Toast Vale Danny Frawley.

Remove this Banner Ad

lots of younger people might remember him as the funny guy that he was in the media . But he played full back in a time when champion full forwards like Dunstall , Ablett Snr and even wandered out and played on Dermie . He rarely had many goals kicked on him and i remember Plugger saying he was glad Spud played for the Saints so he didnt have to play on him , apparently he had enough of just training against him. As full backs go he wasnt as flash as SOS or guys like that but they all were great defenders for their teams . I watched him play alot and early in his career he was in the play alot mainly because the rest of the team were so poor . I was glad he got some success when Plugger and Harvys and those guys started to play for us. No matter the time of the game or the score he always defended like it was the final seconds of a grand final and his side was a point up . He never gave in . A true champion on the field and off . Always ready with a smile for any fan from any team . Just the selection of footy fans from other teams on this thread show how well liked he was.
A sad day for everyone.

Tough start to the day. Reading the paper on train and the tears started flowing.
Danny had such a big legacy at StKilda that it feels like losing an Uncle or a friend .

As well as his feats on the footy field I will never forget the belly laughs watching the Bounce
images (25).jpeg
If your feeling sad then just look at that pic.
You can't help smiling.

Thanks for the memories Spud.

He loved the club with all his heart and will always hold a special place in ours. Rest in peace Spud.

This is why Spud was so adored by supporters... he was one of us. He loved the club, celebrated the small wins and you could see how much the bad times hurt him too.

He wasn't just a former player who still barracked for the Saints... he was OUR voice in the media.

We've so sadly lost that voice.

I'm just so utterly sad.

My Saints scarf will be out the window driving to work this morning as a tiny tribute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every Sunday the family and I watch the Bounce. My kids love it and they loved Danny. I met him once and he showed a genuine interest in me and the family.

He was a great St Kilda player and person.

Condolences to his family and friends and to all Saints.

RIP Danny 'Spud' Frawley.

:'(

My old man once explained to me at the family dinner table that since laughter is contagious, if you are unafraid to laugh wholeheartedly then you can actually make others happier in the moment.

‘Laughter’ he used to tell me, ‘is the ultimate generosity. And even when you have nothing to give, you can still fill a room with joy by simply laughing with your friends’

Danny Frawley’s generosity, in this sense, was boundless. His infectious laugh filled the world around him, including our own households.

Not only has St Kilda’s voice diminished with his passing, but every Sainters smile is smaller now than it was yesterday.

Beautifully put 😢

Know it won't be recognised but Danny was the first tough Aussie male role model I can remember crying in public. While it might never have the impact of an act like Winmar's, he was strong enough to show his feelings in a very public way. Now it's normalised but it was big back in those days. He was passionate and that's what endeared him to everyone from all clubs. He didn't hide anything, he was real.

lots of younger people might remember him as the funny guy that he was in the media . But he played full back in a time when champion full forwards like Dunstall , Ablett Snr and even wandered out and played on Dermie . He rarely had many goals kicked on him and i remember Plugger saying he was glad Spud played for the Saints so he didnt have to play on him , apparently he had enough of just training against him. As full backs go he wasnt as flash as SOS or guys like that but they all were great defenders for their teams . I watched him play alot and early in his career he was in the play alot mainly because the rest of the team were so poor . I was glad he got some success when Plugger and Harvys and those guys started to play for us. No matter the time of the game or the score he always defended like it was the final seconds of a grand final and his side was a point up . He never gave in . A true champion on the field and off . Always ready with a smile for any fan from any team . Just the selection of footy fans from other teams on this thread show how well liked he was.
A sad day for everyone.
Very well said. Great post.

Such sad news. He still had so much to give the world being only 56 years young... My condolences to everyone impacted by his loss.

Such devastating tragic news.

Sincerest heartfelt condolences to Danny's family & friends the St Kilda Football Club and the entire Saints footy family.

Devastating for the St Kilda Football Club and the wider AFL community.

Danny was much loved and respected by all and will be sadly missed.

Gone way too soon.

RIP Spud :sob:

was very sad about this all afternoon and into today. got worse when I was telling my guys at work just who he was. he was stkilda. we have bugger all trophies or anything to celebrate as far as winning but we have people like Danny Frawley . people who are winners themselves and elevate themselves higher despite not having medals or trophies but through their character and resilience . my god if the way it is being reported ( which I think is terrible especially the channel 9 show last night) is true then I feel terrible for how Danny must have felt. I met Danny once last year with my kids as we were leaving the club and as we were walking out the glass front door Danny came past. we were introduced to him shook his hand and I asked my boys do you recognise this bloke. they said yeah from the tv. I said yes but also he was captain for 177 games and much more than the bloke on tv. sadly those very glass doors are the same where the memorial is now set up.

I don't care if we don't win another flag as long as we continue to have heroes like Spud and Barks .

every year someone gets a cup. not everyone has a Spud or Barks

we are stkilda

RIP DANNY THANK YOU

This terrible news greeted me in the morning, felt like a huge punch in the gut.

I loved watching Danny at Moorrabbin. Him and Plugger kept the whole show running back in those days where every win felt like the grand final. He was tough and honest, what else could you ask for?

I think Danny typifies the larrakin Aussie, always having a laugh and taking the piss. He sure brought a whole lottta joy to many people.

He also said something quite profound that I still use in my work today. As a coach of men, and as a coach of women, he made some good observations. He was surrounded by women being the only male in a household with 4 women. He said that when coaching women he noticed that they tend to 'internalize criticism', where men just tend to shrug it off. There is much wisdom here especially in our relationships to the women and girls we love, don't criticize as women may not distinguish the thing being criticized from the person.

Others have mentioned already, if you need to talk-TALK. Men tend to carry the whole world on their shoulders, but talking actually lessens the load. Tears are pain leaving the body. So have a cry, talk to a mate, record your thoughts here-get it out. It's called grief, loss, pain, hurt, anguish, sorrow, disbelief, agony...they are all emotions and a part of life. Death is a part of life.

Thanks Danny to being so authentic and showing us blokes how to be better men. I will miss you-you left your mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back