The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

it's always funny how these make you feel. because of his personality and his public appearances, it feels like a real punch in the gut. never met him, or his family, but it really ******* sucks.

rest in peace spud, condolences to his family and friends. footy lost a gem today

Gotta admit, teared up a bit watching Jono Brown’s voice start to break before on AFL360, as well as Neroli Meadows obviously distressed whilst anchoring her show tonight. I’m not going to say I’ve never had a dig at Spud over the years, but this is genuinely upsetting. Was at a function with Billy Brownless last week, and it makes you realise these guys with media careers after the game...you do feel like you know them. Commiserations to his family, Gary Lyon, Dunstall and all those close to him...

Yeah pretty tough, grew up watching him on Bounce and covering the footy so feels like a big part of my footy watching days were in part centred around him and the other Fox Footy personalities who have been there through that stretch of the last 12 or so years. Just goes to show you can't take life for granted.

The article in The Age this morning alluded to Danny Frawley’s recent marriage breakdown and financial troubles. Although it stopped short of using the S word, it’s implication was there between the lines. I’m not sure how to feel about reporting like that, is it appropriate? Too soon? Don’t know. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

Regardless, tragic situation. Didn’t catch it live but have seen the opening segment of last night’s 360, can see the impact it’s left on many. Horrible news.

The article in The Age this morning alluded to Danny Frawley’s recent marriage breakdown and financial troubles. Although it stopped short of using the S word, it’s implication was there between the lines. I’m not sure how to feel about reporting like that, is it appropriate? Too soon? Don’t know. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

Regardless, tragic situation. Didn’t catch it live but have seen the opening segment of last night’s 360, can see the impact it’s left on many. Horrible news.
That reporting of personal information that isn't public knowledge before his passing felt a little bit wrong this morning.

Devastating news. From the few times I've met him he was as likable as he presents himself in the media, very down to earth and willing to have a laugh with the everyday man. RIP Spud

That reporting of personal information that isn't public knowledge before his passing felt a little bit wrong this morning.

Devastating news. From the few times I've met him he was as likable as he presents himself in the media, very down to earth and willing to have a laugh with the everyday man. RIP Spud

I tend to agree. The article mentioned he’d only confided that information to the close circle around him, which is what I have an issue with. It was private.

And yeah, in time these things do eventually become public. But the very next morning? I don’t know about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree. The article mentioned he’d only confided that information to the close circle around him, which is what I have an issue with. It was private.

And yeah, in time these things do eventually become public. But the very next morning? I don’t know about that.
I also don't believe someone close leaked the info. Just one of those footy whispers heard around the traps in the past month that they've decided to publish

I've heard a few things that lean that way, and like Glen I'm not sure which is the better public narrative. Does indicating the cause prevent others from possibly doing the same thing, or does it make it worse?

I heard similar theories around 5.30pm last night before the news had broken mainstream. When I got home at 2 minutes past six the channel 7 story was just finishing, and mentioned his past demons, and assumed that was the narrative (single car accident at high speed on an open road hitting a lone tree...), so when my dad messaged me five minutes after, I replied in that context. Then I felt awful afterwards as there was no mention of such motive on any service to follow...

I've heard a few things that lean that way, and like Glen I'm not sure which is the better public narrative. Does indicating the cause prevent others from possibly doing the same thing, or does it make it worse?
I'm all for calling these things what they are. But trying to dig up the why, finances, marriage, gambling, addiction or whatever a cause may be is what I'm uneasy with. The lack of talking about suicide is part of the problem with people not speaking up when in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back