My fears of making the Grand Final

It just seems to me that Collingwood fans have always paid a much bigger price than any other team's supporters when it comes to heartbreak on the last day of the season.
True, but if you flip it we have probably made more Grand Finals than any other team during that period as well.

I understand the sentiments here. However, I do like to cherish the joy than fear the heartbreak. No doubt it is difficult to swallow, but how exhilarating were the PF win last, even the win last week and if you want to go there, the first 3 quarters of the GF. We were good, pretty damn good.

I'd prefer us to be doing that all the time and take the punt on the last Saturday of September.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
The biggest shame for me, is that we won't get a shot at Brissy for 2002/03 redemption. Yes exactly, they were a team of absolute superstars, and this time around, the shoe is on the other foot. A preliminary final won't be enough for me, since I sat through 2003, and it was like someone came through and piddled in your wheaties. They were less than humble about it, and as a result, success didn't last! I suppose I'll have to be happy taking it out on the Tigers, since the Gov and his men aren't capable of holding a four goal lead at the MCG. They are only ever capable of retrieving them :mad:

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Embrace the pain.

Believe me.

'Success is the ability to go from failure-to-failure without losing your enthusiasm'

Nice one LP.

So much pessimism here, that disrespects the sweat and toil of the players in making Grand Finals.
Six months of effort, sacrifice and commitment by our boys deserves unwavering positive support.

Waving the white flag is NOT an option for supporters - we must be better than that.

Take a holiday, join a commune, enjoy the a yoga retreat.

We don’t need you - the rest of us have got this.

Or you can dump your negativity and join us.

Side by Side.

Last edited:
If Sidey can come back from a ruptured testicle and be BOG in a big final then surely we can endure whatever comes our way?

I understand the feelings of dread, but you can't win it if you're not in it as has been said many times earlier in this thread.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I came to the conclusion when we lost Cox on top of all our other injury issues that we'd reached a tipping point and would be unlikely to go all the way this year. Means I've gone into every game since with lower expectations.

gappa

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have the solution to solve this problem.

I have only been lucky enough to attend one grand final, the 2010 replay, which of course we won.

So every grand final I attend we win.

So all that is needed is for Eddy to give me a grand final ticket and she’ll be apples!

Eddy, happy for you to PM if you don’t want this to be public.

Cheers.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Losing to Richmond in the Grand Final would be unbearable, there’d have to be a lot of blocking on social media and just flat out avoiding the cricket club.

On the positive side, beating them in a Grand Final would be oh so sweet!

I’d rather play West Coast again though, at least then everyone who gives you s**t you can say your team didn’t do any better! But I expect Geelong to beat them then get trounced by the Tigers

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood
Losing to Richmond in the Grand Final would be unbearable, there’d have to be a lot of blocking on social media and just flat out avoiding the cricket club.

On the positive side, beating them in a Grand Final would be oh so sweet!

I’d rather play West Coast again though, at least then everyone who gives you s**t you can say your team didn’t do any better! But I expect Geelong to beat them then get trounced by the Tigers

Geel are certainties against eagles this week. It is 36 years since a minor premier went out in straight sets, and that ain't about to change. But don't fear, because they will then take Rich out in the prelim

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tips for making through the finals period without emotional scars:

1. Avoid making outrageous predictions. Wear your colours, speak positively about the team but just avoid "we'll smash you" stuff. Being low-key before the game doesn't mean you can't go for the jugular if we should win the flag. Although it wasn't a final, went to the Eagles Pies match and was sitting in a stand of eagles members. Everyone knew I was a Pies supporter but I didnt bother to react to this young guy who was sitting beside me who spent all night trashing the Pies. However, at the end, I stood up and said some choice words about the Eagles being weak pieces of crap ( anyone swearing at Eagles games is sent to prison) and then sang every rendition of the Pies theme and added a couple of my own while turned around facing the masses. In fact, I would argue that politeness during the game makes an over the top display after the game more effective...... and if you dont win, you can leave the area asap.

2. Bet on the opposing team in the grand final. I bet on st.kilda in 2010 and got my money back and went again in the second week. I lost the bet of course....oh dear oh dear. If the saints had won, I planned to spend the winnings on alcohol. If you've got the money bet big on our grand final opponent and use the winnings to leave the country if they win ...

3. Don't get your hopes up if we're in front. The trick here is to remain balanced. The pie supporter who was watching the geelong game with me, kept on saying that he preferred to be in the Pies position than Geelong's - looking at me for support. Early in the game, it was ok but he was still saying it with 5 minutes to go. I mean the guy is suffering severely from post 2018 grand final blues. Just keep a lid on it until Dougie Barwick kicks the goal and Leigh walks down from the coaches box.
And I'll repeat what I said last year - they really should get rid of that "oh the premiership's a cakewalk".
IT's not out of the question that that line by its subconscious effect caused one or more of those GF losses.

johncitizen

Cancelled
May 22, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
True, but if you flip it we have probably made more Grand Finals than any other team during that period as well.

I understand the sentiments here. However, I do like to cherish the joy than fear the heartbreak. No doubt it is difficult to swallow, but how exhilarating were the PF win last, even the win last week and if you want to go there, the first 3 quarters of the GF. We were good, pretty damn good.

I'd prefer us to be doing that all the time and take the punt on the last Saturday of September.
If you do the Math we have played in 1/3 of all GF's ever played.
Phenomanal statistic
That's one in every three.

Collingwood has played in a record 44 VFL/AFL Grand Finals(including rematches), winning 15, drawing two and losing 27 (also a record). Collingwoodalso won VFL/AFL record fourpremierships in a row between 1927 and 1930.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
And I'll repeat what I said last year - they really should get rid of that "oh the premiership's a cakewalk".
IT's not out of the question that that line by its subconscious effect caused one or more of those GF losses.
You do know they did for maybe one year in the 80s, swapping in the line, "There is just one team we favour". We missed the finals.

Soaring Magpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only way of getting over the sheer disappointment of last years result is to have another crack this year.
The side looks totally focused on making every moment count this year, they will be hard to stop. It would be oh so sweet to hold that cup up in just over 2 weeks time.
Embrace the next couple of weeks

Tips for making through the finals period without emotional scars:

1. Avoid making outrageous predictions. Wear your colours, speak positively about the team but just avoid "we'll smash you" stuff. Being low-key before the game doesn't mean you can't go for the jugular if we should win the flag. Although it wasn't a final, went to the Eagles Pies match and was sitting in a stand of eagles members. Everyone knew I was a Pies supporter but I didnt bother to react to this young guy who was sitting beside me who spent all night trashing the Pies. However, at the end, I stood up and said some choice words about the Eagles being weak pieces of crap ( anyone swearing at Eagles games is sent to prison) and then sang every rendition of the Pies theme and added a couple of my own while turned around facing the masses. In fact, I would argue that politeness during the game makes an over the top display after the game more effective...... and if you dont win, you can leave the area asap.

2. Bet on the opposing team in the grand final. I bet on st.kilda in 2010 and got my money back and went again in the second week. I lost the bet of course....oh dear oh dear. If the saints had won, I planned to spend the winnings on alcohol. If you've got the money bet big on our grand final opponent and use the winnings to leave the country if they win ...

3. Don't get your hopes up if we're in front. The trick here is to remain balanced. The pie supporter who was watching the geelong game with me, kept on saying that he preferred to be in the Pies position than Geelong's - looking at me for support. Early in the game, it was ok but he was still saying it with 5 minutes to go. I mean the guy is suffering severely from post 2018 grand final blues. Just keep a lid on it until Dougie Barwick kicks the goal and Leigh walks down from the coaches box.

4. Don’t even think about us being in the GF unless we qualify

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your words sound persuasive but they don't change how I feel. I love this club as deeply as anyone could possibly imagine. Five generations of my family have been born into the black and white. The Pies are a huge part of our lives. My brother and I used to go back to Vic Park in recent years and sit in the Sherrin Stand and reflect on the glory days when we sat with our dad on the wing and roared ourselves hoarse as our boys stormed home.

My home is more like a museum dedicated to the Collingwood Football Club. I have five season tickets dating back to 1897, 1898. 1899, 1900 and 1901. framed and hanging on my wall. They were passed on to me by my dear dad. I have a piece of a seat from the Sherrin stand hanging on a beam above our kitchen bench. I could go on. I have other framed pictures all over the walls in our living room. My book shelves have a large section put aside for my veritable library of books about Collingwood.

Of course I lived through the days of the dreaded "colliwobbles". I don't care if we lost all those grand finals because we choked or simply because we weren't good enough. All I remember is the pain and grief attached to those losses. Maybe I just feel things more deeply than some. I've heard many people say they weren't too upset after losing last year's grand final because it was a great season and we played really well. I find this attitude quiet unbelievable. I was shattered. The chance to have what had been an incredible year capped with a flag which would immortalize Bucks and forever be there in the history books snatched from us in the final minute after a series of football flukes which could never be repeated in a season of footy played by the Eagles is as bitter a pill as an footy fan should be expected to swallow. We were two minutes away from the greatest premiership victory in our club's history. I could have lived off the DVD of that final series and the associated books for the rest of my days. But no, just when I dared to dream after those two inspiring goals at the start of the last term (which had me embracing my son as well as total strangers) the gods once again said -oh no you don't, Collingwood don't win close grand finals-not ever.

So when I have endured this feeling on countless occasions I am entitled to state that I fear experiencing that pain again. I am not scared of any team. I am scared of the searing heartbreak-especially if it is another close one which turns on an umpire's decision or a bad bounce.

Of course I will be there. Of course I will scream my lungs out. I will endure the prelim and then hopefully another grand final. I just thought I could express what I was feeling with my Collingwood brothers and sisters as a way of coping with the gnawing anxiety.
Sounds like PTSD

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

I agree with that. It should be replaced by a commitment to hard work or side by side stuff. Buckley spoke about the arrogance. Those words dont help

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
4. Don’t even think about us being in the GF unless we qualify

well dont speak about it at least. Supporters should talk about how the team hopes to improve, stuff like that....one week at a time, yada yada...

I'll tell you something about online polls. I never ever ever pump up the Pies on those polls. I always pick another team for the grand final. I always pick a player from another team to win the brownlow or any other award. I just dont see the point in picking the Pies and putting pressure on them. Who cares if the team isnt the favourites going into the grand final??? I couldnt give a rats arse whether david king has kittens.

I'm a big believer in the "Jack the Ripper" strategy. You do the deed. Everyone sees the results afterwards but you fade back into the shadows and await your next opportunity....

Prestigerrycomo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
The eurphoric joy I had watching on a computer in Milan Italy in 2010....I ran into the streets so ecstatic I rekcon I was almost run over....I can't remember!
20 years since 1990 (when I was barely 6 years old not nearly understanding what that event meant to so many)

Sure the lows are low, but what I would give to experience that again.

Prestigerrycomo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe it is only BF Richmond fans. I know several Richmond fans and none are like the BF tribe.
My father who passed away many years ago went to nearly every Richmond game. Never once did I hear any arr0gance or Pies hatred. In fact, he quite liked the Pies. Maybe it was because his sister married Jack Regan's brother, so we have the family connection.

The Richmond fans on BF are an embarrassment to supporters like most Richmond fans I have known. Because of my father, I have a soft spot for the Tigers.
Can agree with that,

I have cousins who are related to Roger Dean (other side of their family) so felt nothing but joy for them.

I even posted a thread on the tigers BF board in 2017 congratulating them on the win (i mean 37 years I respected that).

But since....if the 37 years didn't humble them nothing will

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon the line was coined with a wink and a grin in true larrikin spirit and was meant to be sung that way after a victory.
When the line gets thrown back at us if we lose acknowledge it with a wink and a chuckle and congratulate the opposition. No problem.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
If you do the Math we have played in 1/3 of all GF's ever played.
Phenomanal statistic
That's one in every three.

Collingwood has played in a record 44 VFL/AFL Grand Finals(including rematches), winning 15, drawing two and losing 27 (also a record). Collingwoodalso won VFL/AFL record fourpremierships in a row between 1927 and 1930.
Doesn’t matter which way you look at it
It is an appalling strike rate

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
Similar boat.

But assuming we make the Grand Final I’ll say this...

If we win it this year, we’re going back to back 100%. If we lose it again, we’ll never win a Premiership while Bucks is coach.

To say that with any confidence rather the superstition, you'd have to pinpoint reasons that are coaching related in the second loss. Don't know if any of us can be that confident.

Back