Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fascinating. How bullshit overreactions to a young bloke joking around made him vulnerable to online radicalisation.

One morning during first period, a male friend of Sam’s mentioned a meme whose suggestive name was an inside joke between the two of them. Sam laughed. A girl at the table overheard their private conversation, misconstrued it as a sexual reference, and reported it as sexual harassment. Sam’s guidance counselor pulled him out of his next class and accused him of “breaking the law.” Before long, he was in the office of a male administrator who informed him that the exchange was “illegal,” hinted that the police were coming, and delivered him into the custody of the school’s resource officer. At the administrator’s instruction, that man ushered Sam into an empty room, handed him a blank sheet of paper, and instructed him to write a “statement of guilt.”

This is fascinating. How bulls**t overreactions to a young bloke joking around made him vulnerable to online radicalisation.

Haven't read back to connect that piece to this thread but thanks for posting, really insightful article.

Haven't read back to connect that piece to this thread but thanks for posting, really insightful article.

Yeah, it proves both the Groin guru and Snake_Baker position about ridiculous "anti-male" societal engineering correct, and also proves what the likes of me say about the "Alt-Right" being radicalisation correct too.

Yeah, it proves both the Groin guru and Snake_Baker position about ridiculous "anti-male" societal engineering correct, and also proves what the likes of me say about the "Alt-Right" being radicalisation correct too.

That's a good balanced position there SLF. And I can't even find any trolling in it. You're losing your edge.

It did occur to me early in the piece that it was showing the over-correction that can spring from some of the areas GG and Tef speak about.

This is fascinating. How bulls**t overreactions to a young bloke joking around made him vulnerable to online radicalisation.

Wow. Very insightful. I lost my s**t at the end.

adults using their online persona's to claim an article is definitive proof of something broad and vague or that they lost their s**t reading something from the comfort of their chair is contributing to other adults and kids living with less real hardship than ever before feeling down and in the dumps. Mmm.. i see tho, black and white overly simplistic statements are just too easy to spit out.

adults using their online persona's to claim an article is definitive proof of something broad and vague or that they lost their s**t reading something from the comfort of their chair is contributing to other adults and kids living with less real hardship than ever before feeling down and in the dumps. Mmm.. i see tho, black and white overly simplistic statements are just too easy to spit out.

Where are you going with this?

The disenfranchised being attracted to the extremes, we've seen it before and we'll see it again.

It goes deeper than meme culture or anything of that ilk, that is just one facet. 99% of us that see political memes don't think about them much in the aftermath, but society's vulnerable are increasingly drawn to a much deeper multifaceted campaign.

We talked earlier about grey and information warfare. ISIS used similar methods and now intelligence agencies are investigating the perverse nature of how Eastern European and Neo-Nazi jail-centric gangs are using it.

I know you only focus on the far-right and this is not intended as a whataboutism, but an argument can be mounted that there is a perverse radicalisation battle going on between both extremes, over the disenfranchised youth. The far right has consistently proven to be a reactionary movement to what they perceive as national/societal ills, both real and incorrectly perceived. The far-left is the same in a lot of ways, they seek to combat real and perceived racial/economic injustice with seemingly radical solutions. The general differences lay in methodology and how they use identity politics.

Both have proved as perverse as each other with their insistence on identity politics. The extremes are just feeding off each other and their actions in a perpetual loop, adding more and more disenfranchised to the loop after each incident. I

Unless we take a wider holistic approach to comprehending the foundational roots and ills of what is actually causing these people to feel disenfranchised in the first place, rather than somewhat simplistically blaming singular aspects like meme culture, feminists, etc, we are not going to get anywhere close to solving this garbage.

There are some actual genuine legitimate concerns arising from both extremes that need to be negotiated or addressed.

Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing;).

Last edited:
I must be the only person not to watch that show. Do they do deep fakes or just impersonations?
They do a variety of stuff and go fill in with deep fake stuff. A little hit and miss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are you going with this?
just that in a diffused yet dynamic society like the internet the way we react to and discuss info will have at least as much ripple effects as the info itself. we should all be aware and cautious to that reality. sure the internet is a land nudging everyone towards hyperbole and attention grabbing behaviour, but if anyone wants to position their online persona as separate from and above the pack i just reckon they might meet that image more convincingly if their postings were made with some consideration of the downstream effects of themselves. In other words, if people made posts as if the words were forming part of an 18 chapter book they were writing, they wouldn't so often be so god damn mother ******* exaggerated.

just that in a diffused yet dynamic society like the internet the way we react to and discuss info will have at least as much ripple effects as the info itself. we should all be aware and cautious to that reality. sure the internet is a land nudging everyone towards hyperbole and attention grabbing behaviour, but if anyone wants to position their online persona as separate from and above the pack i just reckon they might meet that image more convincingly if their postings were made with some consideration of the downstream effects of themselves. In other words, if people made posts as if the words were forming part of an 18 chapter book they were writing, they wouldn't so often be so god damn mother ******* exaggerated.
Fast Eddy should have fixed you up when he had the chance.

I’m still not really with you. Are you annoyed at the article written by the parent? Are you annoyed by the responses to the article, for example me writing that I lost my s**t at the end? I was moved by it. Could be a work of fiction but a mother was writing about nearly losing her son to some bizarre alt-right meme creating bunch of middle aged losers.

It’s a good little story with plenty of food for thought for anyone with a teenage kid with internet access. My kids are 6 & 8 and man I’m not looking forward to those days.

And ey, do you really want us to post like we’re writing 18 chapter novels? Imagine how ******* boring that would be. s**t I struggle to put a paragraph together.

VK, just forget i said anything, i barely gave it effort and you shouldn't waste your time. whisper on the breeze. good luck with your kids. curate their info, fertilise their coping mechanism then support their free exposure. ignore all that. i hear something. falling leaves. brb

The medium is the massage.

It doesn't "prove" them right. But it does provide some evidence to support their position.

However if you open your eyes this stuff has been going on for decades. Its not new to now. Its just that its not just men who have and abuse power these days and the same systemic structures that cause institutionalised racism and (mysoginist) sexism are now evolving or developing to hurt white men in similar ways as well.

Watch them not notice and think this stuff is unique to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back