Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The answer to the first two questions is "ordinary". Reported to be overweight and limping.

I reckon he needs at least another couple of hit outs (ideally 4, but at least 2).

I watched the Hawks game on TV and he may well be less than chiseled, but it's bloody hard to gauge how much if any additional weight he's carrying. Also thought he moved pretty well in that game, good agility, some nice bursts of pace. Had something like 19-20 possessions, 5-6 marks playing predominantly across HB. Seemed a pretty solid game to me. Doesn't seem to be anything more or less than he was doing at VFL level prior to selection for the Sydney game.

dook

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Juventus
Eagles - Nik Nat - provoked my arse!

He has a track record - and deliberately pushed a player head first towards the fence.

The AFL interfered with a tribunal decision to ensure he would be playing.

THEY also have a track record - years back with Paul Williams having a mandatory 1 week suspension for abusing an umpire downgraded because he was front runner in the Brownlow for their then pet Sydney Swans expansion franchise.

The AFL are blatantly interfering in their own rules when it appears likely to cost their precious expansion clubs a chance at a flag and I'm sick of it.
Brown at the lions for finals. Hall at Sydney for finals.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd back in Crisp for the role, rather than Varcoe. If he switches back or if in the middle, Crisp is the better bet. Taller, stronger and probably fitter than Varcoe.
Crisp 190cm/83kg. Martin 187cm/86kg Varcoe 180cm and 80kg. Didn't Howe go with him when he moved forward earlier in the season with some success?
I’m picturing Willsy grabbing him by his fending arm, swinging him 720 degrees and 30 metres into the Richmond backline. Has he ever been down there? 😊

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m picturing Willsy grabbing him by his fending arm, swinging him 720 degrees and 30 metres into the Richmond backline. Has he ever been down there? 😊
Seriously though if we happen to play off in the GF we may just leave him to Wills, Pendlebury, Adams at centre bounces and stoppages and go with Howe again when he’s forward.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not the right strategy for that ****** sticking his little whitey hand out. Willsy needs to go low and HARD, aim just below the hip joint at full belt.

That smart arsed bastard has been getting away with it for too long time to make him pay for it.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The whole debate with Brown, Varcoe and/or Wells is that it if could choose a player to have :
12 disposals
2 tackles

Most/all posters would probably choose Wells to be that player.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not the right strategy for that ****** sticking his little whitey hand out. Willsy needs to go low and HARD, aim just below the hip joint at full belt.

That smart arsed bastard has been getting away with it for too long time to make him pay for it.
Maxy should have some contacts at the Storm that could help with this technique.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually you would do your dough, the execution may falter once past the fourties but many senior athletes and sports stars remain in the top 10 percentile.

Never heard of the senior circuit for many international sports then?

Excellence isn't the exclusive domain of youth Mukesh.

But getting back to the subject in hand - he has three weeks to make an impression and if injuries intervene and the selectors are convinced he can play 10 minute bursts off the bench he WILL come into calculations.

Hopefully this is all just an academic exercise but please investigate the senior circuit before making such outrageous claims.

OK, we can let the matter of Mr Wells rest... as the guru said "we'll see.."

Outrageous ? Yeah, OK I should bite my tongue... but you've sucked me in...

I'm somewhat aware of the senior sports circuit, having played baseball at the World Masters Games on several occasions. In addition to keen amateurs of variable skills these games attract ex professional and Olympic standard players over the age of 35 (I think it's 35, anyway I'm 25 years clear of that mark now). Now the thing is we are talking relative skill levels. None of us will claim our skills are as sharp/clean as they were when we were, say 25. Nevertheless in comparison to the general populace of players the same age, the skill level is much higher. 90th percentile ? I dunno, maybe one or two freaks... But the point is, no matter how good/classy/skilled we were 'back in the day', nobody believes they could realistically still compete at the highest level...

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep real classy the fat snide remarks.

He’s actually fine in fitness and looks fine.

The legs might not get there.

But the snide fat stuff is a bit rude in
My opinion.

His fitness is fine but his legs might not get there.. ? not sure what that means... What you took as fat shaming wasn't meant as such. I meant if the selection frame included Daniel then said frame will need to be pretty wide because I suspect there are several others players standing in the same frame..

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
OK, we can let the matter of Mr Wells rest... as the guru said "we'll see.."

Outrageous ? Yeah, OK I should bite my tongue... but you've sucked me in...

I'm somewhat aware of the senior sports circuit, having played baseball at the World Masters Games on several occasions. In addition to keen amateurs of variable skills these games attract ex professional and Olympic standard players over the age of 35 (I think it's 35, anyway I'm 25 years clear of that mark now). Now the thing is we are talking relative skill levels. None of us will claim our skills are as sharp/clean as they were when we were, say 25. Nevertheless in comparison to the general populace of players the same age, the skill level is much higher. 90th percentile ? I dunno, maybe one or two freaks... But the point is, no matter how good/classy/skilled we were 'back in the day', nobody believes they could realistically still compete at the highest level...
So you regard amateurs as second rate?

In that case you should do some research my friend.

The term 'amateur' means quite literally 'for the love of' and refers to a state of professionalism or otherwise - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the level of skill or expertise.

The Olympics used to be a shining example of this, though now sadly tainted due to the penetration of eastern and western bloc professionals.

In fact I take serious offense at the implication that 'keen amateurs' are lesser that professionals.

It's true that professionals have more time and resources to devote to their chosen 'occupation' but being 'at work' is not the same as competing hard and fair in the sport you love.

You should be well aware of this and I find it disappointing that someone of your experience and knowledge would endorse such an elitist attitude.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
His fitness is fine but his legs might not get there.. ? not sure what that means... What you took as fat shaming wasn't meant as such. I meant if the selection frame included Daniel then said frame will need to be pretty wide because I suspect there are several others players standing in the same frame..
Fair enough.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you regard amateurs as second rate?

In that case you should do some research my friend.

The term 'amateur' means quite literally 'for the love of' and refers to a state of professionalism or otherwise - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the level of skill or expertise.

The Olympics used to be a shining example of this, though now sadly tainted due to the penetration of eastern and western bloc professionals.

In fact I take serious offense at the implication that 'keen amateurs' are lesser that professionals.

It's true that professionals have more time and resources to devote to their chosen 'occupation' but being 'at work' is not the same as competing hard and fair in the sport you love.

You should be well aware of this and I find it disappointing that someone of your experience and knowledge would endorse such an elitist attitude.

Did I say amateur equals second rate ?? No I didn't... you know exactly what I meant but chose to take the conversation off into the weeds..

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone look At Richmond and their injury list?

Rance

And Jack Higgins
Stack under a test.

That’s it.

So only one bona fide star.

Just interesting.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did I say amateur equals second rate ?? No I didn't... you know exactly what I meant but chose to take the conversation off into the weeds..
You left it open for interpretation, I'm calling you out to make sure you state exactly what you think of 'keen amateurs' you wrote it not me.

Maxy should have some contacts at the Storm that could help with this technique.
He doesn’t need any help.
Watch him tackle, he has a Rugby background and tackles accordingly.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
He doesn’t need any help.
Watch him tackle, he has a Rugby background and tackles accordingly.
Didn't know about the Rugby background. It's certainly evident as pretty much everyone he tackles ends up on the turf. Another astute poster noted the way he uses his weight in the tackle which also reflects that background.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'd back in Crisp for the role, rather than Varcoe. If he switches back or if in the middle, Crisp is the better bet. Taller, stronger and probably fitter than Varcoe.
Crisp 190cm/83kg. Martin 187cm/86kg Varcoe 180cm and 80kg. Didn't Howe go with him when he moved forward earlier in the season with some success?

The logical choice for Martin is Howe. He's done the role before and won it. Especially considering Roughead and Moore are back on the talls so Howe isnt needed on a tall.

Last edited:
The logical choice for Martin is Howe. He's done the role before and won it. Especially considering Roughead and Moore are back on the talls so Howe needed on a tall.

Maynard is the killer atm I would have him go to Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back