List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do people think we'll be using our first round pick in the draft or using it for trade?

From the Herald Sun today it would appear that our 2nd round draft pick (maybe with steak knives or late pick swaps) will be enough to get Bruce. The Saints apparently are only prepared to offer him a one year contract and he's definitely looking for a longer deal elsewhere.

So, first round pick: I wonder if that's what is required to get Jack Martin? I'd be tempted to do it on the basis that we have some great young talent lined up next year with NGA and F/S entrants. Be great if we could get something back for next year's draft as I understand we will need the points to get everything off the smorgesbord that is available to us.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From the Herald Sun today it would appear that our 2nd round draft pick (maybe with steak knives or late pick swaps) will be enough to get Bruce. The Saints apparently are only prepared to offer him a one year contract and he's definitely looking for a longer deal elsewhere.

So, first round pick: I wonder if that's what is required to get Jack Martin? I'd be tempted to do it on the basis that we have some great young talent lined up next year with NGA and F/S entrants. Be great if we could get something back for next year's draft as I understand we will need the points to get everything off the smorgesbord that is available to us.
12 seems overs for Martin so I’d want something decent coming back either this year or next.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have three 3rd rounders this year - our picks are 12, 30, 41, 46, 48

crows have two picks in the 2nd round, 21 and 26

12 + 41 [1680pts] for Keath and 21[878pts] values Keith at 802pts or around pick 23 which I feel is in the ballpark. Depends who the crows think may fall to them at 12 - any SA boys likely?

then we have 21 and 30 with which to secure Martin and Bruce respectively.

Harder to do a similar deal with Suns / Saints as neither has 2nd round picks this year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have three 3rd rounders this year - our picks are 12, 30, 41, 46, 48

crows have two picks in the 2nd round, 21 and 26

12 + 41 [1680pts] for Keath and 21[878pts] values Keith at 802pts or around pick 23 which I feel is in the ballpark. Depends who the crows think may fall to them at 12 - any SA boys likely?

then we have 21 and 30 with which to secure Martin and Bruce respectively.
To be honest, I'd be surprised if Adelaide are the ones to end up with our 1st. I'd imagine the Saints would be pushing for it in a Bruce trade (assuming they find something else to give back through their other trades)

Jake Riccardi top 5 in the VFL competition B&F. Surely has to come under consideration for one of our later picks.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jake Riccardi top 5 in the VFL competition B&F. Surely has to come under consideration for one of our later picks.
I'll be shocked if he's overlooked again. Clearly the best available mature-ager in the VFL. With the success we have seen from picking up Dickson in the state leagues, as well as Redpath having looked promising before his knee issues, surely we'd have a look in

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has anyone seen CCP play recently? What is he like? and would we match him if he lands at 27 where Twomey thinks he will?

Are there any other F/S or NGA that we are likely to take?

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has anyone seen CCP play recently? What is he like? and would we match him if he lands at 27 where Twomey thinks he will?

Are there any other F/S or NGA that we are likely to take?

CCP is a 173cm midfielder/forward, you seem to be confusing him with Cooper Stephens as mentioned above.

What's he like? He's got great attack on the ball and has no trouble finding the ball. Has a decent burst of pace as well. Unfortunately hasn't really developed his forward game to the point where he can find the goals consistently and he's a bit sloppy with his disposal. Personally, I think we'll be able to get him on our Cat B rookie list if we choose to take him. I can't see anybody bidding on him.

Josh Kellet (F/S) is our best chance of making it IMO, late/rookie chance. He's quick and has good foot skills on both sides of his body. Mainly played off half back this season. I like him and I think we should leave a spot open for him. I'd prefer him on the list over Lynch to be honest, not as soft. I've never really been a fan of Lynch though.

Does anyone else get Kerian Collins vibes when it comes to Will Gould?
Gould plays higher up the ground and doesn't have the same queries on his pace.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gould plays higher up the ground and doesn't have the same queries on his pace.
I'd be worried if he wasn't playing league footy but he is a regular and has had some big games too. He has the size to play tall and can play small too, he is physical and can find the footy and has a damaging kick.

More like Jake Lever than Kieren Collins imo.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Basing player's draft range on some of the more popular power rankings, and assuming we lose Pick 30 for Bruce (with the remainder of our trade expenses coming from players/future picks), I'd hope we can pick the following players in these ranges:

Pick 12: Fischer McAsey, but he's probably gone by this pick. Otherwise,
Dylan Stephens. He's basically Lachie Hunter but with a decent kick. Has similar weaknesses though (no right foot, not the strongest body, not damaging enough by foot)

Pick 41:
Jake Riccardi (195cm, mature ager, best available KPF in the draft)

Pick 46:
Ben Sokol (mature ager, Tory Dickson replacement)

Pick 48:
Dyson Hilder (196cm, assuming we don't take McAsey, looks like one of the better KPDs in the draft. Has swung forward at times and not looked completely out of depth, but seems destined for a KPD role)

Last year, we took:
  • Inside/Outside mid (Smith)
  • Inside mid (West)
  • Small forward (Cavarra)
  • Outside mid/flanker (Vandermeer)
  • Outside mid (Hayes)
  • Rebounding defender (Young)
  • Ruckman (Sweet)
A shitload of midfielders, with tons of speed there. The players I picked for this year kept that in mind, with me feeling that our outside mid stocks from recent years aren't that great (Hayes may not make it, Smith looks better on the inside, Vandermeer probably ends up on a flank). I wanted to take Stephens to help fill the role of a decent user on the outside, basically getting us another Hunter but with better ball usage (although not the most damaging). In all likelihood, we just take best available. Unfortunately, that may end up meaning another inside mid.

I wanted us to use the 3rd rounders on addressing some of the bigger needs on our list.
  • KPF
  • KPD
  • Medium forward that can play small. Sokol has played as both the primary target up forward (very good overhead) while being small enough to be able to compete for the ground ball. Seems to have huge scope and could be a fantastic replacement for Dickson.
I realise that in all likelihood, we won't have this many live draft picks. We already extended Lachie Young so he probably won't be upgraded. We look like bringing in Bruce and potentially Keath. With only Boyd, Picken and Morris the confirmed outs, we need to bring at least 3 live picks to the draft, and I think it's most likely that we stick with that minimum. At least 2 more players need to be moved out, which probably ends up being some combination of Roberts (delisted) and Williams (traded), with Webb being rookied.

Honestly, looking at who is likely to be available around our Pick 12, I think I'd rather us either trade down to the end of first round/start of second, or entirely trade it out. There's nothing really of interest at that range without getting really lucky, or reaching

Last edited:

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Basing player's draft range on some of the more popular power rankings, and assuming we lose Pick 30 for Bruce (with the remainder of our trade expenses coming from players/future picks), I'd hope we can pick the following players in these ranges:

Pick 12: Fischer McAsey, but he's probably gone by this pick. Otherwise,
Dylan Stephens. He's basically Lachie Hunter but with a decent kick. Has similar weaknesses though (no right foot, not the strongest body, not damaging enough by foot)

Pick 41:
Jake Riccardi (195cm, mature ager, best available KPF in the draft)

Pick 46:
Ben Sokol (mature ager, Tory Dickson replacement)

Pick 48:
Dyson Hilder (196cm, assuming we don't take McAsey, looks like one of the better KPDs in the draft. Has swung forward at times and not looked completely out of depth, but seems destined for a KPD role)

Last year, we took:
  • Inside/Outside mid (Smith)
  • Inside mid (West)
  • Small forward (Cavarra)
  • Outside mid/flanker (Vandermeer)
  • Outside mid (Hayes)
  • Rebounding defender (Young)
  • Ruckman (Sweet)
A s**tload of midfielders, with tons of speed there. The players I picked for this year kept that in mind, with me feeling that our outside mid stocks from recent years aren't that great (Hayes may not make it, Smith looks better on the inside, Vandermeer probably ends up on a flank). I wanted to take Stephens to help fill the role of a decent user on the outside, basically getting us another Hunter but with better ball usage (although not the most damaging). In all likelihood, we just take best available. Unfortunately, that may end up meaning another inside mid.

I wanted us to use the 3rd rounders on addressing some of the bigger needs on our list.
  • KPF
  • KPD
  • Medium forward that can play small. Sokol has played as both the primary target up forward (very good overhead) while being small enough to be able to compete for the ground ball. Seems to have huge scope and could be a fantastic replacement for Dickson.
I realise that in all likelihood, we won't have this many live draft picks. We already extended Lachie Young so he probably won't be upgraded. We look like bringing in Bruce and potentially Keath. With only Boyd, Picken and Morris the confirmed outs, we need to bring at least 3 live picks to the draft, and I think it's most likely that we stick with that minimum. At least 2 more players need to be moved out, which probably ends up being some combination of Roberts (delisted) and Williams (traded), with Webb being rookied.

Honestly, looking at who is likely to be available around our Pick 12, I think I'd rather us either trade down to the end of first round/start of second, or entirely trade it out. There's nothing really of interest at that range without getting really lucky, or reaching
If were to take pick 12 into the draft and our man be taken before that (mcasey or otherwise) I'd be keen to split it for a couple mid/late 20s
Would love one of the smalls around that stage plus a player like sharp or even de koning

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West coast transformed their flailing forward line with two mature aged players in rioli and liam ryan. They are a good example that there are very strong mature aged prospects floating around the state leagues, particularly in the small forward position. I hope we are considering a few!

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West coast transformed their flailing forward line with two mature aged players in rioli and liam ryan. They are a good example that there are very strong mature aged prospects floating around the state leagues, particularly in the small forward position. I hope we are considering a few!
Especially with the age demographic of Tory Dickson and Sam Lloyd who both kicked the ton at lower levels
for Noble Park and Deniliquin. There will be a few taken from the lower leagues as it is not the deepest
draft we have seen for awhile.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Especially with the age demographic of Tory Dickson and Sam Lloyd who both kicked the ton at lower levels
for Noble Park and Deniliquin. There will be a few taken from the lower leagues as it is not the deepest
draft we have seen for awhile.
I hope we look at anthony scott!

Back