Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
time to move past them, they are not going to sign anytime soon then we start planning for the future. We have campbell who is a physically superior ruckman. While he is not as mobile, he will be more suited to our blue collar midfield. Also this will make Larkey to play more secondary ruck duty and Daw if he ever gets back into fitness.
I'm not quite sure why you would want potentially our best forward playing more time in the ruck:think:

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Same words precisely being said about Gaff this time a year ago.
This is different.
Gaff felt an obligation to stay because he let them down and they supported him through the aftermath. Plus he was part of a bloody strong premiership winning list which showed no signs of regressing.

If Goldy's is getting a better offer at the Cats then I can see why he'd walk, and I think he will, which is going to hurt us for next year, because we don't have anyone on the list currently that is near his level.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But but but golden stone and his infinite d#ck$ ??

If Geelong want to pay overs well good luck to him and Geelong. We're better off without him to be honest our new midfield must learn to read the opposition ruck work as well as our ruckman's efforts and assess the situation.......new era is beginning.
There'd be a few devotees here who will be gutted. Dont be !
There r ruckmen out there wanting a change of scenery. We will pick one up.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
This is different.
Gaff felt an obligation to stay because he let them down and they supported him through the aftermath. Plus he was part of a bloody strong premiership winning list which showed no signs of regressing.

If Goldy's is getting a better offer at the Cats then I can see why he'd walk, and I think he will, which is going to hurt us for next year, because we don't have anyone on the list currently that is near his level.

Fair enough.

I'd just say it's worth waiting until the morning after the Syd Barker before worrying too much - no news by then and he's off.

Todd should feel some obligation as well for signing a mega-money contract then going into his shell for two years. Only just getting back up to speed.

I hope he stays, he is a great player and we will miss him

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is different.

I agree with all of your points RS.

Starting to wonder whether a gun ruckman is essential to our plans? I feel like it is a nice luxury to have, but that the last couple premiership sides had serviceable big men, without being stars. I get Grundy may win one this year, but Esava goes into the ruck in the second half and competes physically with the ground balls and Geelong looked a different side in the second half.

I'm the biggest Goldstein fan there is, he is a star, worth every penny of whatever the cats throw him. Certainly worth a couple more years with us on reasonable coin. My question is to BF, will it be that bad if he moves on? Can we recruit another 200cm mature ruck (Cameron from Sydney Springs to mind) and still be competitive? Could the compensation received from Goldy be used to improve us in other areas that need addressing? Thoughts? I've just found myself starting to ponder life without goldy and am thinking it won't be all doom and gloom, which is different to what I thought 3 months ago

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Not keen on getting into a bidding war and overpaying to keep him around.

Goldy is great, and has enjoyed a pretty stellar career with us. Ending up with a second round pick would be a pretty handy outcome.
Would be great. With luck we could nab another Dan Nielsen or Josh Williams.

Someone did... oh, Ziebull.

In most contexts, "one year, big deal." But if he were to get a 3 year, or the factor behind getting a 3 year deal, is that he's 31 going on 34, rather than 32 going on 35. Dunno if AFL ruckman get that old.

That is the tricky question. Unlike the best midfielders in particular, who when they start to slow down a little and can be used more sparingly in the midfield/on ball or moved forward/back into different roles where their superior abilities still allow them to play valuable roles, there are not a lot of options for a slowing down big man.

My view is that because he has had an injury free career and is still very mobile, he probably has another 3 years in him. But a list manager has to consider very carefully, not so much the next 2 years but rather that third year of a new contract.

For the Cats, giving him 3 years is not so much of a risk, because they see their next flag in this small window of this year, next year and maybe in 2022.

The Cats have an ageing list of stars. Ablett is 35 and may well retire this year, Harry Taylor is 33 and looks certain to retire, Joel Selwood and Tom Hawkins - the All Australian Full Forward on the basis of goal assists rather than goals - no goals and no goal assists in the recent Qualifying Final - but I digress - both 31 and born in the same couple of months as Todd, while Patrick Dangerfield turns 30 next year.

So they may figure that if Goldy gives them a really good year next year and they snare a flag, if he quickly falls of the cliff afterwards, the risk of a third year is well warranted. Likewise they may see the same risk/reward in recruiting Higgo.

We are not in the same list situation as the Cats so maybe a third year for us is harder to justify.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That is the tricky question. Unlike the best midfielders in particular, who when they start to slow down a little and can be used more sparingly in the midfield/on ball or moved forward/back into different roles where their superior abilities still allow them to play valuable roles, there are not a lot of options for a slowing down big man.

My view is that because he has had an injury free career and is still very mobile, he probably has another 3 years in him. But a list manager has to consider very carefully, not so much the next 2 years but rather that third year of a new contract.

For the Cats, giving him 3 years is not so much of a risk, because they see their next flag in this small window of this year, next year and maybe in 2022.

The Cats have an ageing list of stars. Ablett is 35 and may well retire this year, Harry Taylor is 33 and looks certain to retire, Joel Selwood and Tom Hawkins - the All Australian Full Forward on the basis of goal assists rather than goals - no goals and no goal assists in the recent Qualifying Final - but I digress - both 31 and born in the same couple of months as Todd, while Patrick Dangerfield turns 30 next year.

So they may figure that if Goldy gives them a really good year next year and they snare a flag, if he quickly falls of the cliff afterwards, the risk of a third year is well warranted. Likewise they may see the same risk/reward in recruiting Higgo.

We are not in the same list situation as the Cats so maybe a third year for us is harder to justify.
Good explanation to answer what was essentially a pedantic rant by someone with not enough fiber in his breakfast this morning.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Absolutely correct. I just have an awful feeling if we let him go over one extra year, we'd be like Carlton watching Waite for years yet - and Waite had a much more chequered injury history than Goldy does.

Geelong might have ageing names, but notwithstanding that debacle at their home ground this year, I don't think they are much closer to a flag than we are. Transferring Goldy across would make them closer and us further away. Both poor outcomes, and for not much in return. The only way I'd come to terms with it if we needed that spot or cap space for another very exciting change to our list, but to be honest I'd think North without him is suddenly a less attractive place to be traded to (like we need to add disincentive).

Absolutely correct. I just have an awful feeling if we let him go over one extra year, we'd be like Carlton watching Waite for years yet - and Waite had a much more chequered injury history than Goldy does.

Geelong might have ageing names, but notwithstanding that debacle at their home ground this year, I don't think they are much closer to a flag than we are. Transferring Goldy across would make them closer and us further away. Both poor outcomes, and for not much in return. The only way I'd come to terms with it if we needed that spot or cap space for another very exciting change to our list, but to be honest I'd think North without him is suddenly a less attractive place to be traded to (like we need to add disincentive).

I think that Geelong and the football world at large think they are closer to a flag than we are; and of course they could still win it this year, who knows; but I also think like you H2H that we are not as far away as everyone thinks.

I think we will go into next year with a much more positive mindset. With our new Coach and despite the gloomy prognostications of many on the Draft and Trading thread, in particular as to the quality of our midfield, if we retain Goldy and Higgo, get Jacobs amd Majak back, see further progression in Simpkin, Zurhaar, Thomas, LDU, Scott, Durdin and hopefully a nice pick in the draft, we should be able to push into the top 8. We need a bit of luck on the injury front - if you have a look at this years top 8, at the business end of the year, only *essendon and Collingwood really have extensive injury lists - who knows what we can achieve.

I would give Goldy his three years and Higgo also and then see how it all pans out. It may be a fail but it is almost certainly going to be a fail next year if we let these two very good footballers go elsewhere.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
You're right. We should skip the draft entirely just in case we pick up someone who doesn't work out.
Way to miss the point. I just don't think losing a guy who is a very good to excellent player for the low chances of success that would come with a second round draft pick could be seen in any way as a good result.

Back