Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a while, but I eventually figured it out. So many machinations involved (Hendo included too)

Stanley & Cunico - Hugh Goddard (delisted, picked up by Carlton)
Smith - Mackenzie Willis (delisted), Sam Collins (traded Collins pick to Freo, delisted, then, ironically picked up by Gold Coast last year)
Scooter - Free agent (compo pick - Luke Partington, delisted)
Henderson - Jarrod Berry
Danger - Milera, Gore (delisted, back at Geelong VFL, Troy Menzel (delisted)
Tuohy & Fogarty - Smedts (delisted), Cameron Polson & Zac Bailey
Dahl - Free agent (compo pick - Rhylee West - father son selection)
Rohan - Marty Hore

Only one I truly regret, is Henderson in for Berry. Hendo was handy at the time time though, so I can't complain too much. We've done well with everything else though. I wouldn't have minded Marty Hore instead of Rohan, but not much chance we would have selected him anyway with a speculative late pick.
Can't use this list. Wells was never going to select all the names listed as there were other better players available. All you can do it look at the pick number and compare to the player.

Also consider if we drafted Grundy we would never have wasted a pick on Stanley. If we had kept hamling we would never have traded for Henderson.

Is the numpty on 360 tonight?

the scott hate is a joke. we have been the most competitive home and away team over his tenure

and we have played home finals at the opposition teams home ground as an away game
in an even competition this is bullshit

the scott hate is a joke. we have been the most competitive home and away team over his tenure

and we have played home finals at the opposition teams home ground as an away game
in an even competition this is bulls**t

I have been a Scott supporter.

Means nothing if you can't get your team up for a final. With and 1-12 post bye record how do we come out so limp when finals are all about pressure. It's unfathomable that this flaw hasn't been fixed.

I think the playing group need a new voice.

in an even competition this is bulls**t

Excuse fodder right here

hopefully your boy plays this week- we need his composure and smarts

I might get my extra sprinkles and not so soft serve this Fri night too!! Win, win!

No, in reality, Cameron Guthrie is inconsequential. If there's a player who rides the wave and would never truly be the difference in a final (of all games) it's his mediocre backside.

I have been a Scott supporter.

Means nothing if you can't get your team up for a final. With and 1-12 post bye record how do we come out so limp when finals are all about pressure. It's unfathomable that this flaw hasn't been fixed.

I think the playing group need a new voice.
no, have a look at the number of away games after the bye etc

new voice would result in poor performance all year, not selectively
and this squad has been rotated, with new assistants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you know if a new voice would result in poor performance? You need to take off your blue and white goggles and see things for what they really are.

I suppose you thought dropping Stanley was a brilliant move too? What about dropping Menzel for zuthrie in 2017? Chapman as the sub 2013? He has a history of making stupid moves that has cost us big games.

I'm looking at our finals record as well. Don't understand the mindset. It's like the team has been told to minimise damage rather that cause the damage.

How would you know if a new voice would result in poor performance? You need to take off your blue and white goggles and see things for what they really are.

I suppose you thought dropping Stanley was a brilliant move too? What about dropping Menzel for zuthrie in 2017? Chapman as the sub 2013? He has a history of making stupid moves that has cost us big games.
Things are the coaching team are amongst the most successful group in the games history in home and away games. Unbelievable record. FACTS.
Stanley has been poor, and i didnt hear the same voices getting angry when he first got dropped. I was hearing the comments with his poor performances.
Menzel, seriously lol. He has been selfish, and been played off. Clubs know they can run off him as he elects not to run and chase.
Chapman 2013 was a poor move.

But seriously are we going to list the credits. Or are they attributed elsewhere.

I liken this to the Wells situation where no one calls out his failures with first rounds picks, but through in accolades for later picks.

Things are the coaching team are amongst the most successful group in the games history in home and away games. Unbelievable record. FACTS.
Stanley has been poor, and i didnt hear the same voices getting angry when he first got dropped. I was hearing the comments with his poor performances.
Menzel, seriously lol. He has been selfish, and been played off. Clubs know they can run off him as he elects not to run and chase.
Chapman 2013 was a poor move.

But seriously are we going to list the credits. Or are they attributed elsewhere.

I liken this to the Wells situation where no one calls out his failures with first rounds picks, but through in accolades for later picks.
You’ve already listed his credits, his “amazing” H+A record. What good is having such a good record there if you can’t win when it matters. It has been proven that in big moments he has failed to inspire the troops.

So knowing what happened in 2017 QF and how we couldn’t score goals you would still play zuthrie over Menzel? Not saying he would’ve won us the game but it shows Scott’s ignorance. Same thing with his Stanley move. If you think people weren’t complaining when Stanley was first dropped then you were listening to the wrong people.

I’m glad you asked! It’s the same every year.

This is the best one. 2015 where you were wrong in the other direction:

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

2019 again:

Constantly predicting the team to regress and miss the finals. Constantly underrating the list. Constantly wrong.

You need to graph the accuracy of cynical's predictions for simple folk like me.........

What good is having such a good record there if you can’t win when it matters.

It's proven to be a good business model for the Geelong Football Club?

Friday night is the most important game for this club in a long, long time though. A loss will cost memberships IMO, along with a call for genuine change. The club knows this, as do the players. I do think the players care for CS, and of course they have egos too, which is why I'm predicting Geelong will get up for this game and win it.

A win V West Coast would be consistent with what we've seen from this club, on several fronts, not just in 2019. I would prefer a loss though, why? Geelong have next to no chance of winning the flag in 2019 - I don't think the players think different, it's the best instigator for change.

L
It's proven to be a good business model for the Geelong Football Club?

Friday night is the most important game for this club in a long, long time though. A loss will cost memberships IMO, along with a call for genuine change. The club knows this, as do the players. I do think the players care for CS, and of course they have egos too, which is why I'm predicting Geelong will get up for this game and win it.

A win V West Coast would be consistent with what we've seen from this club, on several fronts, not just in 2019. I would prefer a loss though, why? Geelong have next to no chance of winning the flag in 2019 - I don't think the players think different, it's the best instigator for change.
i agree, id rather we won the flag, but if we were to lose I’d want it to be this week.

Pressure would finally come on this club, and some changes would hopefully be made.

Simple.

When the opposition are well set up you (they) don’t want to move it quick (risking getting cut up on turnover).

So we’re stuck kicking slow and long down the line. Makes a whole lot of sense when you think about it

Your very cut and dried that Geel ( with the players they have got ) cant play a fast tempo game

Then please explain to me a game last year - round 3 West Coast v Geel over in Perth on a ground with identical measurements to the MCG

At half time it was WC 7 -9 to Geel 2-7 - and it was typical Geel to that stage - nervous apprehensive defensive start - chipped it around - slow motion rubbish

In the 3 rd QTR ( and the sting hadnt gone out of the game at that stage mate ) Geel played fast direct football to Hawkins and Menzel - the Cats kicked 6-3 for the qtr to the Eagles 2 points - they then kicked the opening 2 goals of the last qtr - thus they had kicked 8 goals to nothing - playing an up tempo game - against last years premiers on an MCG size ground

L

i agree, id rather we won the flag, but if we were to lose I’d want it to be this week.

Pressure would finally come on this club, and some changes would hopefully be made.
You don't think beating WCE, who are in form, and last year's Premiers, would be a huge win?
We probably will lose it, as they are the better team all over the ground, but a win would be hugely meritorious.
And we know prelims can be very volatile.
We nearly lost 07, Tigers 2018.
My pov is that the Prelim finals teams are usually the best 4.
Tigers- tick
Pies- tick
I think WCE, GWS but anything could happen.

I might get my extra sprinkles and not so soft serve this Fri night too!! Win, win!

No, in reality, Cameron Guthrie is inconsequential. If there's a player who rides the wave and would never truly be the difference in a final (of all games) it's his mediocre backside.
We missed him Friday night. He kicks the clutch goals more often than not. Will be a welcome inclusion with Stanley, I hope.

You don't think beating WCE, who are in form, and last year's Premiers, would be a huge win?
We probably will lose it, as they are the better team all over the ground, but a win would be hugely meritorious.
And we know prelims can be very volatile.
We nearly lost 07, Tigers 2018.
My pov is that the Prelim finals teams are usually the best 4.
Tigers- tick
Pies- tick
I think WCE, GWS but anything could happen.
Where did I say I didn’t think it would be a big win?

Did beating Sydney in 2017 get us far? No, it just kept memberships high and made our supporters falsely believe we would be better for it next year.

My point is for us to make any changes some pressure will need to come on the club. We won’t get anywhere near as much pressure on the club if we win this week and then lose the PF. Straight sets, as much as it would suck, it would force the club to actually review some of their coaches, and their decisions.

Where did I say I didn’t think it would be a big win?

Did beating Sydney in 2017 get us far? No, it just kept memberships high and made our supporters falsely believe we would be better for it next year.

My point is for us to make any changes some pressure will need to come on the club. We won’t get anywhere near as much pressure on the club if we win this week and then lose the PF. Straight sets, as much as it would suck, it would force the club to actually review some of their coaches, and their decisions.
CS is our coach til 2022. His newest assistants are Scarlett and Enright.
Unless we are able to apply the sort of intense pressure that Collingwood does, decisions are irrelevant. We have not been able to sustain pressure for many years now- to me, it's our players. Just not good enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back