Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a joke? They bullied us not so long ago - following the nth Melb blueprint. Both teams smashed us.
Giants the only club to win a final each of the past 4 years. Not chokers as had been suggested. Are physical come finals time and did get the better of us for that reason in the H&A season as you suggest.

Eagles or GWS?
Eagles - Nik Nat - provoked my arse!

He has a track record - and deliberately pushed a player head first towards the fence.

The AFL interfered with a tribunal decision to ensure he would be playing.

THEY also have a track record - years back with Paul Williams having a mandatory 1 week suspension for abusing an umpire downgraded because he was front runner in the Brownlow for their then pet Sydney Swans expansion franchise.

The AFL are blatantly interfering in their own rules when it appears likely to cost their precious expansion clubs a chance at a flag and I'm sick of it.

I think Varcoe could tag Martin effectively if we meet in the GF.
I'd back in Crisp for the role, rather than Varcoe. If he switches back or if in the middle, Crisp is the better bet. Taller, stronger and probably fitter than Varcoe.
Crisp 190cm/83kg. Martin 187cm/86kg Varcoe 180cm and 80kg. Didn't Howe go with him when he moved forward earlier in the season with some success?

Everyone happy to ignore a self satisfied smirker actually.

You like that type of thing great I don't and it's MY choice so just move on.
If that is the case why are you responding? Keep ignoring :cool:

I'd back in Crisp for the role, rather than Varcoe. If he switches back or if in the middle, Crisp is the better bet. Taller, stronger and probably fitter than Varcoe.
Crisp 190cm/83kg. Martin 187cm/86kg Varcoe 180cm and 80kg. Didn't Howe go with him when he moved forward earlier in the season with some success?
I agree with you. Crisp would be my first choice, followed by Maynard. It needs to be someone physically combative and of especially strong character. A hard nut.

Agreed re Wells. This his chance. He was bought to the club to be exactly that, the X-Factor that wins us a flag/s.

If his body can't hold up in the 2 weeks when the club needs him the most, what does he offer us?

It's 2 games of football (and would be on limited minutes), not asking for the world (aka a season or even a month of football), but 2 matches, and I think like T Boyd of the dogs, all the headaches he has caused us will be quickly forgiven.

Cmon, lets get real... The only factor Mr Wells is showing at the moment is the eX one.... i.e. he looks like an ex AFL footballer, not fit and has a dicky knee...two weeks fantasizing on here isn't gonna change things..

Oh jeez, here we go again. Another two weeks of people calling for a limping unfit Wells to be played.......

It ain't happening. Forget it.

Newsflash. None of us are selectors, we're just shooting our opinion.

Wells looked slow and unfit before the Sydney game and look at the half he produced. Don't just dismiss others because you might not agree with it.

Cmon, lets get real... The only factor Mr Wells is showing at the moment is the eX one.... i.e. he looks like an ex AFL footballer, not fit and has a dicky knee...two weeks fantasizing on here isn't gonna change things..
Two weeks of denial of the possibility won't change things either - if DeGoo doesn't get up and either of Stevo or Billy get injured Wells comes into the frame.

Fitness comes and goes but class skills never change.

Not my personal choice but then again I'm not trying to transfer my personal prejudices into team selection either.

Newsflash. None of us are selectors, we're just shooting our opinion.

Wells looked slow and unfit before the Sydney game and look at the half he produced. Don't just dismiss others because you might not agree with it.
He had about 6 VFL games in a row before that Sydney game. He hasn't played a game now since that Sydney game which was back on 24 May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree that Crisp is our man for Dusty if we play the Tigers.

If he isn't fit and his knee can't get him through 2 games of football then he doesn't play, simple as that. For mine it also means he doesn't stay on the list next year (doubt this was going to be the case anyway).

Agree to disagree on the X-Factor bit, if fit and able to go I think he would still offer something in our forward half. Only needs limited disposals to have an impact.

It's important we get the other 2 lads back. They're far better posters than what I am.

I'm here until the end of the finals.

Accepted a position over at JP Morgan in New York re. 4 mths probation with a view to permanent role. So I should be back by Feb as I plan on spending my time wisely there by frequenting all the jazz clubs in town.

He had about 6 VFL games in a row before that Sydney game. He hasn't played a game now since that Sydney game which was back on 24 May.
He shouldn't play all things being equal but for this club and it's continual misfortune with injuries lately things are rarely equal.

A key injury or two to X factor players and he comes into consideration whether we like it or not.

Selectors aren't influenced by such things as like and dislike - its a cut and dried 'can they deliver on the role we envisage for them?'

If that role is 10 minute bursts from the bench then yes he would be capable.

Hopefully we don't need to test that hypothetical.

Two weeks of denial of the possibility won't change things either - if DeGoo doesn't get up and either of Stevo or Billy get injured Wells comes into the frame.

Fitness comes and goes but class skills never change.

Not my personal choice but then again I'm not trying to transfer my personal prejudices into team selection either.

Actually I'm willing to bet class skills deteriorate with age... either way, that frame is gonna need to be a wide one for Wellsy to squeeze through..

Actually I'm willing to bet class skills deteriorate with age... either way, that frame is gonna need to be a wide one for Wellsy to squeeze through..
Actually you would do your dough, the execution may falter once past the fourties but many senior athletes and sports stars remain in the top 10 percentile.

Never heard of the senior circuit for many international sports then?

Excellence isn't the exclusive domain of youth Mukesh.

But getting back to the subject in hand - he has three weeks to make an impression and if injuries intervene and the selectors are convinced he can play 10 minute bursts off the bench he WILL come into calculations.

Hopefully this is all just an academic exercise but please investigate the senior circuit before making such outrageous claims.

It's important we get the other 2 lads back. They're far better posters than what I am.

I'm here until the end of the finals.

Accepted a position over at JP Morgan in New York re. 4 mths probation with a view to permanent role. So I should be back by Feb as I plan on spending my time wisely there by frequenting all the jazz clubs in town.
Think their offices are in Trump Tower :)
One step up from Oakleigh Maul - not sure about Souvs in Big Apple - they go for "VP on a Hero"

Oh jeez, here we go again. Another two weeks of people calling for a limping unfit Wells to be played.......

It ain't happening. Forget it.

How'd he go in the praccy game Friday? How has his training been? That'd be the Hawks VFL game and the run against the Cats under the belt now. How many more hitouts would he need in your view?

Of course it could happen if there a number of injuries. That's pretty unlikely.

Anyway, you will see that posters are wanting him in the team anyway (regardless of injury) as some sort of Hail Mary solution.

It's not happening barring catastrophe at training.

We've got an injured forward and an injured defender to replace already. And that's without even discussing the form of a few players in the senior side already. I would prefer to see someone like Reid replace JDG because I think that gives us better structure, but guys like Varcoe and Wells must surely also be in the conversation for that position. Then there's the discussion about whether Brown deserves to hold his spot. I'm just not seeing it as a "hail Mary" solution, more so just another viable option.

How'd he go in the praccy game Friday? How has his training been? That'd be the Hawks VFL game and the run against the Cats under the belt now. How many more hitouts would he need in your view?
The answer to the first two questions is "ordinary". Reported to be overweight and limping.

I reckon he needs at least another couple of hit outs (ideally 4, but at least 2).

Yep real classy the fat snide remarks.

He’s actually fine in fitness and looks fine.

The legs might not get there.

But the snide fat stuff is a bit rude in
My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back