Coach Jade Rawlings - sacked by NMFC w/ 2yr to run on contract

Remove this Banner Ad

to our New Senior Assistant Coach:
Coach Scamper, My Little Geelong Cat:
4954.jpeg
Meows the following:

There has been talk about Shaw wanting a mentor and apparently we were interested in Alan Richardson for that job. Having missed out on Richardson and appointed Jade Rawlings as Senior Assistant Coach are we still looking for a mentor? As for Rawlings' appointment, we need to follow Shaw's wishes in that regard and apparently he was keen for Rawlings

Jade Rawlings says Rhyce Shaw’s vision for the future helped him make the tough decision to leave Melbourne.

After eight seasons at the Demons, Rawlings joins North Melbourne as senior assistant coach for 2020 and beyond.

“I didn’t come to the decision lightly. I’ve been absolutely wedded to Melbourne for the last eight years,” he said on RSN.

“(I’ve) been through pretty much everything with them without quite getting to the top of the peak.

“Rhyce Shaw was keen to have a chat, and after spoke I identified with Rhyce very quickly as a person, and as a football person.

“It was quite clear where he sees the group are currently at, and where he believes they can get to.”

"Rhyce’s understanding of where they’re at really impressed me.

"They made some serious adjustments or improvements when he took over, but he doesn’t think that’s their cap.

"There’s a lot of match-winners in that team.

"When you go up against opposition you think about how many players concern you, and I think the Kangaroos have a lot of those.

The highly-respected Rawlings will take on a more senior role with the Roos, and can’t wait to get started at his new club.

“I was probably looking for a bit more meat on the bone in terms of the role, and Rhyce and North Melbourne were able to provide that. I’m genuinely excited about.”

Rawlings’ brother, Brady, a 245-game club champion will return to North Melbourne as the general manager of football in December.

“The decision was independent from my brother,” he said.

“Rhyce was the driver of this, and it’s a bonus that my brother will be the football manager.”

It won’t be completely unfamiliar territory for Jade either, having played three games at North back in 2006.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-09-10/rawlings-looks-to-future

I spoke with some GoDees diehards this morning and they were shattered to lose Jade. As they put it "losing others like Viney etc is just deflecting away from the real issue............the coach. We saw Jade as the immediate fix if and when the coach was to be moved on. The fans love him, as do the players."

I spoke with some GoDees diehards this morning and they were shattered to lose Jade. As they put it "losing others like Viney etc is just deflecting away from the real issue............the coach. We saw Jade as the immediate fix if and when the coach was to be moved on. The fans love him, as do the players."
You sure do know a lot of opposition people...

You sure do know a lot of opposition people...

lol

As do we all. This couple are so pissed off with their club that they told me they'd handed in their reserved seats, which they'd cherished for 20+ years.

When they handed them in the club's "ah well, they'll go to someone else who wants them in a flash" response pissed them off doubly so.

lol

As do we all. This couple are so pi**ed off with their club that they told me they'd handed in their reserved seats, which they'd cherished for 20+ years.

When they handed them in the club's "ah well, they'll go to someone else who wants them in a flash" response pi**ed them off doubly so.
Welcome them to North.

Mate of mine was equally pissed off. Messaged me that we’d taken their best coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that Shaw said that he quickly identified Jade as someone that he wanted to bring in as his senior assistant.

Has he worked in the same organisation as Jade before? If not, I wonder how he came to that decision. Perhaps he has really good references and is respected in coaching circles.
Paul Roos stated the other day that Rawling was a great get for us. In speaking about some other subject regarding assistant coaching.......he brushed over Rawlings to Nth Melb, then went back and reiterated that Rawlings was a very good get for us.

When you see the list of Coaches he has played/trained under worked with as an ass. coach, he has worked with some experienced coaches.
I believe he has built up over time a decent skill set to be a decent supporting coach.

When you see the list of Coaches he has played/trained under worked with as an ass. coach, he has worked with some experienced coaches.

I believe he has built up over time a decent skill set to be a decent supporting coach.

Off the top of my head:
Judge - yeh/nah
Schwab - yeh/nah
Rohde - no
Laidley (v2006) - yeh/nah
Wallace (Richmond version) - no
Voss - no
Neeld - no
Roos - yes
Goodwin - yeh/nah

Not exactly a who's who of coaching winners there.

That's not to write him off, just that most senior coaches he's worked with are flaccid.

Off the top of my head:
Judge - yeh/nah
Schwab - yeh/nah
Rohde - no
Voss - no
Neeld - no
Roos - yes
Goodwin - yeh/nah

That's not to write him off, just that most senior coaches he's worked with are flaccid.
you always learn more in failure and least he knows not what to do..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the top of my head:
Judge - yeh/nah
Schwab - yeh/nah
Rohde - no
Voss - no
Neeld - no
Roos - yes
Goodwin - yeh/nah

I'm about as excited for this as I was when Bradley Plain nominated us back in the day.

Paul Roos stated the other day that Rawling was a great get for us. In speaking about some other subject regarding assistant coaching.......he brushed over Rawlings to Nth Melb, then went back and reiterated that Rawlings was a very good get for us.

Worked under... ass coach... I am connecting dots.

Runner crackdown cost Demons, rolling footy news for Tuesday

September 10, 2019
Al Paton

Former Melbourne assistant coach Jade Rawlings says the AFL's crackdown on runners contributed to the Demons' dramatic dive this season.

Rawlings, who this week accepted a new job at North Melbourne, said a lack of on-field leadership left the Dees exposed when coaches couldn’t get a message out.

“The runner thing absolutely killed us, as a young group,” Rawlings said on RSN radio.

“The AFL, I’m sure, didn’t do it to discriminate against younger lists but we were quite immature across the ground at Melbourne, (there were) some leaders at certain parts but overall quite inexperienced, so the runner thing really kills you.”

The AFL introduced restrictions this season so runners could only enter the field of play after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

AFL coaches have expressed frustration at the change, and Rawlings said its full impact only became apparent when he moved from the job of coaching the Demons’ VFL affiliate Casey Demons into Simon Goodwin’s coaches box mid-season.

“At VFL there’s no restrictions and if you’ve got a discipline issue with a player you remove him from the ground, chat to him on the phone and then realign him – Goody doesn’t get that chance, all our AFL coaches don’t get that opportunity,” he said.

“The maturity to be able to send a message out to a player, and that’s spread across across the field, how well drilled your runner is to get key things done in a short period of time – it’s very challenging.

“It’s a real art form to be able to maximise your communication from the box to the bench to the ground.”

Rawlings said the Demons also suffered from having a large chunk of their list unavailable for much of the pre-season.

“The chemistry part was one of the biggest things we lost through the summer.

“I was watching our midfield coaches take area training and it was full of our first-year players because everyone was coming off surgery or still rehabilitating.”

Rawlings said he expected North Melbourne to improve further next season and was impressed by the number of “matchwinners” on the Kangaroos list

Not thrilled about this appointment.

Had hardly had any success and many of the groups he has taken care of have under performed.

Would’ve loved someone like Francou or Sumich who are highly regarded for their player development.

Anyone know if Crocks will be continuing his role as director of coaching? I feel we could do with an experienced senior coach and a fresh set of eyes to oversee And mentor rhys’ development.

Last edited:

After 13 years in varying coaching roles, Jade Rawlings says he wanted to play a bigger role at an AFL club.

“I was looking for more meat on the bone.” he told RSN 927’s the Breakfast Club.

Having spent eight years at Melbourne, Rawlings has accepted a job as assistant coach to Rhyce Shaw at North Melbourne.

“I did not come to the decision lightly. The role was right for me,” he said.

Rawlings said the fact that his brother, Brady, had recently been appointed a general manager of football at Arden Street had nothing to do with the move.

“Rhyce (Shaw) was the driver of this. It’s a bonus that my brother’s there as well.”

He said Shaw had impressed him with his authenticity, care for people and the fact that he is a genuine football person. “It’s quite clear where he sees the group at and where it can go to.”

Rawlings said he had nothing but admiration for everyone at Melbourne and said senior coach, Simon Goodwin, and football manager, Josh Mahoney had been very understanding of his situation.

“I had been through everything you can go through at Melbourne except climbing the peak (getting to the grand final) and I had another year on my contract,” he said.

“All Melbourne did for me was give me opportunity.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back