Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Kolo wasn’t injured the past 3 finals series. We’ll see this Fri. Dropping a regulation overhead mark under v little pressure doesn’t look great and can hardly be excused on “coming back from injury”.

I think Kolo is typical of a lot of our players... his best is too far from his worst.... looking back I know..but guys like Boris etc were great not cause they didnt make mistakes but because they most didnt have huge differences between his good and bad... I think that mark if it was Enright.. he would have made sure that is he missed it he would have missed it to the front not the back. Kolo just trusted his normally approach ..and when he is on..he is on.. but when he is off .. he is like so many they make one or two mistakes that roast you.

Personally .Id say thats an example of Blitz being out of the backline .. you shouldn't mess with the group who play together

Last edited:
The decision to persist with a gameplan that doesn't work puts increased pressure on the guys and causes them to make mistakes. Taking your best KP defender out of the backline (one named in the AA squad) to play ruck (a decision made by Scotty & the MC long before the game as Stanley was told early last week he wasn't playing) had a huge impact on our backline in that game. The carry on effect was players making the kind of mistakes that lost us the game. Then to claim Stanley's omission was because of the weather, a lie, and not because Scott's lost faith in Stanley another coaching blunder from the game.
Cop out. Those individuals need to own those shocking efforts.

Finals IS pressure. Those that can’t handle it should make way for others.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Obviously one can only speak for yourself ... I wonder if some of the overall problem with CS and us...or me.... is that he has not sold his game plan as the game plan. Infact he hasnt felt like he had to sell it and that any queries were disregarded and spurned. The guy is a talented media performer yet I dont feel like he has ever tried to convince the "supporters" that this is the way to win. Obvious it gets difficult with IP and and tactical advantages.. but I feel that Geelong has never been successful with dour football ..so I yet to be convinced that this is the way to go. If he is such a great repository of knowledge merged with public orator why hasnt this been done. I feel either thru Costa or Thompson that theu brought the supporters group along with them..

You don't even have to reword that and you could be make an arguement in favour of sacking Scott
The “effort” of a coach would just about the most opaque thing about all of this.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Obviously one can only speak for yourself ... I wonder if some of the overall problem with CS and us...or me.... is that he has not sold his game plan as the game plan. Infact he hasnt felt like he had to sell it and that any queries were disregarded and spurned. The guy is a talented media performer yet I dont feel like he has ever tried to convince the "supporters" that this is the way to win. Obvious it gets difficult with IP and and tactical advantages.. but I feel that Geelong has never been successful with dour football ..so I yet to be convinced that this is the way to go. If he is such a great repository of knowledge merged with public orator why hasnt this been done. I feel either thru Costa or Thompson that theu brought the supporters group along with them..

I thin if you've followed Geelong for the past 40 years you've watched a team that plays "the game as it should be played". We may not have won flags over that whole period but we were bloody entertaining to watch. This latest "game plan" is just putrid. Aside from, in my opinion, being a flawed system, it's so bloody boring and frustrating to view. That's not how Geelong teams play footy.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I thin if you've followed Geelong for the past 40 years you've watched a team that plays "the game as it should be played". We may not have won flags over that whole period but we were bloody entertaining to watch. This latest "game plan" is just putrid. Aside from, in my opinion, being a flawed system, it's so bloody boring and frustrating to view. That's not how Geelong teams play footy.
I have watched them that and more... and in the years where we have been final types teams..

I will leave it to thers to comment on 60's and 70's
I say Goggins teams were mainly def..it lacked forward talent ..
it swung back the other way Blights teams were super offensive .. I think it lacked a gun tall defender but generally our mids reall played a Danger game .a lot of one way runners..
Ayres then became similar to Scott ..we wanted to tighten it up... ironically he got to a GF the first year ... had a couple of good year but in the end the club and the coach and supporters splintered... sounds familiar..
Thompson's team was built from the back but were not dour.. yes defend but bounce it into attack..

I dont like the current plan the whole concpet reminds me of me playing pool with my mate trying to snooker him all the time.. Your wont win playing that he would say..but he is better so Im not leaving the ball for him to use it. Same with us.. we seem so focused on IF we make a mistake we dont do it in the middle or we will not get burned on the turnover ..that we have forgotten that if we trust our ability we actually do not have to turn it over. Yes mistakes are made sometimes. SJ was the classic.. he could makes some clangers..but some of our great wins were due to him doing a Miers kick into the middle going for the risky kick

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have watched them that and more... and in the years where we have been final types teams..

I will leave it to thers to comment on 60's and 70's
I say Goggins teams were mainly def..it lacked forward talent ..
it swung back the other way Blights teams were super offensive .. I think it lacked a gun tall defender but generally our mids reall played a Danger game .a lot of one way runners..
Ayres then became similar to Scott ..we wanted to tighten it up... ironically he got to a GF the first year ... had a couple of good year but in the end the club and the coach and supporters splintered... sounds familiar..
Thompson's team was built from the back but were not dour.. yes defend but bounce it into attack..

I dont like the current plan the whole concpet reminds me of me playing pool with my mate trying to snooker him all the time.. Your wont win playing that he would say..but he is better so Im not leaving the ball for him to use it. Same with us.. we seem so focused on IF we make a mistake we dont do it in the middle or we will not get burned on the turnover ..that we have forgotten that if we trust our ability we actually do not have to turn it over. Yes mistakes are made sometimes. SJ was the classic.. he could makes some clangers..but some of our great wins were due to him doing a Miers kick into the middle going for the risky kick

Sure, there's been aberations - Ayres.... but in the main we have been a free flowing team that is one, if not the most, entertaining to watch in any era. Even that Goggin team was good to watch - Turner and Witcombe/Lunn streaming down the wings, JJ Hawkins flying high, Terry Bright clever up forward etc - different era of course..

Completely agree re your analogy. The way we are currently playing the opposition will always be in the game. We just aren't scoring heavily enough for them not to be. The ridiculous thing is that we have the players to be a more attacking unit.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Of course Dangerfield going to back up his coach.... Imagine him going against what he says out in public... The media would create another storm if Dangerfield said CS was wrong...
Once again Chris Scott will never admit that he is wrong....

afl genius

Club Legend
May 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
The opposition defence is set and they don't want to bomb it long. If they try to move it quickly they are outnumbered in the forward half and will turn it over. So they move it slow to keep possession, which they eventually turn it over anyway...
Could be wrong but that's my guess.

I'd say it's more about forwards not getting sucked up the ground which when we get possession means there is no options, hence they need to slow it down. By then the opposition are set up

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Sure, there's been aberations - Ayres.... but in the main we have been a free flowing team that is one, if not the most, entertaining to watch in any era. Even that Goggin team was good to watch - Turner and Witcombe/Lunn streaming down the wings, JJ Hawkins flying high, Terry Bright clever up forward etc - different era of course..

Completely agree re your analogy. The way we are currently playing the opposition will always be in the game. We just aren't scoring heavily enough for them not to be. The ridiculous thing is that we have the players to be a more attacking unit.
The Blight years are something I cherish,no flag,but * did we play some devastating footy.

Scott Selwood,who else?
Henderson. Not that he should have played given structures.

Clark would have played had he been available. Deserves to prove he’s not a jellyback like the others.

Constable played a great game in round 1. Kicked the winner didn’t he?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Clark would have played had he been available. Deserves to prove he’s not a jellyback like the others.

Henderson's not great but he's more reliable than others. I doubt he'd drop the sitters Kolodjashnij does.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Cop out. Those individuals need to own those shocking efforts.

Finals IS pressure. Those that can’t handle it should make way for others.
It's not a cop out. I agree the players didn't handle that pressure for the most part and the same old ones didn't produce when it mattered. That's a list matter, and maybe our list isn't as good as we think it is. However, to ignore the way teams have been beating us since the mid season bye in favor of continuing to play a game style that clearly doesn't stack up to pressure games or against teams with better lists is a coaching issue. Clarko, for example, often changes the Hawks gameplan in a season, especially if what they're doing isn't working. He always finds a way for his list to combat the tactics used against them, and turn it around so the hawks are the better side.

I have been a supporter of Chris Scott for a long time, and I'm not attacking the man personally. I just think he's made some bad mistakes this season, and if we go out in straight sets then the whole coaching panel needs a serious review. Personally, I think 9 years is too long to have a single senior coach. I think once 5 years has passed, a senior coach should be changed unless it's likely they could win the premiership the next season (and not just make the eight).

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course Dangerfield going to back up his coach.... Imagine him going against what he says out in public... The media would create another storm if Dangerfield said CS was wrong...

Thats why i find the EPL refreshing - they speak their mind

I can remember years ago - Mark Viduka ( one of my favourite players ) the big Aussie Striker for Leeds United - when Leeds were in the Premier League

There was about 10 games to go - and they wernt travelling too flash - and Viduka came out and said - I think we are going to go down ( get relegated ) with this bloke ( current Manager in charge )- wow

They dont muck around over their - thats what a relegation rule does ( and the dire financial consequences that follow )

Scott and his spin doctor shiit -i dont think it would help him over their - they wouldnt listen to that shiit.

As some Pies staff said, Stanley had a great rd 1, broke even and possibly beat an underdone Grundy.
23 weeks later, it's a new game

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
It's not a cop out. I agree the players didn't handle that pressure for the most part and the same old ones didn't produce when it mattered. That's a list matter, and maybe our list isn't as good as we think it is. However, to ignore the way teams have been beating us since the mid season bye in favor of continuing to play a game style that clearly doesn't stack up to pressure games or against teams with better lists is a coaching issue. Clarko, for example, often changes the Hawks gameplan in a season, especially if what they're doing isn't working. He always finds a way for his list to combat the tactics used against them, and turn it around so the hawks are the better side.

I have been a supporter of Chris Scott for a long time, and I'm not attacking the man personally. I just think he's made some bad mistakes this season, and if we go out in straight sets then the whole coaching panel needs a serious review. Personally, I think 9 years is too long to have a single senior coach. I think once 5 years has passed, a senior coach should be changed unless it's likely they could win the premiership the next season (and not just make the eight).
It is pretty interesting the Longevity thing. In the modern game I think it depends how a club is performing. A decade seems about right to me but you need some success in there. Lined up last Friday nights team with one of our Premiership Teams ie 2011. This team does not stack up on so many levels but our H@A efforts get us to the Pointy End. The lack of talent just does not get us to the next step.

Thats why i find the EPL refreshing - they speak their mind

I can remember years ago - Mark Viduka ( one of my favourite players ) the big Aussie Striker for Leeds United - when Leeds were in the Premier League

There was about 10 games to go - and they wernt travelling too flash - and Viduka came out and said - I think we are going to go down ( get relegated ) with this bloke ( current Manager in charge )- wow

They dont muck around over their - thats what a relegation rule does ( and the dire financial consequences that follow )

Scott and his spin doctor shiit -i dont think it would help him over their - they wouldnt listen to that shiit.
Best thing about EPL, is each team plays each team twice, home and away. A totally FAIR system.
MC will go and play a minnow team at it's HG, even if it holds only 15K people.
I know we have finals, but that should be a separate season, instead of the preseason maybe.
Anyway, will never have a fair AFL comp whilst I'm alive.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
hats true but I hope the whole player group can focus on the heat that the club an dScott has received .. maybe that can help to overcome nerves with a degree of reckless abandon..

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It is pretty interesting the Longevity thing. In the modern game I think it depends how a club is performing. A decade seems about right to me but you need some success in there. Lined up last Friday nights team with one of our Premiership Teams ie 2011. This team does not stack up on so many levels but our H@A efforts get us to the Pointy End. The lack of talent just does not get us to the next step.
It's also possible our home ground advantage also helps keep the Cats in contention of finals. But the ultimate goal is to produce a team that can win finals, especially the GF. I have thought we had the talent on the list for this, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe our list is still not good enough, despite having the likes of Paddy, Tom Stewart, Hawkins, Kelly etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back