional environment.
We had a free hit in the mid season draft and we missed the opportunity.
Hearing Will Walker say he knew he was done for the year before round 1 and hasn't even started running yet adds to my feeling we wasted an opportunity. Yes, it would have been speculative, but I just can't see why we wouldn't have gone for a second roll of the dice.

U18 watchers - do you think Jackson has the height to be a full time ruck in the AFL? If not, does he have the ability to play a key position?

Probably not at the moment, be we literally have 0 key forward depth. If something were to happen to Brown or Larkey we’d be in serious trouble. Xerri isn’t ready, Durdin & McKay both struggle forward and I think we all want Daw to settle in the back half.

Lets hope Daw can make it back, Durdin and McKay make it, and we can contemplate playing Tarrant at FF, or Xerri comes on in leaps and bounds. Think we can restructure and play a different fwd line, zurhaar, ziebell, garner, cunnington, wood (if still there), thomas, and LDU all strong overhead.

U18 watchers - do you think Jackson has the height to be a full time ruck in the AFL? If not, does he have the ability to play a key position?
He's tall enough to play ruck. Goodes was only about 192. Jackson can play that mobile Ruckman role or play as a third KPF and spend time in the ruck helping out an aging Ruckman. Means Larkey can play 100% as a forward.
Jackson's all around ability and mobility are more valuable than some plodding ruck.

Tom Gribble just win the JJ Liston. I called for us to rookie him back in 2012

Tom Gribble please - kid can definitely play but just seams to have flown under the radar

Classic case of a kid who’s good at everything but maybe without that one elite trait that recruiters look for. He’s still relatively young, gets lots of ball, no obvious flaws (at least that I’m aware of). Worth a rookie pick?

Edit: Good runner, averaged 30 touches and 7 clearances. What’s not to like?

Last edited:

Classic case of a kid who’s good at everything but maybe without that one elite trait that recruiters look for. He’s still relatively young, gets lots of ball, no obvious flaws (at least that I’m aware of). Worth a rookie pick?

Edit: averaged 30 touches and 7 clearances.
We definitely need more genuine midfield depth. Gribble vs Partington? Who would you pick egga? Who uses it better?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We definitely need more genuine midfield depth. Gribble vs Partington? Who would you pick egga? Who uses it better?

Possibly Partington is a better kick. There were questions on Gribble’s kicking during his draft year, but he was actually a good kick as a junior and I believe it’s an aspect of his game he’s continued to focus on.

But I reckon we’re screaming out for an athletic onballer who can win heaps of it and contribute at clearances (aka the Gribbler).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: Good runner, averaged 30 touches and 7 clearances. What’s not to like?

Very poor kick and from what I’ve been told doesn’t have the best attitude either. Same reasons Jye Bolton and Hayden Scholithe haven’t been picked up.

Thoughts on Partington RF? Handy list depth type?

I’ve always really liked him as a footballer. Even in juniors. He reminds me of a cross between Swallow and say Dumont. Hard in and under but a decent runner on the outside. However he just doesn’t have that turn of pace like Froggy and post Achilles Swallow.

You could say he is a bit of meat and potatoes type that’s really good at everything but has no real stand out feature.

In 2015 (his draft year) he lost his dad in a mining accident and still managed to make the all-Australian side. So he has incredible resilience considering he was from a regional community in SA. Was always talked about as a future captain when going through the junior ranks.

I thought he was bloody unlucky not to be on an AFL list after being delisted by WC. He won East Perth’s BnF and averaged 26 odd touches a game in the WAFL.

Now he has backed it up with a Magerey Medal for Glenelg. This year he has averaged nearly 30 touches a game @80% DE, a goal per game, 6 clearances and 6 inside 50’s.

Supposedly after he got delisted he set himself the goal to be a better runner (even though he had decent endurance) so that he could develop his outside and attacking game.

He is driven, determined and has doesn’t really have any deficiencies in his game. I think over the last 2 years he has more than shown he could be capable at AFL level.

Considering the lack of depth in this draft I’d be more than happy to take him either late in the draft or as a rookie.

If Ben Jacobs & Trent Dumont (guys who I really rate) can carve out a role at AFL level I have no doubt that Partington could as well.

Interested in people's thoughts about trading our first for next year; as I understand it, there will be a heap of academy players in the top 20 (none zoned to north) so the talent pool will be limited and yet other clubs might be keen to get points to secure their kids; two first rounders this year might well be a better package than one now and the other next (if you see what I mean)

Interested in people's thoughts about trading our first for next year; as I understand it, there will be a heap of academy players in the top 20 (none zoned to north) so the talent pool will be limited and yet other clubs might be keen to get points to secure their kids; two first rounders this year might well be a better package than one now and the other next (if you see what I mean)
We are more likely to repeat 2017 and trade for second rounders and we got away with it last time.

Still dunno how I feel about trading our first for Polec, though. Hung jury on that one personally.

I wish we were in a position to do so, but we need talented kids now.

With the amount of NGA academy kids next year the draft is nearly going to be as compromised as the Gold Coast and GWS super drafts.

Lachlan Ash would be my pick at this stage for his elite pace off hbf

Brodie kemp I think will be a serious player in the Fyfe mould and don’t mind that he will miss half a year. Will be worth it

Might be who is best left at North’s pick. Out of Kemp Ash & Stephens

I wish we were in a position to do so, but we need talented kids now.

With the amount of NGA academy kids next year the draft is nearly going to be as compromised as the Gold Coast and GWS super drafts.

I think you're actually saying the same thing. I thought Merlin007 was suggesting cashing out of next year to focus on this year?

The main way I'd imagine it working is trying to grab a stronger club's 1st and 2nd rounders this year in exchange for our 2020 1st rounder. This would depend on an outside perception we're not going to improve our ladder position.

For instance, would we gamble our 2020 1st rounder for West Coast picks 1 (14-18) + 2 (32-36)?

We then hit the draft with for example: 7, 15, 25, 33, 43. Not a bad hand to retool the list and keeps us out of overinvesting in the pre-selected minefield of 2020.

I think you're actually saying the same thing. I thought Merlin007 was suggesting cashing out of next year to focus on this year?

The main way I'd imagine it working is trying to grab a stronger club's 1st and 2nd rounders this year in exchange for our 2020 1st rounder. This would depend on an outside perception we're not going to improve our ladder position.

For instance, would we gamble our 2020 1st rounder for West Coast picks 1 (14-18) + 2 (32-36)?

We then hit the draft with for example: 7, 15, 25, 33, 43. Not a bad hand to retool the list and keeps us out of overinvesting in the pre-selected minefield of 2020.
yep, that's the logic; out of a selection of picks like that, you'd be unlucky not to get some starting 22 players, to build on the existing younger brigade (LDU, Jy, TT, Zurhaar, Larkey) while the older cohort are still around (hopefully Goldy, Higgins, Tarrant, JZ, Cunners)

Like this.

Would also increase the possibility of trading for Papley and keeping our first pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back