Traded Dougal Howard [traded to St Kilda with Ryder in complex deal]

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Few rumours going around about him and the dogs and Adelaide are interested. Contracted until 2022.

Definitely the kind of player both Adelaide and the Dogs need. I think he couldn’t get into the team at the end of the year.

What would he be worth?

Last edited by a moderator:
A player that played 15/22 games in the year and contracted for three years would start at second round and get more expensive the better the player gets.

If the player isn't in the future plans of the club, and valued accordingly, that's an odd way for the club to show it. Port hasn't had the instability of coaching changes or football manager/list manager changing so a change of the club's position on the player would be quite strange.

So short of a player getting caught white nosed with the coaches daughter or a salary cap planning adjustment, Port would be holding high expectations in any trade.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
A player that played 15/22 games in the year and contracted for three years would start at second round and get more expensive the better the player gets.

If the player isn't in the future plans of the club, and valued accordingly, that's an odd way for the club to show it. Port hasn't had the instability of coaching changes or football manager/list manager changing so a change of the club's position on the player would be quite strange.

So short of a player getting caught white nosed with the coaches daughter or a salary cap planning adjustment, Port would be holding high expectations in any trade.

There was a rumour floating around also that Adelaide were keen on Billy Frampton. He is a non best 22 player and out of contract I believe.

Adelaide have pick 21 so maybe that pick for the 2 of them together could be enough for Port?

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
In reality, there would be no reason for Port to accept anything other than Pick 2 in this hypothetical trade. Now disclaimer, I’m not necessarily saying that Dougal is worth that pick in isolation, but he’s 23, contracted for 3 more years and overall is probably currently the KPP on our list with the most upside. Why on Earth would we let him walk for any less?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In reality, there would be no reason for Port to accept anything other than Pick 2 in this hypothetical trade. Now disclaimer, I’m not necessarily saying that Dougal is worth that pick in isolation, but he’s 23, contracted for 3 more years and overall is probably currently the KPP on our list with the most upside. Why on Earth would we let him walk for any less?
I wouldn't go as far as saying he's worth Pick 2, but he'd definitely warrant a first rounder in a trade at minimum. If you guys got Adelaide's pick 3, then I'd expect you'd be sending something pretty good on the way back

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
I wouldn't go as far as saying he's worth Pick 2, but he'd definitely warrant a first rounder in a trade at minimum. If you guys got Adelaide's pick 3, then I'd expect you'd be sending something pretty good on the way back

Yeah sorry I was referring to Adelaides pick 3, not pick 2.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
There is no way any club gets Howard cheaply.

I dont understand why he does not play every game for you guys. Is good at both ends and about to come into his prime.

A rare player type.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
supposedly North spoke to him and SPP last week. Did see if he stays at Port they will move him forward next year so obviously they plan to keep him. But was dropped a few times so maybe he wants to move

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
supposedly North spoke to him and SPP last week. Did see if he stays at Port they will move him forward next year so obviously they plan to keep him. But was dropped a few times so maybe he wants to move

One of our posters came in to the forum last week cryptically suggesting that Polec and Pittard would be reunited with one of their former teammates this trade window in a "done deal" and eventually he conceded it was Howard. Normally would chalk it down to normal trade talk except North have been really tight lipped this year and the only name I've heard was Howards, a week or so before this poster came in and then the media started dropping his name so who knows, maybe some merit but North ITK's haven't had a good couple of years. Don't know anything about Powell Pepper though unless we're hypothetically working out what our first rounder is worth on the open market.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would be surprised to see Port Power part with him unless the deal was too good to refuse as they don't have a lot in the way of genuine key defenders and Howard looks the best of their bunch. He has not impressed me at all as a forward though.

Was rumoured by a journo the dogs did in fact ask about Dougal a few weeks ago, and Port shut the door pretty quickly.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Was in AA form as a defender earlier in the year and was 2nd only to Harris Andrews for spoils/one percenters last year. Spoils dropped more this year as he became better at intercept marking. Form went to s**t when he was moved forward then dropped and didn’t come back in

As a defender he is absolutely elite and looks primed to be one of the best young key defenders in the league.

As a forward, he’s meh and was why he was dropped.

No idea why our coach has said he wants to play him as a forward next year when he’s as good as Clurey or Jonas as a defender but up forward we should be persisting with a combo of at least 2 of Dixon/Marshall/Frampton.

Would be a huge mistake to get rid of him unless it was a Jake Lever style 2 1st’s trade but no way anyone would do that after seeing the mistake it was for Lever and a lot of clubs/media not pumping Howard up to the extent that Lever was.

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
There is no way any club gets Howard cheaply.

I dont understand why he does not play every game for you guys. Is good at both ends and about to come into his prime.

A rare player type.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Our coach is an inanimate carbon rod that’s why...
BC613975-D4B8-4744-B0C9-23E0640DABC8.jpeg

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was in AA form as a defender earlier in the year and was 2nd only to Harris Andrews for spoils/one percenters last year. Spoils dropped more this year as he became better at intercept marking. Form went to s**t when he was moved forward then dropped and didn’t come back in

As a defender he is absolutely elite and looks primed to be one of the best young key defenders in the league.

No idea why our coach has said he wants to play him as a forward next year when he’s as good as Clurey or Jonas as a defender but up forward we should be persisting with a combo of at least 2 of Dixon/Marshall/Frampton.

Would be a huge mistake to get rid of him unless it was a Jake Lever style 2 1st’s trade but no way anyone would do that after seeing the mistake it was for Lever and a lot of clubs/media not pumping Howard up to the extent that Lever was.
Does not shock me one bit to see multiple clubs coming for Howard. No idea why he's been shifted mid season then dropped. Sometimes it works out moving a player from one end to the other (Naughton, Casboult) but this is one of those times where clearly it hasn't worked, so why on Earth would Hinkley commit to playing him forward next year.

I would hand over our 1st without hesitation, and would gladly throw in steak knives along with it. Doubt he ends up moving considering how many years he has left on his contract, but I'd hope we go hard for him if it's even the slightest bit possible to poach him

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It does seem to be an odd decision to play him forward now.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It does seem to be an odd decision to play him forward now.
Especially when ypu already have Dixon, Marshall, Ryder and Westhoff who can play the 200cm role...plus Lycett in the ruck.

And the defense is Clurey and Howard.

Strange

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs ideal target wouldnt be surprised to see a big contract being put in front of him by us to get him out

Back