Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your very cut and dried that Geel ( with the players they have got ) cant play a fast tempo game

Then please explain to me a game last year - round 3 West Coast v Geel over in Perth on a ground with identical measurements to the MCG

At half time it was WC 7 -9 to Geel 2-7 - and it was typical Geel to that stage - nervous apprehensive defensive start - chipped it around - slow motion rubbish

In the 3 rd QTR ( and the sting hadnt gone out of the game at that stage mate ) Geel played fast direct football to Hawkins and Menzel - the Cats kicked 6-3 for the qtr to the Eagles 2 points - they then kicked the opening 2 goals of the last qtr - thus they had kicked 8 goals to nothing - playing an up tempo game - against last years premiers on an MCG size ground
With injuries as well

CS is our coach til 2022. His newest assistants are Scarlett and Enright.
Unless we are able to apply the sort of intense pressure that Collingwood does, decisions are irrelevant. We have not been able to sustain pressure for many years now- to me, it's our players. Just not good enough.

Got to get rid of the ones that fail under pressure time and again. Kolo, Bews, Tuohy.

Got to get rid of the ones that fail under pressure time and again. Kolo, Bews, Tuohy.
Kolo was back from injury, will be better.
Bews was our best in finals last year, was injured before the game started.
Tuohy is a serial offender.

Kolo wasn’t injured the past 3 finals series. We’ll see this Fri. Dropping a regulation overhead mark under v little pressure doesn’t look great and can hardly be excused on “coming back from injury”.

Unless we are able to apply the sort of intense pressure that Collingwood does, decisions are irrelevant. We have not been able to sustain pressure for many years now- to me, it's our players. Just not good enough.
And who resigned him until 2022? Review starts there. It may be hard to move Scott on but some of the assistants like Rahilly and Knights have been there long enough and should be moved on imo.

I agree that we have struggled with intense pressure but who’s fault is that? The coach should be teaching these players how to handle the heat, the ones that can’t should be moved on. I’m not sure whether it’s that we aren’t good enough or not. Seems strange that other clubs can all go up a gear in finals and we seem to play worse.

Well he can’t get any worse, he was hopeless on Friday. Not for the first time in a final either!

If nothing else, CS did Chief a favour as this thread will bang on 5000 pages in no time now.

GO Catters

A win V West Coast would be consistent with what we've seen from this club, on several fronts, not just in 2019. I would prefer a loss though, why? Geelong have next to no chance of winning the flag in 2019 - I don't think the players think different, it's the best instigator for change.
Not that I have been hoping for major ‘change’ over this whole time, but I have felt this way since about 2014.

I agree there’s a big chance of getting up on Friday ala 2017. This would merely be a sugar hit for supporters. Serious structural problems remain and until they’re properly addressed I think it’s irresponsible to be throwing out platitudes about grand finals and flags etc.

I agree with this, but it's when you start thinking about solutions where you'll have trouble just saying 'it's our players'..

If there's a problem collectively (anxiety?), which seems to be the case, you must point to a collective solution. Just telling the players to work harder before the siren won't work. A collective problem in any organisation typically stems from culture. Look at it on a larger scale if you like, socially. Same thing.

It's not just Chris Scott's problem to solve, it is a leadership issue though, and he's no.1.

I disagree with Paddy that Scotty gets the blame if the team loses and never the praise if the team wins. I think the problem I and many have from the loss to the Pies is that good teams have been beating us like this ever since the mid-season bye and yet the Cats have seemingly done nothing to adjust their gameplan, they've just kept on trying to play the same way again and again. This, to me, is on the coaching team headed by Scott, not the players. It's their responsibility to tweak the gameplan and update the playing strategies, not the players. But Scotty has stubbornly persisted with a gameplan that just does not stand up to good sides IMO. The media might push back saying it's unfair to criticize Scotty, but the responsibility for this stops with him.

I disagree with Paddy that Scotty gets the blame if the team loses and never the praise if the team wins. I think the problem I and many have from the loss to the Pies is that good teams have been beating us like this ever since the mid-season bye and yet the Cats have seemingly done nothing to adjust their gameplan, they've just kept on trying to play the same way again and again. This, to me, is on the coaching team headed by Scott, not the players. It's their responsibility to tweak the gameplan and update the playing strategies, not the players. But Scotty has stubbornly persisted with a gameplan that just does not stand up to good sides IMO. The media might push back saying it's unfair to criticize Scotty, but the responsibility for this stops with him.
With respect,
Hawkins missed a sitter.
Rohan missed a sitter.
Duncan kicked out a shocker that resulted in a Pies goal.
Taylor knocks out our other defender allowing Stephenson to pounce on a ball and goal results.
Kolo misses a gimme mark. Goal
Several of those were in the 1st Q. That is not coaching, it's elementary football . We effectively won the game after quarter time.
Our gameplan is fine if the players actually execute properly. If they can handle pressure. If they can exert more pressure than the opposition. Right now, I struggle to see that man for man, we have the talent and skillset to compete with WCE, GWS, Pies and Tigers. I think we have enough to deal with Brisbane.

With respect,
Hawkins missed a sitter.
Rohan missed a sitter.
Taylor knocks out our other defender allowing Stephenson to pounce on a ball and goal results.
Several of those were in the 1st Q. That is not coaching, it's elementary football . We effectively won the game after quarter time.
Our gameplan is fine if the players actually execute properly. If they can handle pressure. If they can exert more pressure than the opposition. Right now, I struggle to see that man for man, we have the talent and skillset to compete with WCE, GWS, Pies and Tigers. I think we have enough to deal with Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez I laughed out loud when I read this rubbish....."Bews was our best in finals last year" Was ranked 20th best on Match Centre Tuohy was ranked 6th in a game that can only be described as an absolute shocker against Melbourne. Talk about delusional. Bew's is another player who should be delisted at the end of this year. Tuohy on the other hand when fully fit again will provide Geelong with plenty of drive as long as the coaching staff at Geelong play him in his best position." Bews was our best in finals last year" LolololOlOlOoooHahahAhA killer

Geez I laughed out loud when I read this rubbish....."Bews was our best in finals last year" Was ranked 20th best on Match Centre Tuohy was ranked 6th in a game that can only be described as an absolute shocker against Melbourne. Talk about delusional. Bew's is another player who should be delisted at the end of this year. Tuohy on the other hand when fully fit again will provide Geelong with plenty of drive as long as the coaching staff at Geelong play him in his best position." Bews was our best in finals last year" LolololOlOlOoooHahahAhA killer

keep laughing.
Bews was fine in that game, I am not the only one to appreciate his game that night.

Can somebody please explain what Dangerfield means when he says this?

"I think the key for us is just making sure we've got targets ahead of the footy.

"We didn't work as well as a unit and when the defence is set up well down the line, you don't want to move the ball quickly because they're already set. We don't move it slowly on purpose.

"It's the team collective around getting better shape within the contest so we can move it quickly when it's appropriate to do so."
The opposition defence is set and they don't want to bomb it long. If they try to move it quickly they are outnumbered in the forward half and will turn it over. So they move it slow to keep possession, which they eventually turn it over anyway...
Could be wrong but that's my guess.

Had a few days to calm down now following Friday night:

Like it or not there is no magical fix before this Friday night, we have to wait and see what happens but what will be will be this Friday.

Persoanlly, yes there was a blunder made Friday night when Stanley was dropped, why play him against Carlton where he proved his value, but they made the call and if we won it wouldn't be discussed.

My biggest dissapoitnemt was our start, too many times now in finals we have been blown away early.

But what made it worst was the way we set up in the last when Collingwood where down roatations was almost as though we wanted to minimise the loss, should have risked losing by 7 goals and going for the win.

Unless we win the next 3 games, I think a minor review of the operations needs to be undertaken, 5 finals lost the same way and countless bye losses shows something is not right.

I dont think we should sack Scott, he is a top operator, but its time for him if we lose a game in the next 3 weeks to put his hand up and say something is not working here and lets get to the bottom of it.

I think a fresh assistant coach as well from either Hawthorn or Richmond wouldn't go astray, a new voice that has come from the 2 most sucessful teams this decade might help re aline our dirtection.

I stand behind Scott, but if his finals record is 6-11 come Saturday, then we (supporters, board, coaches and players) need to work together to fix this, lets not turn on our own lets get the club back to a well oiled machine.

With respect,
Hawkins missed a sitter.
Rohan missed a sitter.
The decision to persist with a gameplan that doesn't work puts increased pressure on the guys and causes them to make mistakes. Taking your best KP defender out of the backline (one named in the AA squad) to play ruck (a decision made by Scotty & the MC long before the game as Stanley was told early last week he wasn't playing) had a huge impact on our backline in that game. The carry on effect was players making the kind of mistakes that lost us the game. Then to claim Stanley's omission was because of the weather, a lie, and not because Scott's lost faith in Stanley another coaching blunder from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back