Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

And team selection for Friday night will probably tell me everything I need to know on that front.
Surely if they don’t think it was a mistake they won’t change anything?

That head of his is firmly entrenched up his arse. I don't have a laxative strong enough to extract it.

Actually he's TECHNICALY correct. The most critical reason we lost was workrate in that first quarter. There was NONE from us. We looked lazy as f*ck while the Pies tore us apart. Them horrible misses from Rohan and Hawkins didn't help.

The elephant in the room is that AGAIN in a final we started slow, and AGAIN after a bye we lost. Yeah the Stanley decision probably didn't help, but focusing on that one decision is not looking at the whole situation.

Why I am angry at Scott and the match committee is not for that one selection decision, but because the coaches do not have an answer to the reoccurring problems of our starts in finals and playing after a bye.

“We have reviewed it. We wouldn’t do it again if we had our chance. It was unhelpful for the performance on the night but moreover I don’t think it helped our mindset and our approach to the game. Rhys will play this week.”

- said Chris Scott never

☹️

Just watched his press conference..
He is bristling at been called out and I actually think he’s that stubborn he’ll double down and not play Stanley again
Still-I quite enjoyed his presser-he’s an interesting chap. Complex guy isn’t he. No one can be any the wiser about what he genuinely thinks after his conferences.

Actually he's TECHNICALY correct. The most critical reason we lost was workrate in that first quarter. There was NONE from us. We looked lazy as f*ck while the Pies tore us apart. Them horrible misses from Rohan and Hawkins didn't help.

That's so true Sicko - also the Pies "pressure index " was 249 IIRC so they brought an insane amount of it just like others have done and put us behind the 8 ball.
That's why Friday was so *ingg frustrating - we start with one hand behind our back with the ruck/deplete defence decision yet we absorb insane pressure , kick poorly in the first and whilst we don't get blown away ( improvement on past years) we still fall short by a couple of kicks.
We used to be able to kick multiple goals in a row , we desperately need to settle the side and play tempo footy but with an ability to go all out attack at the right time.

“We have reviewed it. We wouldn’t do it again if we had our chance. It was unhelpful for the performance on the night but moreover I don’t think it helped our mindset and our approach to the game. Rhys will play this week.”

- said Chris Scott never

☹️
That's so easy. And would reduce supporter and media backlash by at least half.
Makes me worry he does actually believe what he says.

Exactly. Which is why I said the selected team for Friday (more than anything Scott ever says, one way or the other) will tell me whether he is in any way cognizant of or repentant for the debacle that was choosing to not play a ruckman against the competition's very best last weekend.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. What I am saying essentially is that I pay virtually no attention to Scott's public pronouncements in terms of discerning what is actually going on inside his head. Or inside the footy club, for that matter.

His track record demonstrates that he is apparently obsessed with never divulging anything of note to anyone in the media. So to suddenly expect him to express himself candidly and say what he's really thinking is entirely fanciful, in my view.

Last edited:

- said Chris Scott never

If he actually said this he'd have most fans off his back over the decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To not say something like this today when given the clear opportunity to do so is very troubling.

To not say something like this today when given the clear opportunity to do so is very troubling.

But not really surprising either, given his long history of equivocation about all matters related to team selection/tactics/performance over his time at the club.

I'm more surprised that posters here expected him to change the habits of a coaching lifetime on this particular occasion.

Again, let me be clear. I'm not defending his approach. I imagine I find it just as infuriating as everyone else here. It's simply that getting myself riled about it when it has been ever thus just seems like entirely avoidable emotional angst to me.

Friday night can't come quick enough, no matter how it goes, really.

He doesn't care what us plebs think though.

"My job is to do my job. Not to worry about the opinions of those that probably don't have as much information as the people internally do".

Which is a fair enough attitude, mind you, and probably a necessary one for a head coach. But I'd be interested to know just what information they had to suggest that playing Blicavs in the ruck against Grundy would be anything other than the disaster it turned out to be, and that the vast majority of us less informed commoners predicted.

Just what did he put losing the game down to? The game having too much scoring .. needed to be shutdown even more...?
He said pies only kicked 9 goals and only had 4 forward entries in the last quarter.
Nobody asked him why we lost. Think he has the media completely covered-they never ask him the really pertinent questions.

Many are saying Tim Paine stuffed up in the 3rd Ashes test. He more than redeemed himself in the 4th Test. Its up to Scott, the team and everyone behind the scenes now to redeem themselves

He said pies only kicked 9 goals and only had 4 forward entries in the last quarter.
Nobody asked him why we lost. Think he has the media completely covered-they never ask him the really pertinent questions.

They're not going to though. Access to coaches is their lifeline. They won't jeopardise that by actually pressing him.

Anyone who is clamouring to have Scott come out and cop his right whack for the atrocious call to omit Stanley should recognise that it's as likely as a Suns flag in 2020.

What's far more concerning for me then is not whether he is prepared to acknowledge the mistake publicly; it's whether he actually truly believes that the madness that I believe pervaded team selection for Friday was actually just the still unrecognised genius of our MC.

I don't need him to be a bigger man than Arthur Fonzarelli. I just need him to be able to admit internally that it was a monumental mistake and learn from it.

And team selection for Friday night will probably tell me everything I need to know on that front.
Thats what everyone said when stanley was brought back for the carlton game after martin smashed blicavs a week before. Stanley will come back this week as blicavs thumping is in everyones memory. It doesnt mean anything. Stanley is just as likely to be dropped for a prelim or grand final once everyone has forgotton again and focussing on scotts great semi final win.

They're not going to though. Access to coaches is their lifeline. They won't jeopardise that by actually pressing him.
Yep, agree-but it’d be great if they really tried to get Scott to really answer -push him. They always let it go after the stock standard questions.
For example when one media guy questioned the set up-as in why change what worked in round 23- Scott said why not look at what we did against north where 1 goal was scored against us. ( although bit hard to tell what he was on about, he is so obtuse-lol).
The reporter should have followed on with -maybe what works for a home and away in Geelong is different from what works in the finals on the G? Make him more accountable. Ask him why our forward line with an all Australian could only kick 50 points and what can be done about improving that? Etc.

Last edited:
Thats what everyone said when stanley was brought back for the carlton game after martin smashed blicavs a week before. Stanley will come back this week as blicavs thumping is in everyones memory. It doesnt mean anything. Stanley is just as likely to be dropped for a prelim or grand final once everyone has forgotton again and focussing on scotts great semi final win.

It will at least mean that we are not screwing our team balance for no good reason against the Weagles this weekend. Given the number of incongruous decisions made by this MC, though, I agree that it won't guarantee anything about the selection policy for any games that might follow.

And it is still possible (although entirely risible and foolhardy) that they just press on without Stanley for the SF as well.

After all, once you've entered the Bizarro World that is our current approach to team selection, every scenario (no matter how inane) suddenly becomes frighteningly possible.

- said Chris Scott never

Damn it, I read that all the way through before I realised you were taking the piss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back