No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free in terms of picks yes, not in salary cap though.
Frost is not going to command serious dollars and it sounds like the Melb cap has a squeeze after they brought in May and Lever

I don’t think there is any chance Frost becomes a DFA, we will have to trade if we want him

Apparently was spotted at Waverley yesterday. Anyone able to confirm this?
Why not DFA? If dees have cap squeeze they need to delist some. Would other clubs offer picks?

Why not DFA? If dees have cap squeeze they need to delist some. Would other clubs offer picks?
Gee I hope we could get him as a dfa but it’s not as if Melb don’t want him. Their offer may be lower than what the Hawks may be offering eg $100k difference per year. Hence they would trade him if he isn’t going to sign rather than lose him for nothing
Remember we gave Lewis away to the Dees for a 4th round selection or whatever it was
As a dfa he is no guarantee to get to the Hawks if that is where he wanted to be

But I would’t think he is being recruited to be the mainstay of the backline, at least not long term. But we do have an urgent need for the next 3-5 years if you look deeply at our backline stocks

To my knowledge we did this with Henderson. Adelaide had a 1 year deal on the table to facilitate a trade. Hendo decided to not sign, Adelaide had no choice but to delist him and we signed him as a DFA.
If you offer a contract, and it is refused, you can trade. You do have a choice. If Henderson was an UFA, it doesn't apply, but if not, Adelaide could have asked for a trade. They chose not to because they didn't really want him, but it was their choice

Otherwise any player could just refuse to sign any contract, and go to their new club for nothing.

Gee I hope we could get him as a dfa but it’s not as if Melb don’t want him. Their offer may be lower than what the Hawks may be offering eg $100k difference per year. Hence they would trade him if he isn’t going to sign rather than lose him for nothing
Remember we gave Lewis away to the Dees for a 4th round selection or whatever it was
As a dfa he is no guarantee to get to the Hawks if that is where he wanted to be

But I would’t think he is being recruited to be the mainstay of the backline, at least not long term. But we do have an urgent need for the next 3-5 years if you look deeply at our backline stocks

If he’s a DFA he gets to where he wants to.

He is exactly the type of player FA was set up for.

If you offer a contract, and it is refused, you can trade. You do have a choice. If Henderson was an UFA, it doesn't apply, but if not, Adelaide could have asked for a trade. They chose not to because they didn't really want him, but it was their choice

Otherwise any player could just refuse to sign any contract, and go to their new club for nothing.

Thanks for clarifying that - Hendo was an UFA. Unfortunately I don’t think Frost qualifies so we can’t do the same thing

If he’s a DFA he gets to where he wants to.

He is exactly the type of player FA was set up for.
Exactly, gone are the days clubs can hold players over the barrel and make them sign unders or miss out.

If Frost wants to move to hawthorn he will. If dees are unreasonable at the trade table and dont offer him fair compensation why would he stick around on unders.

Please. Remember Clarkson TEAM DEFENCE. They are ALL potential role players within a TEAM defence
Keath, Carlisle, Frost.......TEAM defence.

Frost might be lucrative because of trade collateral cost. This could be become a common factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have suspicions something is up. Frost will be a bit player if in fact correct. From what I hear, he is one of a couple we are speaking to in the KPD space. Frost was muted in the Lewis deal.

Every contact I have saying the same. Just think fundamentals. We budgeted for 1.1m for Cogs, possibly $1.5m first year front ended. I understood back in June we were expecting an additional net $1.5m based on List movements.
Simply that is nearly $3m pure. My numbers might be slightly out..........but still !!!
Something has to give with Plan B. or C.

Cap space is not the issue. Trade or Draft collateral is.
This is GW’s challenge.
Role the left over money to front load contracts and go hard at next years free agents? At my last count there's 10 big names next year all in our ideal age bracket.

Sounds like Frost will be delisted. A DFA scenario makes more sense.

Hed be 5th in line behind May, Lever, Tomlinson and McDonald.
You mean based on what's been said here? Delisting is extremely unlikely.

I'm sure that he'd be the first under 30 to be delisted after playing every game that year. It doesn't make sense when he's worth a second/third rounder to the right club.

One last comment.
There is more speculation tonight around Whitfield.

My comment is simple.

I have heard this s**t for three years.
Lachy, if you want this to happen.... stop ******* around.......declare your intentions. You want to be a hawk, as the myth suggests. DECLARE SO. We do not need another Cogs soap opera !!

If not, fine, let us know so we can change strategy/targets, BUT we just need to know.

There are other fish.......!!!

Role the left over money to front load contracts and go hard at next years free agents? At my last count there's 10 big names next year all in our ideal age bracket.

Don’t have a problem with this. It is a very viable strategic option. Reason why the Whitfield question needs to be ratified even in the short term.
Commit Lachie or not either way.
There are other GW potentials. This year or next.

Don’t have a problem with this. It is a very viable strategic option. Reason why the Whitfield question needs to be ratified even in the short term.
Commit Lachie or not either way.
There are other GW potentials. This year or next.
I was told around the time of the Cogs signing to not give up on Whitfield this year or next.

There's a legitimate chance the AFL will stop this from happening if there's a sniff of him nominating us though. My usual source told me this and Ash Browne also said last week, GWS literally don't have to worry about a salary cap.

It'll only happen if he wants to play in Victoria because GWS will be able to offer much more money then us or any other Victorian based club.

One last comment.
There is more speculation tonight around Whitfield.

My comment is simple.

I have heard this s**t for three years.
Lachy, if you want this to happen.... stop ******* around.......declare your intentions. You want to be a hawk, as the myth suggests. DECLARE SO. We do not need another Cogs soap opera !!

If not, fine, let us know so we can change strategy/targets, BUT we just need to know.

There are other fish.......!!!

This article from last week made me feel like we’re no chance. I certainly don’t hold as much hope as I once did.

102AB58B-E51F-4867-A7D8-45B2B383F0B3.jpeg

Regarding Frost, at first, it was a no from me. In fact I lolled at him many times this year.

But if those at Hawthorn that have the experience, skill, and nous to bring in players, think he has what it takes, I'm all for it. That is their paid job. They know his strengths and weaknesses. They no better than me, and most likely better than anyone else here on BF. If they in fact wanted Frost, they see him playing a positive role for us. They must believe they can make him the player we need.

I say get him if the Hawks hierarchy want him.

I was told around the time of the Cogs signing to not give up on Whitfield this year or next.

There's a legitimate chance the AFL will stop this from happening if there's a sniff of him nominating us though. My usual source told me this and Ash Browne also said last week, GWS literally don't have to worry about a salary cap.

It'll only happen if he wants to play in Victoria because GWS will be able to offer much more money then us or any other Victorian based club.
I would've thought all clubs are aware of this now.

It's no longer an even playing field. Gil has declared his hand.

So Frost is the big fish. Interesting

We've had that fish in the freezer for awhile. Now we turn our attention to another GWS media circus performer Whitfield looking for daddy Gils side pocket handouts. If he loves Hawthorn so much lets see if he signs on the dotted line once they get bundled out. I wouldn't deal with GWS player managers anymore if I was the hawks! Fools gold. Were clearing the books for GWS so they can re-sign the BIG fish. Hawks getting played two ways.
Hawks need to go to places where they found puopolo/ breust and smith. Go picking in side alley record stores like all good DJ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back