Status in Question AFL and Coniglio's GWS deal

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Remember when Chris Judd got a job for his wife through the AFL? Man, what a stroke of luck that managed to happen. Nothing to see there. Just convenience.
Not that lucky mate.

Treloar’s missus got one through the Pies too.

Unsure if the job has anything to do with alone time with Taylor Adams or not....

EDIT: So it turns out Treloar is no longer with Kelsey...No longer engaged and he’s with some netballer now?

This guy is either a proper flea, or he just couldn’t get over being Adams cuck.

Last edited:
Absolutely, it's quite outrageous he would ever think of staying loyal to his club for less money. After all, what other player has ever stayed loyal to his club for less money in the hope of being a one club and/or premiership player? Simply never happens. This whole thing of him refusing to leave his club is just too horrible.
You're completely missing my point.
All of the contract offers that were reported, the ones that are out there in the media, not the big footy I heard xxx about this or that type stuff

Those contracts, barring the St Kilda hail mary that got published once or twice earlier on and went really quiet, were not that far apart.
Hawks certainly were not offering significantly more than Giants.
Blues offered more, Saints allegedly offered a lot.
The headline is walked away from 3 million, which I assume is the Saints offer that his own manager said wasn't taken seriously as Cogs wasn't interested in going there.
So if it really was between Giants, Blues and Hawks, he didn't walk away from serious money as has been reported since he signed.

The article when he signed was literally Cogs turns back on lucrative offers to stay at the Giants but it doesn't look like he really walked away from much money.

More power to him for getting a good long contract and staying

When you've reamed your own club for everything you could get because of the threat of talking with other clubs, what better way to restore the faith than to start the rumour that you sacrificed something to stay? More money + illusion of taking less money. It's PR win-win.

But yeah, that's an assumption that is never questioned by the pundits who discuss trades endlessly on tv and radio - that you have to pry players out of clubs by paying huge overs. Although it's frequently true, there is really no reason why it has to be true.
Yeah this

Ah. I see what’s happening here.

2018 trade period:

Hawks “ITK” posters - Shiel is coming to Hawthorn. Deal done months back. Lock it in.

Shiel goes to Bombers.

Hawks supporters “oh but we changed our mind”

2019 trade period:

Hawks “ITK” posters - Cogs is coming to Hawthorn. Deal done months back. Lock it in.

Coniglio re-signs with GWS.

Hawks supporters “oh then there must be a secret AFL deal”

Thanks for all the fun guys. Looking forward to Whitfield next year
We ain't getting Whitfield

Well no club publishes contract details. That said I think I was pretty accepted that both the hawks And Carlton were offering more money. Carlton significantly more so.
Why is it accepted though? I've seen Hawks deal around 5 for 5, Giants around 7 for 7 and blues around 7 for 5

They are all in the same ball park, Blues offer was a little higher but they didn't have an established coach at the time

Hawks are now chasing pick 3 as a compensation pick for losing Coniglio!:rolleyes:

No seriously Hawk supporters!
You are so entitled that you even get cut up when a player chooses to stay at their own club.
Yes, nobody gets upset when a target they are linked to doesn't come.......

Victorian clubs cheating the system? Well I never.

What a pointless post. You have either deliberately or ignorantly failed to mention non-Victorian clubs cheating the system. Maybe a quick review of your own club will Trigg-er your memory.

All clubs cheating the system? Well I needn't bother posting.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
That clearly doesn't count because they were caught and punished.
And the payment would have been inside the salary cap the admin were just too stupid to not declare it.

Ambassador roles should be in the salary cap and if not it’s creating an unfair advantage. I don’t even know why they exist, you get paid what you deserve and what your club can afford. If another club offers more it’s up the player to decide. No good reason for the AFL to get involved other than to manipulate the competition like they do.

Everyone too busy having a chuckle about this and digging the boots into Hawks fans "whinging about not getting Coniglio", when in reality we're just questioning the whole set up and realising that GWS will soon have a good handful of potential million-dollar-men on their list.

Couldn't care less that the Hawks didn't land a free agent. I do, however, worry that GWS will likely soon have Cameron, Whitfield, Coniglio, Kelly and Greene on the type of currency that are only offered to the odd player from each team.

Everyone too busy having a chuckle about this and digging the boots into Hawks fans "whinging about not getting Coniglio", when in reality we're just questioning the whole set up and realising that GWS will soon have a good handful of potential million-dollar-men on their list.

Couldn't care less that the Hawks didn't land a free agent. I do, however, worry that GWS will likely soon have Cameron, Whitfield, Coniglio, Kelly and Greene on the type of currency that are only offered to the odd player from each team.

Welcome to the AFL reality party. Most of us have been here for years.

Seems like it took something close to home before some of you caught on.

Welcome to the AFL reality party. Most of us have been here for years.

Seems like it took something close to home before some of you caught on.

Oh we've known for a while, but it seems the absolute blatant nature of it happening now has been drowned out by schadenfreude from the collective of opposition supporters.

Oh we've known for a while, but it seems the absolute blatant nature of it happening now has been drowned out by schadenfreude from the collective of opposition supporters.

Fair call. I haven't indulged in the LOL Hawks stuff because I share the view that the sly hand of the AFL has engineered another outcome.

Oh I get it. We should ALL be upset Hawthorn didn't get their man.

As LuvtheKangas said, welcome to the reality that every club whose list wasn't in the sweet spot during the accident of history has been living in for years.

It's odd how Hawthorn supporters weren't fretting about this back then.

Oh wait. No it isn't.

Oh I get it. We should ALL be upset Hawthorn didn't get their man.

As LuvtheKangas said, welcome to the reality that every club whose list wasn't in the sweet spot during the accident of history has been living in for years.

It's odd how Hawthorn supporters weren't fretting about this back then.

Oh wait. No it isn't.

Fantastic reading comprehension, that's exactly what I said!

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Not as blatant as what was going on with the brown paper bags and dodgy house sales going on at the Hawks between 2013 and 2015. But hey ho, nothing to see there.....

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
How convenient your sense of morality is?

Bet you weren’t complaining about the commercial manoeuvring on the Adam Treloar deal?

Bet you don’t lose any sleep on the dodgy coterie and “friends of the club” commercial opportunities offered by big clubs such as your own, the sweetheart media deals (do you wonder why Ads is all over TV and radio) mayo added to really sexy up contracts?

Do you honestly think such opportunities are available to clubs like GWS and Gold Coast?

No you don’t, and truth be known you don’t really care about any silly buggers that might actually advantage your precious team, especially when our place is just to be a feeder club that bolsters TV Rights?

If the AFL did get involved they are merely squaring up the ledger on their “baby” that never wins a fixture or free kick count.

Live in a spotless house and then start commenting on your neighbours, otherwise pipe down and get off your high horse.
I always use this sort of reasoning, Victorians happy to whinge about the AFL giving over ambassador money, but no worries when their club 'connections' are able to sort out sweet media deals and commercial opportunities outside of the cap for their players that aren't there in QLD and NSW.

Not as blatant as what was going on with the brown paper bags and dodgy house sales going on at the Hawks between 2013 and 2015. But hey ho, nothing to see there.....

Yes, we definitely had to pay a tonne of money to keep the glut of high performing 30+ year olds at the club. They just couldn't go on winning more premierships if we didn't up the ante every year!

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Yes, we definitely had to pay a tonne of money to keep the glut of high performing 30+ year olds at the club. They just couldn't go on winning more premierships if we didn't up the ante every year!
And then add in player after player every year, over and above the salary cap. Blatant cheating was going on.

And then add in player after player every year, over and above the salary cap. Blatant cheating was going on.

We lost the best player in the AFL in the same period and brought in... James Frawley and Ben McEvoy. I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I honestly hope you are.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We lost the best player in the AFL in the same period and brought in... James Frawley and Ben McEvoy. I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I honestly hope you are.
Buzzasto I can’t take your opinion as anything but compromised and bitter if you truly believe this. We had room to sign the Bud and he jumped, and opened up enough room.. very good chance, infact I’d say extremely likely we don’t win 3 straight if Bud signed on.

As for Coniglio, who knows what went on and he clearly loves his club enough to stay for the rest of his career. Would have loved him at Hawthorn but a part of me hates seeing an essentially infant club like GWS develop him into a Star and then another club pinches away his best years.
On a personal level they are like any other football club in the country with their own problems and issues and trying to keep it all together. I don’t want to see them win flags but I don’t want them to be a basket case like the Suns either.

Honestly half the stuff that goes on with player deals and movement or lack there of never sees the light of day.

If a few presidents other than Jeff kick up a stink about this then maybe there is something to talk about. You'd think if the AFL have influenced this much then other clubs would be wary about it.

All said and done he wouldn't have signed for 7 years if he wasn't willing to stay.
Other Clubs aren't going to say anything. It's the AFL.

AFL was involved under the table. If this happened at any other club, there would be blue murder. Serious questions should be asked of the AFL about the deal to keep Coniglio at the Giants, considering how much they want to keep him there. If you think it's as simple as GWS offering Coniglio a deal he couldn't refuse, and the AFL didn't do anything shady to keep him a Giant, then I'm Buddy Franklin.
You mean like the dons paying Shiel outside the salary cap?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I hope they did get involved. Still wouldn’t compare to some of the shadiness of deals like Treloars. All clubs find ways of bending the rules to keep their top line players.
By the way, he polled 17 votes from 15 games this year.

leobarryustar

Milking frees
Margin Mania Chess Club Member BeanCoiNFT Investor Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Anyone know if the Jim Stynes award comes with a massive cash prize this year?

Back