Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Look realistically the small Vic clubs like us are very rarely going to get players also being chased by the big clubs, that's just how it is unfortunately. Can have a try, fine, but all we can do really is keep on drafting and developing while also making smart moves for underrated guys like Crozier and Duryea. Leaning more towards the latter this year probably.
Saints got Carlisle and will get Hill. Plus Hannebery.
Melbourne got Lever, May, Hibberd, Melksham etc.

The only club as bad as us is probably north and even then they got Waite, Higgins, Dal Santo and Polec.

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Martin news sucks a little, but ultimately we all should've seen it coming. We chased another indigenous player, with another club competing, which already puts us massively behind in the race. This is an issue that will not be fixed quickly. If the reports are true of Carlton's offer being substantially lower, then that's pretty concerning, but I doubt it is the case. Wouldn't surprise me if the offers were ultimately pretty similar, in which case I'd almost expect him to choose Carlton.
The "good" thing is that he was the lowest priority of the 3 big targets. Only concern will be if Saints jump ahead on Keath, and Collingwood jump ahead on Bruce

Not to much to be concerned about as he is good mates with Cripps

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saints got Carlisle and will get Hill. Plus Hannebery.
Melbourne got Lever, May, Hibberd, Melksham etc.

The only club as bad as us is probably north and even then they got Waite, Higgins, Dal Santo and Polec.
To be fair, Waite was in the middle of applying for the aged pension, Higgins was as injury prone as they come, Dal Santo was nearing the end of his career (29) and looking for a decent pay, and they horrendously overpaid for Polec. I'd rather be in our position where, with the exception of Boyd, we haven't overpaid for anyone, and instead made smart pickups to address areas of need but otherwise relied on drafting for talent. And at least Boyd produced that finals campaign

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sometimes culture plays a part in decisions. After being in GC with their policy of playing players on talent rather than effort/ability/form, perhaps Martin wanted to take it easier than our high performance program. He can go there on similar money but avoid the scrutiny of poor performance. Just look at Daisy Thomas, left Pies for Carltank, was then able to take it easy for a few years. Bolton came along and demanded more from him and instead he just coasted, knowing he was almost undroppable.

That is my take on Martin. IF he really wanted to get the best out of himself, he would have left GC to get to a fully professional environment sooner.

Loved him predraft and wished we got him instead of Stringer but GC offered a higher pick to GWS. Kind of glad, as he is still potential all these years later.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Please please no Butler types now.
Must be proven B graders min or go to draft.

We have gone to the draft and nailed it. We have our future stars covered in Dunkley, Naughty, English and Smith. All of our great players were drafted apart from Croz.

We need to target mature players. No more losing out on good players during trade period. GWS game showed we need mature bodies for finals next year.

Kind of tired of us never landing big fish. Time is now and players should be wanting to come to us over Carlton.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nope. We have historically fought against a bulls**t narrative that players want to play for 'big' clubs in front of big crowds. It's not an easy mindset to break.

High profile players are invariably linked and get to these sides.

How else can you possibly explain Essendon constantly winning trade week after years of dubious off-field behaviour?
How do you explain Melbourne getting Lever and May in recent years? They're certainly not a big club by any measure. I think it is starting to become an issue, at least in my mind. And until we start to bring in decent names that we target, then it continues to gain momentum.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Carlton were always going to make a pretty huge push after they unexpectedly lost out for Coniglio. Martin certainly won’t be foregoing any dollars by heading there. Quite the contrary I’d imagine, if not in playing contract then otherwise.

The club needs to make Bruce & Keath happen. Right position, right quality, right age.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think we should pursue Shai Bolton. Uncontacted and I think Richmond would have to be up to the brink salary cap wise and we could come up with a much better offer (nothing ridiculous) that could force him to look elsewhere. Finally playing consistent AFL footy and could be ready to break out next year.

Jun 5, 2013
The Stoop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MCFC, Lakers, Phillies, NY Rangers
The reasons a player chooses one team over another are myriad. Many of which can't be helped by a clubs recruitment team.
For example, maybe Martin sees Carlton as the easier place to cement a spot in the starting 18, and isn't the type to back himself to raise his game and break into a stronger side like the Bulldogs. Hell, maybe he likes the idea of living in Carlton North and walking to training, who ******* knows.

I think we should pursue Shai Bolton. Uncontacted and I think Richmond would have to be up to the brink salary cap wise and we could come up with a much better offer (nothing ridiculous) that could force him to look elsewhere. Finally playing consistent AFL footy and could be ready to break out next year.

Hearld Sun thinks he will sign 3 years soon, not too long ago

Delist:
Morris
Picken
Boyd
Roberts
Webb
Roarke (R)

Trades:
Martin-
2019 + 2020 1sts for BL 2019 1st + GC 2020 2nd + Martin

Bruce-
GC 2020 2nd for Bruce

Keath-
Dogs 2nd + Hawks 3rd for Keath (+2020 SK)

Draft:
Brisbane’s 1st (15) -
Elijah Taylor (Worth reaching for IMO. Few similar players around this mark but he’s the stand out for mine)
STK 3rd(41) -
Dyson Hilder (KPD who is rated by Knightmare as a better one-on-one defender than McAsey. Could be good value this late)
Dogs 3rd (48) -
Outside class or
Mature small/medium goal kicker or
Upgrade Lachie Young

2020 team:
Wood Keath Crozier
JJ Young Suckling
Smith Bont Hunter
Martin Naughton Lloyd
Dale Bruce Dickson
English Dunkley Macrae

Daniel Schache Libba Duryea

What are people’s thoughts on trade values? Think they’re about right but GC may want more than a couple of upgrades for Martin, even if they are decent upgrades.

Only real issue with all is we need to clear one more name off the list. Could be Williams but word is he will be resigning soon, don’t think he wants to leave. Maybe Lynch or Jong?

Nice depth there when there isn't any room for the Runner Up in the Jj Liston even on the bench

This is for Round 22 against GWS:

View attachment 743516

And this is for Finals week 1 against GWS:

View attachment 743517

So we lost 10 months in age, and 10 games in experience. You can put a lot of this down to missing Trengove and Dickson

So the Rd 22 game was a fairly even match up. That tells me that our kids are better than their kids and we are on the right track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back