Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It would have been handy having a few older heads and bigger bodies like Libba, Wallis and Trengove in the team, instead of players like West, Richards and Young.

But, like 2015, our players, especially the kids, will have learned quite a lot from that loss.

If you could head into battle with one player on our list, Bailey Smith would be right up there. What he lacks in a mature body, he more than makes up for with his will at the contest and his instinct to get stuck in for his teammates. He’s the air to Libba’s throne and an absolute gun to boot.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At one stage a view of the forward line showed Lloyd, Schache, McLean, West and Bailey Dale. (I leave out Naughton, thought he was ok). Did any of those other than Naughton get a kick???? Stats guys there is no need for you to respond it is a rhetorical question. I know they each got a couple of kicks. I am making the point that they didn’t get many.

PS I have done my second 180 degree turn on my opinion of Bailey Dale. Seems I was right the first time.

At one stage a view of the forward line showed Lloyd, Schache, McLean, West and Bailey Dale. (I leave out Naughton, thought he was ok). Did any of those other than Naughton get a kick???? Stats guys there is no need for you to respond it is a rhetorical question. I know they each got a couple of kicks. I am making the point that they didn’t get many.

PS I have done my second 180 degree turn on my opinion of Bailey Dale. Seems I was right the first time.
why would you judge dale on a single game where our midfield got slaughtered and ignore the rest of the season he played?

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
why would you judge dale on a single game where our midfield got slaughtered and ignore the rest of the season he played?

"The season he played" ?????? I would argue he had a very good six weeks but to say he was good all season is a bit of a stretch. Was the second half of the season his true form or was the first half the true Bailey Dale?

Dale's stats - 4 kicks 1 tackle. ONE tackle. Yes the midfield got slaughtered. But how does that justify one tackle.? I posted earlier that the mids getting beaten does not justify lack of effort by others.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
My biggest concern going into the game :
M Boyd , Moz , Smith , Libber , Picken scattered across the lines in our last tilt.
All these blokes have a fair bit in common. Not the silkiest footballers going around , but have plenty to say no backward steps amongst that lot.

"The season he played" ?????? I would argue he had a very good six weeks but to say he was good all season is a bit of a stretch. Was the second half of the season his true form or was the first half the true Bailey Dale?

Dale's stats - 4 kicks 1 tackle. ONE tackle. Yes the midfield got slaughtered. But how does that justify one tackle.? I posted earlier that the mids getting beaten does not justify lack of effort by others.
You've done a u-turn on him based on his good play throughout the season, i'm just questioning the logic of doing another u-turn based on 1 game where the whole team was down.

The way our team plays, the forward line output is always going to be tied into how well our midfield performs. Hard to judge the front 6 when we got so comprehensively beaten around the ball.

Like most of our list, Dale has things to work on but wouldn't be putting a line through him based on this game.

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

... I FEEL SO STRONGLY ABOUT THIS!!! that I'm flip flopping on my views once again, based of one game at that.

asdasddddd.jpg
asdasddddd1.jpg

Dale certainly has some weaknesses and can go missing at times but he showed in his late season H&A form that he can bring something special. Lots of players kick a once-in-career bag of 4 or 5 (remember Tutt?) but he has now done that 4 times in 50 games. Not every player has to be a contested bull - that's not his game.

He had a couple of shockers against North and Carlton in mid-season and was duly punished with a return to the VFL where he had to prove himself again.

His subsequent run of goal-scoring games up to Rd 23 exceeded my expectations. Chances are he still has a bit of improvement in him too, especially in terms of confidence and consistency. He doesn't turn 24 until half way through next season.

Every team can do with a downhill skiing player or two, someone who kick bags against the weaker teams to boost percentage, which makes a difference in a close season. Stringer did that quite well in 2015-16 and Dale can do that for us now. He's not perfect, but good value for pick 45.

A1Delivers

Rookie
Jun 4, 2019
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given a lesson in finals footy today. Our young boys will learn a hell of a lot.

For as much credit as our midfield gets they deserve some criticism today. Could not get the ball going forward for us and were monstered by Hopper and Taranto.

The opposition were good today but I cant see them going much further. They played their GF today.

Shout out to our skipper. Thought he was magnificent today and deserves the position for at least another year.
seriously, wood has played 3 reasonable games this season, if he wasn't captain he'sd on been dropped time for change Bontempelli Captain Dunkley Vice....... end of story

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Every team can do with a downhill skiing player or two, someone who kick bags against the weaker teams to boost percentage, which makes a difference in a close season. Stringer did that quite well in 2015-16 and Dale can do that for us now. He's not perfect, but good value for pick 45.
We had such low inside 50’s that Peter Hudson would have struggled in our forward line on Saturday. Got to give Dale an out on Saturday’s game.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We had such low inside 50’s that Peter Hudson would have struggled in our forward line on Saturday. Got to give Dale an out on Saturday’s game.
Yeah getting smashed out of the middle was the problem.

Our big three need more support. Libba, Wallis and (with another preseason or two) West offer some serious hardness and ball winning ability so we will hopefully do better next year.

Trengove was really good in the ruck at times in the last game v Giants and would have flown the flag a lot better.

Our ‘16 side had Libba, Smith, Morris, Dahlhaus, Dickson, Boyd and Roughead all supporting Bont and Macrae around the ball at times. Have great memories of Smith and Boyd laying players flat in the finals.

Another six months in the gym and some boxing classes might help.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah getting smashed out of the middle was the problem.

Our big three need more support. Libba, Wallis and (with another preseason or two) West offer some serious hardness and ball winning ability so we will hopefully do better next year.

Trengove was really good in the ruck at times in the last game v Giants and would have flown the flag a lot better.

Our ‘16 side had Libba, Smith, Morris, Dahlhaus, Dickson, Boyd and Roughead all supporting Bont and Macrae around the ball at times. Have great memories of Smith and Boyd laying players flat in the finals.

Another six months in the gym and some boxing classes might help.
And you forgot Picken, tough as nails.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
seriously, wood has played 3 reasonable games this season, if he wasn't captain he'sd on been dropped time for change Bontempelli Captain Dunkley Vice....... end of story
I strongly disagree. He was forced to play as our 2nd kpd in the first 6 weeks as Bevo refused to play Trengove and did a bloody good job.

People keep expecting the 2015/16 version of Easton but those days are over. He was a 4th 'tall' defender/interceptor helping off his man to cover Hamling/Roberts/Moz. With injuries and retirements we/he no longer have that luxury.

His defensive work in the back half of the year was a key component to our surge up the ladder and his intercept possessions and marking was as good as anyone, including Crozier.

I'll admit that his kicking has become a liability but again i thought he cleaned that up significantly in the second half of the year.

I thought he had a really solid year considering the different role he was asked to play.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I strongly disagree. He was forced to play as our 2nd kpd in the first 6 weeks as Bevo refused to play Trengove and did a bloody good job.

People keep expecting the 2015/16 version of Easton but those days are over. He was a 4th 'tall' defender/interceptor helping off his man to cover Hamling/Roberts/Moz. With injuries and retirements we/he no longer have that luxury.

His defensive work in the back half of the year was a key component to our surge up the ladder and his intercept possessions and marking was as good as anyone, including Crozier.

I'll admit that his kicking has become a liability but again i thought he cleaned that up significantly in the second half of the year.

I thought he had a really solid year considering the different role he was asked to play.
Might need to learn to play within his limitations a bit more - ran himself into trouble a bit - but his finish to the year was good.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Might need to learn to play within his limitations a bit more - ran himself into trouble a bit - but his finish to the year was good.
Thats just it...looks as if we want him to play the Morris role. Do what Dale did Easton and get it to the closest and safest option!

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

NB> Unfortunately centre clearances will no longer be featured as they're no longer available for free. The AFL in their infinite wisdom (possibly Champion Data's suggestion?) have cut in roughly half the free stats available via their new match centre (kicking efficiency is another key stat that is back behind the CD pay-wall).

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

Macrae 24
Hunter 24 wing
Dunkley 23
Bont 19 x de Boer 20
Richards 15 wing
Lipinski 14 (9i, 5w)
Hayes 11 wing
B.Smith 7
McLean 2
Lloyd 1 wing

Rucks:
English 25
Schache 3

Q1 - 6

Macrae 5
Hunter 5 wing
Dunkley 5
Bont 5 wing
Hayes 4 wing
Richards 3 wing
Lipinski 2
B.Smith 1

English 6
Schache 1

Q2 - 7

Macrae 6
Hunter 6 wing
Dunkley 6
Richards 4 wing
Lipinski 4
Hayes 3 wing
B.Smith 3
Bont 2
Lloyd 1 wing

English 6
Schache 1

Q3 - 9

Macrae 8
Bont 8
Hunter 7 wing
Dunkley 7
Richards 6 wing
Lipinski 5 wing
B.Smith 3
McLean 1

English 8
Schache 1

Q4 - 6

Hunter 6 wing
Macrae 5
Dunkley 5
Bont 4
Hayes 4 wing
Lipinski 3
Richards 2 wing
McLean 1

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

So you’re writing off Bailey dale because he was 1 of 20 bulldogs who didn’t play well. Even though he played a huge role in getting us to finals by kicking 20 goals in 7 games. And 5 goals to book our ticket into finals the previous game? What a genius you are.

Back