Play Nice Toby Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

Greene is a very good footballer with a bit of a nasty streak, the AFL needs more Toby Greens rather than less, someone the opposition can hate but the team owning him can love, TBH i just cant understand why he doesn't trip over more as he flounces along head up in the air.

The umpires obviously hate him as he stretches the boundaries of their rule books.

Personally i don't mind him and he makes me laugh but he does have a punchable head.

The Bont incident with Haynes was a football incident, not one bit of malice or intent. Stuff happens in footy, it’s not footy anymore if Bont gets rubbed out for that.

Regardless of the circumstances around the Bont v Haynes hit ...

... it can reasonably be felt that justice didn’t run its proper course. In this age the AFL have a duty of care to players which is why medical reports are an essential input into the match review process. The review was performed prior to the medical report being available. Of course that’s not Bont’s fault, but he was the beneficiary of it. As I said, “an issue of the AFL’s own making”

I thought Natanui's incident was worse

Mitigating factors ...

- Merritt was not prone. His arms and legs were free so that he could defend himself (unlike Bont)
- Naitanui’s was a direct retaliation (rather than a “flying the flag” incident). Neither are good, but the “flying the flag” incidents tend to be frowned upon more because of the higher risk of it escalating into a melee

Mitigating factors ...

- Merritt was not prone. His arms and legs were free so that he could defend himself (unlike Bont)
- Naitanui’s was a direct retaliation (rather than a “flying the flag” incident). Neither are good, but the “flying the flag” incidents tend to be frowned upon more because of the higher risk of it escalating into a melee

I agree Greene's incident was unnecessary and uncool- never touch the hair or face of an opponent, or throw them into a fence.

Maybe you should of wondered why none of your own flew the flag.

The Bulldogs only had first year players Smith and West in the vicinity, Smith pulling at Greene's jumper, and West pulling at the jumper of the bloke pulling Smiths jumper.

It was conspicuous at the time how few senior Bulldog players confronted Greene for his actions. Perhaps a few of the Dogs more experienced players could've turned up at some stage and clipped Greene - surely there's a Nic "he pulled my hair" Natanui or Joel "he hit my brother" Selwood or Des "he was picking on my tattoo" Headland type defence in there somewhere?

He is a filthy, arrogant, grub of a human. The AFL suggests a fine, give me a spell. Anyone who honestly believes the AFL gives a f$&k about having a fair and unbiased comp is delusional. Hope he runs into the post and it wipes that smug look off his face.

I was ******* wild when Hodge did it to Wingard but smashing Greene into a post i'd be ok with after that incident.

On the Naitanui topic even taking off my eagles coloured glasses. If i was in a scrap in any part of the ground and someone pulled my hair all gloves are off. Whether that's the centre square, next to the fence, on the goal line. I would have had zero social outrage if one of the dogs team mates went straight up to greene and laid him out and feel that's exactly what I would have done if I saw what Greene had done to a team mate of mine or if I was Nicnat.

Eye gouging, Hair pulling, stomping, tripping, elbowing the face etc are all horrendous acts against the spirit of the game and I am very much a country boy who was raised to believe an eye for an eye.

I was ******* wild when Hodge did it to Wingard but smashing Greene into a post i'd be ok with after that incident.

On the Naitanui topic even taking off my eagles coloured glasses. If i was in a scrap in any part of the ground and someone pulled my hair all gloves are off. Whether that's the centre square, next to the fence, on the goal line. I would have had zero social outrage if one of the dogs team mates went straight up to greene and laid him out and feel that's exactly what I would have done if I saw what Greene had done to a team mate of mine or if I was Nicnat.

Eye gouging, Hair pulling, stomping, tripping, elbowing the face etc are all horrendous acts against the spirit of the game and I am very much a country boy who was raised to believe an eye for an eye.

What if your team mate was thrown into the fence? Should Bellchambers have launched Natanui into the hoarding?

The Bont incident with Haynes was a football incident, not one bit of malice or intent. Stuff happens in footy, it’s not footy anymore if Bont gets rubbed out for that. With Greene, it’s never a football incident but always dirty, low and malicious. His record on and off the field speaks for itself.
And they say I'm one eye'd

Ditto - NicNat was responding to getting his hair pulled, he didn't instigate the exchange. He's not in the dirty Greene/Merrett category.

Unbelievable not get a suspension. Let’s hope that 000’s of junior’s around the country this weekend go in and pull hair, run the fingers across their opponents faces, eye gouge at the bottom of packs. It’s ok to do this as the AFL thinks that these actions doesn’t warrant a suspension.

If Siss did what Greene did on the weekend he would have got 6 weeks minimum. Wouldn’t surprise me if the AFL advised Toby and GWS how best to present their case at the tribunal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they say I'm one eye'd
We all are, that’s what makes footy great. We (Dogs, Giants) have a real, non manufactured rivalry, there’s history now, big finals, many say the greatest game ever! your coach and captain are bulldogs, then you pinched our captain, we pinched your number one draft pick, who helped win us a flag. You have a pantomime villain, in Greene, who has performed much of his villainy against us. We’ve argued on our BF page who is the biggest traitor Ward or Griffin, the results are still fifty fifty. This is real. Gold Coast has none of this. Your franchise is becoming a club, with history.

If I was a dogs fan I would be more worried about why your team had no one flying the flag. No one backing team mates.

Fair to say I'm still pretty salty and looking to vent, but it's hard to argue with this. GWS got away with a lot not only because the umpires let them, but because the Dogs players let them. I hope the players learn from this.

Interesting that the Dogs fans are so against Toby Greene.

They are a club that venerates Tony Liberatore.

I assume they all think he is a top notch bloke.

LOL. I'd love to see you dig up one post from a dogs fan supporting what Liberatore did to Knights. What Libba Snr resorted to in his final few years was horrible, and I don't remember a lot of defending it from Dogs supporters.

We all are, that’s what makes footy great. We (Dogs, Giants) have a real, non manufactured rivalry, there’s history now, big finals, many say the greatest game ever! your coach and captain are bulldogs, then you pinched our captain, we pinched your number one draft pick, who helped win us a flag. You have a pantomime villain, in Greene, who has performed much of his villainy against us. We’ve argued on our BF page who is the biggest traitor Ward or Griffin, the results are still fifty fifty. This is real. Gold Coast has none of this. Your franchise is becoming a club, with history.

Well said sir. The bulldogs are a great example of passion, dedication and durability for the Giants to emulate.

The re-signing of Cogs in my opinion is a wonderful indictment on the club and its nascent culture- for a star like him to reject big money, big coaches and big crowds to remain at Homebush gave everyone a boost I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back