News RIP - Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Never read about his struggles. Came across as the happy larrikin who was likeable and personable. Don't think there was a bad bone in his body. Was one of the few coaches who didn't really hold a grudge about his departure. Saw him at a Collingwood practice game with his scribes from Richmond in 2001, said to my bro this guys charasmatic, happy -easy going dewd full of laughs.

Condolences to all those close to him or knew him on a personal level. A big loss. RIP

Jeff Kennett tweeted something along the lines of not being able to save him , so it sounds that way.

Either way - it's hit a lot of us pretty hard , which is a measure of how highly he was regarded.
Unfortunately media reports this morning have expanded on the possible mindset of Frawley at this time.

Vale Spud. Hell of a nice bloke (unless you were trying to mark a footy in front of him). Had battled adversity and looked to have overcome. The world is a sadder more dour place today without the larger than life personality bringing colour.

Media scumbags. I'm not sure that the things he confided to family and friends need to be in the paper today. The journo is a low-life.
The marriage and financial struggles absolutely did not need to be in the article but the rest of the article needs to be written.. I spoke to a distant family member today and she said it was shocking but not surprising. They were all quite aware of his struggles. Depression needs to be treated and unfortunately so many people still try and hide it. Danny did not try and hide it and he got treatment but he still couldn't cope. if one person is saved by the article today then its worth writing the article.

Very sorry to have lost one of the good ones.

Thank you for your contributions at Collingwood and to the AFL, but more importantly thank you for all of your wonderful work championing men’s health. You’ll be missed.

RIP :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if i was a footballer and I was nearing death, I would write a note just before I died that AFL 360 shouldn't even mention my death...... just so mark robinson didnt talk about me.

Yep i find Le Grande pretty much a ruthless hack who puts the "scoop" above anything and anyone. This was totally uncalled for. benefits no one.

Apparently his personal issues were well known in media circles, yet large fries has to be the one to “break the back story”, it’s an exercise in egotism, being “first” with the back story.

Still crying after watching Lyon and Dunstall on Fox.

Well done to Whately great interview.

RIP Spud, so sad for all his family and all his fans as well, the outpouring has been widespread and very heartfelt. He will be missed

Still crying after watching Lyon and Dunstall on Fox.

Well done to Whately great interview.

Geez that was hard to watch, i watched it in the office on my break just before and it wasn't the best decision i've made..

Strange how we are so emotionally invested in people we most likely have never met or will likely meet. It's the spirit of our great game that pulses through every fan.

And Spud contributed a hell of a lot to the game we all love and it sucks he is no longer with us.

A lot has been said about danny during the week. it seems to me that much of the authentic stuff was provided by members of the public calling in to the media. People like Mark Robinson had me feeling that we should all just move on. That was until Gary Lyon made his appearance last night. If you ever wanted to feel a connection with Danny, you only had to listen to Gary. It was real. It was honest. It involved both good and bad. You got a real sense of what it was like to know Danny - something that hours of television earlier in the week failed to provide. Some of it for good reason - Stewart Loewe and Rob Harvey's speeches at the Saints BF were reflections by a couple of friends who were representing a generation of players. It was heartfelt but they were prepared speeches and something was lost because of it. So well done to Gary from me. When I kick the bucket, I hope to have someone around to talk about me like you have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back