Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the sitch with the Dunny man?
He's only just progressed to running recently. He wants to play on next year but we haven't opened up talks yet. He's that desperate to keep playing that he is open to seeking a third club and even nominating for the supplemental selection period next year. That's all according to Fox Sports late last week.

He's only just progressed to running recently. He wants to play on next year but we haven't opened up talks yet. He's that desperate to keep playing that he is open to seeking a third club and even nominating for the supplemental selection period next year. That's all according to Fox Sports late last week.

Wow - didn't realise that. I was expecting that - give his situation (age/ACL) and his "heart and soul" status at Collingwood - it would've been Collingwood or nothing. I would be very surprised if he got onto another AFL list at this point. We should try and keep him but preferably VFL on a path to coaching.

Wow - didn't realise that. I was expecting that - give his situation (age/ACL) and his "heart and soul" status at Collingwood - it would've been Collingwood or nothing. I would be very surprised if he got onto another AFL list at this point. We should try and keep him but preferably VFL on a path to coaching.

VFL has a very limited salary cap of something just north of $200k unless I'm mistaken. Makes it tough to transition senior listed players and continue to retain our VFL list.

I reckon a 1 year deal on minimum chips augmented by some coaching responsibility would be fine for Dunn. If he get's back to something like his pre-ACL injuries form then he'd genuinely challenge Roughy for his spot. If he doesn't, then he's the perfect on-field leadership to mentor the developing players at VFL level.

Would allow the club to continue with the Kelly forward experiment, foster Keane's development, and free up Madgen to a role I think he's better suited to like a 3rd tall or Mayne like wing role.

Last edited:
So did Dunn not retire? He didn’t have a presentation or anything, maybe more to play out?

Tbh think he has more to offer than Reid in 2020 so wouldn’t be surprised if he was given another year potentially on the rookie list.

Just an idea from left field......he has aspirations to Coach in the future (helps out with the AFLW) and we have lost Longmuire.

Kill two birds with one stone......one year contract as a player if he is required but he takes over coaching our back line.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Someone explain to me how we can think he has more to offer than Reid in 2020?

I mean he’s been very good for us during his spell here but he is 32 now coming off successive back to back knee reconstructions.

He will be 33 next season and for a man of his size and age this is alarm bells.

As sad as it is, there’s no way we can rely on Dunn in any capacity across any level other than off field in 2020

You can’t be serious?
I was thinking forget about him playing at all
As a back up yes, if he stays
Did l say they should, no, only if he stays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t cost us much and aside from 2 knees his body will be in good nick
Certainly worth retaining at a low price

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are we retaining though?
Back to back knees at 33....if he’s playing games next season then we are seriously cooked.

There’s just no sound logic in this for mine irrespective of how cheap he may be

I think it's pointless now retaining Dunn as a player. 33 next season and nearly
two years on the sidelines, is just a list clogger now. If he was an exceptional talent maybe but he isn't, unfortunately. Harsh but true and it's an easy way to open up a little cap space too. Love for him to stay at the club but not in a player capacity.

Someone explain to me how we can think he has more to offer than Reid in 2020?

I mean he’s been very good for us during his spell here but he is 32 now coming off successive back to back knee reconstructions.

He will be 33 next season and for a man of his size and age this is alarm bells.

As sad as it is, there’s no way we can rely on Dunn in any capacity across any level other than off field in 2020
True, love the guy but he’s well past his best and two knee reco’s, I do worry.

Won’t cost us much and aside from 2 knees his body will be in good nick
Certainly worth retaining at a low price

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can get a new kid for a low price who can maybe develop into something special. Dunn will offer nothing other than leadership which he can do in another coaching capacity capacity.

You can get a new kid for a low price who can maybe develop into something special. Dunn will offer nothing other than leadership which he can do in another coaching capacity capacity.
I wouldn't keep Dunn becasue I think we're fine for aerial defenders, but a new kid picked at the death in the draft is very unlikely to be ready to cover as depth in Year 1. Therefore i'm happy with Reid and Varcoe. Think it makes sense if they're on cheap as chips contracts. I'm all for cheap as chips depth - veterans on minimum wage and newly drafted mature agers, rather than mid 20s guys.

By all reports he has coaching credentials. I'd sign him to the VFL side and give him some coaching duties. We need the VFL side to be a lot stronger if we want to be able to play players close to selection and/or returning from injury in September. Our VFL side has been poor for too long.

Keeping all these "aged warriors" simply because they're cheap means we're after Cameron next year in a BIG way.
So why wouldn't we also keep Goldsack and Wells if that was the plan?

Who have we kept?....Varcoe and Reid (no decision yet on Dunn) both very capable of playing 15 or so games next year

You put that together and say Ah-Ha, that can only mean we are after Cameron

Yeah, nah

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back